• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Bangladesh 2010

Flem274*

123/5
Bump. Now end it.

I don't care if you have a grudge to settle with someone who's already posted something confronting in this thread; I don't care if your life depends on posting about the West Indies in this thread - cut it out. You do not have a right to reply once you see a post like the above from f_o_s, no matter what.

I'll be deleting any further WI-related posts in here and if it gets out of control again, there might be a banning or two.
Heh, posted at the same time as I reported. Get out of my brain Cribb.:ph34r:

smash84

The Tiger King
Don't joke about these things.:ph34r:
Yeah man. This is pretty serious stuff. Following Pak cricket has been a hellish experience since the last England test. It is quite traumatic for the fans. And these days the fans are just too sensitive. You never know. They might even buy this as true.

T-Dub

Cricket Spectator
Nothing. With the world cup coming up I doubt we'll see anything to drastic happen, a couple of the hangers on might get the boot but that's about it.
Such a shame that this will be true.

The old say goes, if nothing changes, nothing changes.

To my mind, NZC admin & board need some backbone and really wield the sword on some of the strange hangers-on around the team.

Vettori should be stripped of captaincy, selector and semi-coach status. If not, they obviously don't care or are too scared to do anything. There needs to be repercussions for the captain for leading the team to possibly the worst result ever for an NZ team.

Taylor should be named as captain. McCullum goes down the order to 7, Watling opens with Ryder.

Coach becomes an actual coach rather than Vettori's standby.

I just have this frustrating feeling that NZC will do nothing, maybe kick out some of the young guys when it's the leadership and team culture that is severely lacking in potency. I don't necessarily want heads to roll but I don't mind a few mantles being taken.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Watling opens with Ryder.
Not sure I agree with this. I know Watling has a lot of talent and a promising future, but I believe his performance in the 4 Bangladesh ODIs was 27 runs @ 6.75. I think that should be punished with some time out of the side.

Jamie How did well in the Champions League, so I wouldn't mind seeing him get another shot.

BeeGee

International Captain
I agree with this word for word - Cricket: NZ defeat 'embarrassing' - Sport - NZ Herald News

Surely it's time to go overseas and try and get a top quality coach again. As Doull said in the article, the pressure being put on our best player Vettori is too much, and if our best batsman Taylor hasn't scored a century 40 ODIs, it really is worrying.
To quote Simon Doull from that article "I can't see any answers." :laugh: Talk about overreaction! From the NZ perspective, the problem is obvious and the answer is simple.

Problem: NZ's top order is woefully out of form (combined average of 19.8 in the series).

Solution: Get the players back into form. It's that simple.

Ryder is returning from injury and he was always going to need some time in the middle before he gets back to his best form.
Taylor is just in a form slump, it happens to all batsmen. He'll come out of it sooner or later.
McCullum is McCullum. Brilliant one innings, horrible the next five. We just have to accept that.
The above three players are a lock for NZs top four. End of story.
The only player with a question mark is Watling. The selectors need to decide if he's the right man for the three slot. Personally I'd stick with him. I think he could be a star in that position, just give him a chance to grow into the role.

If there is one word I could say to NZ cricket and NZ cricket supporters it would be PATIENCE. Don't overreact to every setback or issue. The team is in a transitional phase right now. There are players returning from extended injuries (Ryder, Elliot), and a number of players who are new to international cricket (Williamson, McKay, Bennett, Watling). Give them a chance to find their feet.

T-Dub

Cricket Spectator
Not sure I agree with this. I know Watling has a lot of talent and a promising future, but I believe his performance in the 4 Bangladesh ODIs was 27 runs @ 6.75. I think that should be punished with some time out of the side.

Jamie How did well in the Champions League, so I wouldn't mind seeing him get another shot.
Fair points, here's my reasoning.
If you have a blaster (ryder) and an accumulator (watling) opening, you have the possibilty of someone getting a quick start with someone feeding him the strike. Blaster goes out, you've got someone left that could potentially bat sensibly through the whole innings.

Watling is young and new to ODI's, I don't think ge should be punished for doing what it seems he was told to do. I don't like the yo-yo thing NZC does with young players, they never seem to let them find their feet. Then on flip side, they persevere with others long past the time it becomes obvious the experiment hasn't worked.

In other news, it seems they're doing what I recommended. I control all!
Brendon McCullum set for move down batting order | Stuff.co.nz

Fair enough too, and Vettori confirms him stepping down as el capistan after the WC

BeeGee

International Captain
Fair points, here's my reasoning.
If you have a blaster (ryder) and an accumulator (watling) opening, you have the possibilty of someone getting a quick start with someone feeding him the strike. Blaster goes out, you've got someone left that could potentially bat sensibly through the whole innings.

Watling is young and new to ODI's, I don't think ge should be punished for doing what it seems he was told to do. I don't like the yo-yo thing NZC does with young players, they never seem to let them find their feet. Then on flip side, they persevere with others long past the time it becomes obvious the experiment hasn't worked.

In other news, it seems they're doing what I recommended. I control all!
Brendon McCullum set for move down batting order | Stuff.co.nz

Fair enough too, and Vettori confirms him stepping down as el capistan after the WC
Quoting from that Dominion Post article: "Vettori accepts the status quo won't remain and the ace up his sleeve appears to be a return to the successful tactic of chasing targets rather than setting them with McCullum and himself providing the lash in the tail."

The successful tactic of chasing targets rather than setting them? Um.... NZ chased targets in 3 of the 4 games they lost to Bangladesh!! :wacko:

T-Dub

Cricket Spectator
Vettori said he was stepping down as captain after the World Cup like a year or two ago.
This is true, but now I'm more happy about it. He's been getting way too defensive in field settings and overall style; I think that mentality has seeped into the batsmen to the point they're under confident, unable to take a calculated attack to the bowlers.

This *could* be an excellent spring clean for the black caps if the NZC have the guts to change leadership structure, and get a few less people in the BC's ears.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Regarding Bangladesh's progress..I hope this win does not get to their heads though. There is still plenty of room for improvement. The batting was still crap. Apart from, Shakib, rest failed to deliver. I was hoping some good solid knocks from Raquibul and Junaid but both failed big time.

MagaMan

Cricket Spectator
Regarding Bangladesh's progress..I hope this win does not get to their heads though. There is still plenty of room for improvement. The batting was still crap. Apart from, Shakib, rest failed to deliver. I was hoping some good solid knocks from Raquibul and Junaid but both failed big time.
Well batting was pretty much a disaster for both sides. Apart from Shakib and Nafees in the 3rd ODI, no one put in a good batting effort. Actually Nafees looked good in all the matches. He got a great delivery in the 4th ODI and he was unlucky to get out LBW in the 5th ODI when the ball kept low and it was also sliding down the leg side.

I don't think Junaid and Raquibul would be in the starting XI for the opening game in the world cup against India. If Nafees can continue batting the way he is now, he will take Junaid's spot at number 3 and Ashraful will take Raquibul's place at number 4.

Imrul Kayes was ok, but he got a number of slow starts but failed to convert them into good scores, same goes for Mushfiq and Mahmudullah. However, I am really worried about the number 8 spot in our batting line up. I just hope that Shuvo can get some runs under his belt before the World Cup. He is a pretty clean hitter of the ball.

This is my starting XI for the opening WC game against India

Tamim
Imrul
Nafees
Ashraful
Shakib
Mushfiqur
Mahmudullah
Shuvo
Mashrafe
Razzaq
Rubel/Shafiul

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Well batting was pretty much a disaster for both sides. Apart from Shakib and Nafees in the 3rd ODI, no one put in a good batting effort. Actually Nafees looked good in all the matches. He got a great delivery in the 4th ODI and he was unlucky to get out LBW in the 5th ODI when the ball kept low and it was also sliding down the leg side.

I don't think Junaid and Raquibul would be in the starting XI for the opening game in the world cup against India. If Nafees can continue batting the way he is now, he will take Junaid's spot at number 3 and Ashraful will take Raquibul's place at number 4.

Imrul Kayes was ok, but he got a number of slow starts but failed to convert them into good scores, same goes for Mushfiq and Mahmudullah. However, I am really worried about the number 8 spot in our batting line up. I just hope that Shuvo can get some runs under his belt before the World Cup. He is a pretty clean hitter of the ball.

This is my starting XI for the opening WC game against India

Tamim
Imrul
Nafees
Ashraful
Shakib
Mushfiqur
Mahmudullah
Shuvo
Mashrafe
Razzaq
Rubel/Shafiul
Welcome to CW - was hoping we would get some Bangers fans joining the forum after the series win. Hope you like it here.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well batting was pretty much a disaster for both sides. Apart from Shakib and Nafees in the 3rd ODI, no one put in a good batting effort.
If you mean no one on either side, I would disagree and say Williamson played well.

MagaMan

Cricket Spectator
If you mean no one on either side, I would disagree and say Williamson played well.
Well of course I meant from Bangladesh. Williamson was very good and so was Taylor in the 3rd ODI, he would have gotten a few more had Mahmudullah not removed the last 2 batsmen in successive deliveries.

Welcome to CW - was hoping we would get some Bangers fans joining the forum after the series win. Hope you like it here.
Thanks :) Well I was just going through some cricket forums after the series win to see what the international community thought about Bangladesh's victory and gradual progress in the ODI game, and found this forum in progress.

I wouldn't have Ashraful in there.
Well I knew a lot of people would not approve of putting Ashraful in there. Like many people in our country, I can see that many here have also given up on him.

The thing is, he is still one of the best batsmen in the country technically. He has all the shots in the book and all his problems are in his head, it's not that he lacks the ability.

The problem with Ashraful was, he was burdened with too much expectation and responsibility at a very tender age. At the mere age of 18/19, the hopes of an entire nation of 150 million people rested on the shoulders of Mohammad Ashraful. And he was just not mentally strong enough to cope with that pressure.

I remember, during games people sitting around me saying that, 'If Ashraful doesn't play well today we are screwed.' And that was basically the case almost every time Bangladesh played. If Ashraful played, we stood a decent chance of competing in that game. If he didn't, Bangladesh's hopes went then and there.

However, I thought that he was making some good progress during the 2007 World Cup where he was the best Bangladesh batsman in the tournament in my view. But the decision to give him the captaincy after the WC was one of the biggest mistakes in the history of Bangladesh cricket (of course not as big as the decision to give us test status back in 99, but still quite big :P). Just when I thought that he is finally learning to deal with the pressure of being the best player in team, he was burdened with the added responsibility of leading the side and he was nowhere CLOSE to being ready for that.

So again, his performances suffered (although he played one or two good innings here and there) and it dealt a huge blow to his already fragile confidence. He was stripped of the captaincy but he hasn't made any sort of impact since then.

But I expect him to make a comeback. Why? Because he realizes now that he is not the best player in the side anymore and he doesn't have his 'automatic spot' in the side now. Even a year back, despite his run of poor form, the Bangladesh lineup was so weak and inexperienced that the selectors just had to pick him.

That is not the case anymore, we have players like Jahurul, Rokibul waiting in the wings. Btw, I personally am a big fan of Jahurul and expect him to become a regular starter in the side pretty soon.

This New Zealand series I believe has the potential to be a turning point for Ashraful. If you see, he was in and around the side every time Bangladesh pulled of victories against the bigger nations. Even in the last win against New Zealand at Dhaka, he played a big role. He was not out there in the end with around 60 odd runs.

The lad was devastated after the New Zealand series, because this is the first time that Bangladesh has won a series and he has played no part in it. But he was around everything that happened in Bangladesh cricket in the last 6-7 years. So this was quite a big blow for him.

So, this series win without him, I believe will pave the way for the return of Ashraful. When he will be brought back to the side, he won't have the pressure that he used to have before. He knows he is not the best player anymore and people not exactly expect him to win matches for Bangladesh every time he goes out there with a bat in hand. If he can play himself into the side with two good fifties, that will give him the confidence which will propel him to bigger things. *fingers crossed* !

Last edited: