• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Australia 2022

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Who would come in for him, realistically? Guppy is horribly out of form aswell, and Bracewell isnt a number 3's arsehole. Maybe Chapman?
He doesn't need dropping, he needs freshening up. The bloke looks like he's dropped six pence and picked up ha'penny. Has the weight of the world on his shoulders.

He needs to give up the LO captaincy and just bat for a while. It looks like he's forgotten how to enjoy the game. Lessen his responsibilities for a bit and let him be.

I don't really care who replaces him as skipper tbh because if he returns to something near his best the team will monumentally benefit from that output anyway.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
As for us, the honeymoon is now truly over. The warm glow from the WTC final, making 50-over + T20 finals, I'd say is gone certainly in us hardcore fans but also in the general public who can't cop us blowing losing positions to Australia
The side in the last 18 months feels like one that has a range of class players who we know can perform well but everything's just a bit off. As such, it also feels like a return to form is "just around the corner." Except I feel like I've been thinking that for a while now - so is a change just around the corner, or are we officially on the decline?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The side in the last 18 months feels like one that has a range of class players who we know can perform well but everything's just a bit off. As such, it also feels like a return to form is "just around the corner." Except I feel like I've been thinking that for a while now - so is a change just around the corner, or are we officially on the decline?
Fella, I feel like it's officially a decline. I know we're famed for being world class whingers (probably with reason - both to be sooks and called sooks) but if you look back to mid 2021, what do we have to be optimistic about?

Look at our captain for the greatest example. He looks shot. Over the past year, he has missed countless games through injury and sickness, had the worst IPL batting season on record, and has passed 50 once in 20 innings for New Zealand since that WTC final (the 80 in the T20 final). He just seems out on his feet, from the heights of the 2x double tons in the 2020-01 season. Fatherhood, captaincy, COVID, IPL, injuries, it just seems all too much

Who else has gone backwards since then? Will Young (from one-day hundreds v a top-line Australian team to dropped completely, poorly managed) Conway (looks nothing like the player he was 12 months ago) Jamieson (injured, lost a lot of impact from his initial burst) Southee (still a Test gun but being picked for no good reason in colours), Boult (in beast mode but who knows how much he'll play as an uncontracted player), Henry (another one you could argue has been mismanaged, why didn't he play yesterday?) Ferguson (more injuries, very expensive on all the recent tours) Latham (in a massive rut, can't score runs v good opposition), Ross and CdG (retired), Santner (is he effective, or just a guy other teams are happy to sit on for 0-50? His batting is a plus, to be fair), Wagner (on his last legs), Gup (also I'd argue past his use-by date) Nicholls (dropped from ODIs, in a very lean Test trot), Sodhi (nowhere near dependable) etc.

You do have positives in Daryl Mitchell, Blundell (I think he becomes an ODI option soon), then guys who have shown a bit like Finn, Phillips, Ajaz (ahem) etc but our selection woes have got in the way of their development as well. Obviously we'd point to the ridiculousness around Bracewell's selection in all three formats. And who's coming behind them? Is Sears ready? Is Rachin? Who else is pushing up in the bowling and batting ranks?

I think it's a massive decline and there's significant amount of work to be done in leadership, coaching, identity of who this side wants to be, selection, where the players' priorities lie, just bloody everything, really. It's going to be a messy couple of years ahead if we don't do some serious work on where we're at...and I don't know if Gary Stead and an increasingly fatigued Kane Williamson are it.

ashley bach

International Captain
They’ll make 240-250 from here and win by about 25 or so
BURGEYS TEA LEAVES

At Burgeys, we not only predict winners, but we delve much deeper than that, so much so that we can even foresee the exact amount of runs
that divides the teams at the finish. Turn this into your advantage and solve your financial problems.
Sessions are currently booked out until February so book in quick before the waiting list gets longer.
$999 per hour +GST
Call BURGEYS on 111 111 111 for a 5 minute $199 consultation.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
ahh ... well then .... reckon I'll schedule another surgery for oct 22 this year too then :)
The 2nd ODI was the worst. Had Australia 117/8, let them get to 195/9, then got bowled out for 82! For some stupid reason Finn Allen and Glenn Phillips weren't picked for the 1st 2 matches, then played the third and were our two best batters.

Zinzan

Honestly wouldn't bother me in the slightest if KW gave up both white-ball formats (and let's be honest he should be nowhere near the T20 side, the only t20 bat in the world that seems to think it's fine to be 7 off 16 balls. )

While his experience would be a loss in the ODI side with the WC next year, I feel NZ need to change their ODI philosophy and play the game in a more fearless way. As others have pointed out, this side (all formats) has gone backwards at a rate of knots in the last 12-18 months & needs a re-think.

Zinzan

Furthermore can we un-sticky this thread now so it disappears off the page, and we can pretend the series never happened.

JMODIs or not, I found this 3-0 defeat, (when in a strong position each game) utterly humiliating & depressing.

That was not a good Australian side.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Furthermore can we un-sticky this thread now so it disappears off the page, and we can pretend the series never happened.

JMODIs or not, I found this 3-0 defeat, (when in a strong position each game) utterly humiliating & depressing.

That was not a good Australian side.
I think it was a good Australian side...not great, but certainly it's a good one. They'll fancy their chances in India next year.

Zinzan

I say relative to Australian historical standards. Not often you visit Aust and basically get handed a gimme wicket up front for 3 games in a row with Finch playing as poorly as he was.

Granted, Warner, Hazelwood, Maxwell are world class. Smith, Carey, Starc, Green & Zampa all very good. Yet we played Zampa like he was Shane Warne, with so much tentativeness and fear.