• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Australia 2019/20

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I still don't rate Santner. At all. Yeah, it was a good innings against England at Tauranga, but I have zero faith in his ability to keep the ball from sliding between bat and pad on faster pitches against faster bowlers. I'd be surprised if he averages more than 20 with the bat and less than 50 with the ball. To me it's a defensive selection that will offer the team very little besides maybe some cheap overs in the afternoon sun (which I think Ajaz and Sommerville would've been just as capable of providing).

Of course given that he's part of my 2019/20 FC draft team I'd be delighted to be proven wrong.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Would be a dream team if santner doesnt play, would love it- as hes not gonna take many /if as my important wickets and I doubt hes scoring many /any important runs vs that attack. Hes a waste of space but will unfortunately get selected.

In my 25+ years of following the NZ cricket team , Santner's continued test selection is the worst there has been. I've never seen a non performer keep getting selected this this, especially when we have spinners that have won us crucial tests when given the rare opportunity.
Yet santner keeps playing despite being awful for years.

Anyway rant over. I'm supporting whoever plays even if one of them has been selected for non cricketing reasons.
I mean, I'd have preferred Somerville or Patel for sure, but the dude recently scored a century and picked up a few important poles to get us a win. Saying the worst continued selection of the last 25 years is probably the worst hyperbole I've heard in the last 25 years.

Grasshopper

State Vice-Captain
He isn't even the worst selection in the current XI. You just have the worst point of view, it's almost impressive. You'd think he didn't win a game with Watling in the most RECENT series we just played FFS.
Haha, yeah coming off his maiden test century, 3 quick wickets on the penultimate evening at the Mount, a great diving catch...he's hopeless.

ataraxia

International Coach
He isn't even the worst selection in the current XI. You just have the worst point of view, it's almost impressive. You'd think he didn't win a game with Watling in the most RECENT series we just played FFS.
I love how your opinion has changed so much since a month ago.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I love NZ vs Aus test series. You kiwis just start throwing vipers and eating each other alive before a ball is even bowled to the moment the series ends.

Glorious.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I love NZ vs Aus test series. You kiwis just start throwing vipers and eating each other alive before a ball is even bowled to the moment the series ends.

Glorious.
Roasting miserable Kiwi gits is a national pastime.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing

Glorious.
It's because we're realists. Coming in and saying we'll make Smith and Warner grovel at Wagner's feet while Kane, Rosco, Nicholls and Latham will grind the Aussie bowlers into the dust is the quickest way to look stupid.

howardj

International Coach
Pumped for this series

The NZ cricket team is stacked with top blokes, and very good cricketers

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I think our batting lineup in particular could be in for a rough tour. If Rossco was getting roughed up by bouncers at Hamilton it's hard to see him doing well against Starc and Cummins in Perth.

Likewise Latham has usually struggled on quick pitches.

Gnske

It's because we're realists. Coming in and saying we'll make Smith and Warner grovel at Wagner's feet while Kane, Rosco, Nicholls and Latham will grind the Aussie bowlers into the dust is the quickest way to look stupid.
I can't tell you enough how much I hope this comes to pass. I don't think I've ever wanted a cricketer to have as much glory and success as Neil Wagner.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think our batting lineup in particular could be in for a rough tour. If Rossco was getting roughed up by bouncers at Hamilton it's hard to see him doing well against Starc and Cummins in Perth.

Yeah I hope I'm (somewhat) wrong but I get the feeling a lot of your blokes are going to be exposed over here.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Sort of hoping Boult is rested and Fergo is in. Boult was not his normal self even in Plunkett Shield, and a guy 50/50 a day out, who will have to bowl 20 overs + in 40 degree heat, doesn't sound like a good idea.

Can't drop Wagner, Southee probably the same, we need Santner and CDG to hold ends to let the pacemen recover. Ferguson is needed for his point of difference, and a bit of fire power.
Agree, you can't play Boult at sub 100% fitness and with risk of injuring himself during the match, especially when it's quite reasonable to select Southee over him on recent form anyway. Just choose the attack above and be done with it. Reconsider Boult for the next test.

I'll admit there are two lingering doubts - one is that Boult would be our best bet against Warner with the new ball (if it swings), and secondly that Southee in particular has a habit of wilting against Australia. But on form and balance I'm very happy with Southee, Ferguson, Boult, De Grandhomme, Santner.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member

Glorious.
I read this as a lament for the return of KiwiViktor.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member

This is my ATG captain obvious point but NZ's best player is key.

We're going to lose an opener early most innings (hopefully not both) and we really don't want Taylor in early against the new ball. It's going to be on Williamson to stop the rot early and every time.

We were lucky he was in great form last time we toured and he needs to make like Pujara and do it again.

Gnske

I would love it if the chairman of the Aotearoa Weed Party were to return. Don't we all lament his absence?