• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Australia 2019/20

veganbob

U19 Captain
Radio sport saying lockie fergusen is confirmed to play today. They are usually right with these things.

They said they did not know about boult.
Hopefully its Boult, Fergusen and Wagner playing

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Radio sport saying lockie fergusen is confirmed to play today. They are usually right with these things.

I mea on paper that's strong but a debutant who realistically isn't going to bowl huge spells and a guy returning from injury isn't the strongest.

Ideally Southee for the seamy/swinging stuff in decent spells, Wagner with his mammoth 10+ over blitzkrieg with short attacks from Ferg with support from CdG and Santner is the way to go.

NZTailender

if CdG does play, it's going to ****ing entertaining for people to try and work out why he's sharing the new pill with Southee and not Ferguson.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
From everything I've heard Colin is pretty likely to play. An article on stuff this morning said that he'd "beaten his abdominal tear" though no actual confirmation that he's fit as of yet. Colin's fitness is pretty critical to Lockie playing imo. He gives NZ an extra option with the new ball if Lockie is wayward, and will provide another steady hand to do the donkey work in the afternoon heat, allowing Lockie to be saved for the new ball and evening sessions.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

Zero chance Southee doesn't play. And he deserves to. If Ferguson is playing it's for Trent, or they're more innovative than I thought and Wags misses out on horses for courses

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Watching the 3rd test 1985, the rift between Hadlee and others seems obvious.

But not sure of the timeline , I think it was the test series in full, then the WSC, so the Audi decision still seems a month or 2 in the future.
haha, I never realised just how slow Lance Cairns was. I know 85 was right at the end of his test career, but I doubt he was bowling any quicker than Martin Crowe's canny mediums.

NZTailender

Zero chance Southee doesn't play. And he deserves to. If Ferguson is playing it's for Trent, or they're more innovative than I thought and Wags misses out on horses for courses
If Wagner misses out I'll burn my replica of the NZ team jacket.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
There's also always the possibility that Santner might not play. That'd be a terrible decision imo, but Ian Smith and Shane Bond were both floating it as a possibility this morning.

NZTailender

There's also always the possibility that Santner might not play. That'd be a terrible decision imo, but Ian Smith and Shane Bond were both floating it as a possibility this morning.
Who is going to eat up overs in the heat? Kane?

Return of the ATGWPOSB Rosco?

NZTailender

Like most tests in Aus, this will hinge on the toss, and we need to bat first.

If not, it's going to be a looooooooong tour

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
if CdG does play, it's going to ****ing entertaining for people to try and work out why he's sharing the new pill with Southee and not Ferguson.
I'd be puzzled.

Just because Lockie doesn't take the new ball in white-ball cricket shouldn't mean it happens in red-ball.

Decision should be on best use of colleective resources. Would Lockie benefit from a new cherry more than CdG (who has proven himself an effective first change wobbler) and provide more new-ball threat than CdG. The answer is yes.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Lockie usually takes the new rock for Auckland from what I've seen, where as CDG generally is first or second change.

Matt McEwan generally opens up from the other end, and he makes CDG look like Shoaib Akthar

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I couldn't pay enough money to see Wagner, CDG and McEwan bowling in tandem and obliterating test sides.

Wagner and McEwan's celebrations would probably tear another hole in the ozone.

Blain

U19 Captain
Sort of hoping Boult is rested and Fergo is in. Boult was not his normal self even in Plunkett Shield, and a guy 50/50 a day out, who will have to bowl 20 overs + in 40 degree heat, doesn't sound like a good idea.

Can't drop Wagner, Southee probably the same, we need Santner and CDG to hold ends to let the pacemen recover. Ferguson is needed for his point of difference, and a bit of fire power.

veganbob

U19 Captain

Would be a dream team if santner doesnt play, would love it- as hes not gonna take many /if as my important wickets and I doubt hes scoring many /any important runs vs that attack. Hes a waste of space but will unfortunately get selected.

In my 25+ years of following the NZ cricket team , Santner's continued test selection is the worst there has been. I've never seen a non performer keep getting selected this this, especially when we have spinners that have won us crucial tests when given the rare opportunity.
Yet santner keeps playing despite being awful for years.

Anyway rant over. I'm supporting whoever plays even if one of them has been selected for non cricketing reasons.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Would be a dream team if santner doesnt play, would love it- as hes not gonna take many /if as my important wickets and I doubt hes scoring many /any important runs vs that attack. Hes a waste of space but will unfortunately get selected.

In my 25+ years of following the NZ cricket team , Santner's continued test selection is the worst there has been. I've never seen a non performer keep getting selected this this, especially when we have spinners that have won us crucial tests when given the rare opportunity.
Yet santner keeps playing despite being awful for years.

Anyway rant over. I'm supporting whoever plays even if one of them has been selected for non cricketing reasons.
He isn't even the worst selection in the current XI. You just have the worst point of view, it's almost impressive. You'd think he didn't win a game with Watling in the most RECENT series we just played FFS.