• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official New Zealand Domestic Season Thread 2010/11 ***

irottev

U19 Cricketer
The footage was on 3 news, wasn't rerally yorker's just really full attcking length huge inswooping and outswooping deliveries that looked unplayable.

Get him in the Black Caps.

Mike5181

International Captain
Wicket charts for those interested;http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...t_wickets_career.html?id=6133;type=tournament

Wagner 51
Astle 36
Boult 32
Martin C 31
McKay 30
Aldridge 30

Best strike rate is Henry 31, Wagner 33, McKay 34, McSkimming 39
The three names at the top are really encouraging to see. The top wicket takers that is.

If we were to form an eleven from the domestic scene based on recent performances considering youth etc:

1. SJ Murdoch
2. BJ Watling
3. Daniel Flynn
4. Dean Brownlie
5. Neil Broom
6. Anaru Kitchen/Tim Weston
7. Derek De Border+
8. Todd Astle
9. Neil Wagner
10. Ben Wheeler
11. Trent Boult

12th Man: MJ Henry

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
And if Mallender (not Mailender) had taken 51, there still wouldn't have been a Kiwi who had taken more than 50 in a season.

By the way, Wagner's double hatrick is like music to my ears.

Sorry.
Yeah I looked his record up and noticed he was a Pommie international. Was more or less just looking at records for NZ domestic seasons.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Astle's rather pleasant season figures taking a bit of a beating today. Hope he picks up a couple of wickets tomorrow to smooth things out.

Flem274*

123/5
The three names at the top are really encouraging to see. The top wicket takers that is.

If we were to form an eleven from the domestic scene based on recent performances considering youth etc:

1. SJ Murdoch
2. BJ Watling
3. Daniel Flynn
4. Dean Brownlie
5. Neil Broom
6. Anaru Kitchen/Tim Weston
7. Derek De Border+
8. Todd Astle
9. Neil Wagner
10. Ben Wheeler
11. Trent Boult

12th Man: MJ Henry
Decent team. Quite a few of those dudes will be touring with the A side I imagine.

I thought it would be interesting to compare NZs second XI with the FC heavy hitters this year and see what we get.

NZ Seconds

This team uses a bit of license because I'm going off who the selectors have picked in the last wee while and who we know they like, so this side is an educated guess

1. Watling
2. How
3. Flynn
4. Sinclair
5. Brownlie
6. Franklin
7. Hopkins
8. Mills?
9. Tuffey
10.Patel
11.Arnel

First Class team of the Year

Obviously my own opinion, and I've been biased towards production here.

1. Peter Ingram (c):cool:
2. Craig Cumming
3. Daniel Flynn
4. Neil Broom
5. Brad Wilson
6. Reece Young
7. Derek de Boorder (wk)
8. Todd Astle
9. Neil Wagner
10.Trent Boult
11.Andy McKay

Cbf drawing conclusions. You ****s can do it.

Howsie

International Captain
And with that Canterbury take out the Plunket Shield for 2010/11, congrats. A decent effort considering they didn't really have what you'd call a leading strike bowler all season.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah they weren't exactly the best looking team going into this but they played pretty well throughout.

Flem274*

123/5
Irrelevant is going to be terrible.

Why did the CD/Aucks match finish without a full days play? Rain?

Canterbury had a good bowling attack this year tbh. McCone had an insane start to the season, and Astle has been good throughout. That Henry random got picked and blew sides away, and Andy Ellis's medium pace keeps getting wickets despite looking meh when he bowls on TV.

Their bowling looked shaky at the start of the season, but players emerged to back up Astle.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Well done to Canterbury for winning the plunket shield.

Stars of the season
Wagner: Not sold on him but if he keeps getting wickets he'll be in the blackcaps soon.
Flynn: Made some big statements to the selectors. With the blackcaps likely to be looking for a number 3, Flynn could be in the running.
Astle: 37 wickets at 29 is almost unreal for a domestic spinner. His figures got a boost against an awful ND tail earlier in the season, but they paid him back by boshing him round in this last match, so the stats probably reflect his performance.
D de Boorder: great season with the bat. If he keeps as well then Young will need to stay on his toes.

Well, there's always next year
Milne: Already looks worryingly close to being the second coming of Richard Sherlocke.
Raval: Awful season for someone who was once touted as one of NZ's brightest opening prospects
Beard: Worryingly little progress in FC cricket, though he lookd useful enough in the shorter versions of the game
Gillespie: Back for the first time in nearly two years and got spanked around the place. Hard to see much of a future for him.

Rising prospects
Bruce Martin: Exploded back into form after close to a decade in the doldrums. Should get a lot more gametime next season for Auckland so it'll be interesting to see how he goes.
Matt Henry: 18 wickets in 4 matches at 13.1. Naut bad at all, even if we do know SFA about him.
Harry Boam: Scored plenty of runs for Wellington and grabbed a few wickets as well. Looks a good bits n' pieces prospect.
Todd Latham: Keeps well and bats with a flourish. Looks to have a big future.

Flem274*

123/5
I reckon Astle and Flynn will be held back by circumstances in the NZ side. We already have a batting order, and Flynn's best bet is probably opening since Guptill is the lesser of our top five.

Astle has a Vettori problem.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon Astle and Flynn will be held back by circumstances in the NZ side. We already have a batting order, and Flynn's best bet is probably opening since Guptill is the lesser of our top five.

Astle has a Vettori problem.
Yeah, but New Zealand normally pick 2 spinners whenever they play matches on flat decks...for some reason. If there's a game scheduled at Napier next year and Astle keeps up his wicket-taking form I reckon he'll get a go.

As for Flynn, things very much depend on whether Wright decides to keep Williamson up at number 3, or drop him back down the order to give him a bit more time to grow.

Flem274*

123/5
The top six spinners in the Plunket Shield this year

Todd Astle 36 @ 29 from 9 matches
Bruce Martin 25 @ 26 from 6 matches
Tarun Nethula 21 @ 33 from 7 matches
Nick Beard 16 @ 53 from 10 matches
Jeetan Patel 15 @ 45 from 6 matches
Jono Boult 14 @ 55 from 7 matches

Two of the three best teams in the competition had good spinners.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah, but New Zealand normally pick 2 spinners whenever they play matches on flat decks...for some reason. If there's a game scheduled at Napier next year and Astle keeps up his wicket-taking form I reckon he'll get a go.

As for Flynn, things very much depend on whether Wright decides to keep Williamson up at number 3, or drop him back down the order to give him a bit more time to grow.
I hope they stick with Williamson at three. No point in him coming in at 100/4. 0/1 is a little better than that.

The bowling is interesting. Chris Martin and Andy McKay are right up there, proving they're with the best in the business. McKay especially has been on fire; 30 wickets in five matches. He is one of the few who rivals Wagner when it comes to strike rate.

Trent Boult is also in the mix up the top, which is great news.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I hope they stick with Williamson at three. No point in him coming in at 100/4. 0/1 is a little better than that.

The bowling is interesting. Chris Martin and Andy McKay are right up there, proving they're with the best in the business. McKay especially has been on fire; 30 wickets in five matches. He is one of the few who rivals Wagner when it comes to strike rate.

Trent Boult is also in the mix up the top, which is great news.
I think you can pretty much lock in Martin, Southee and McKay as our starting seam attack for the tour of Australia, barring injury. I reckon Boult will be brought along again, and just like last time won't play a game.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Blackcaps contenders:

Pace: Wagner, McKay and maybe even Aldridge and Boult should be pushing for a Test berth amongst Southee, Martin, Arnel, and Bennett.

Spin: Jeets has probably fallen away from being our second choice spinner to Astle, but we should be unlikely to see him anytime soon with no tours to the subcontinent planned for a while.

Keeper: Derek de Boorder has thrust himself into the position of next in line to the gloves.

Openers: Murdoch has shown promising signs, while Raval revealed he is a flat track bully :ph34r: Watling and McIntosh have kept themselves in decent enough form to keep any serious contenders at bay for the next shot at the spot.

Middle order: Flynn and Broom want Test spots.