• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2019/20

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
**** that got pretty awkward between Simon Doull and Ajaz didn't it. It's all fun and games with mic'd up men in the field, until you shout "it's yours, it's yours" into his earpiece as he tries to complete the catch, like it's a clash of the codes charity game or something.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Great to see Kuggs pitching in with bat and ball. Needs an upswing in fortune. Too much talent to not be given a run.

Flem274*

123/5
question for the thread - does our current attack hit the deck hard enough? boult is a skiddy boi and new southee doesn't hit the pitch like he used to. on motorways in nations where it won't swing this is a bit of a disadvantage.

we get away with it at home because in the greatest nation on earth the ball could swing at any moment but sometimes we have to tour deserts, the slow hamilton clay/uni oval or even the indian city that must not be named (cw mods 2019)

any changes would be brutal and our attack usually adapts well but like all non windies pace batteries our pace attack has a couple of chinks

Last edited:

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Question for the thread.

Blackcaps test opening spot before next test series. When selectors will next pick a squad without having painted themselves into a corner.

Because of the perennial, and I mean perennial (I, most of we, complain about this easily fixable mistake each year) uselessness of our domestic scheduling. We have no Plunket Shield before then.

What we do have in the way if red ball cricket is 2 x A test v India A, and Mickey Mouse non-FC warm up by an NZ 11 v India.

What is your preference for the opener spot for those few red ball games.

IMO, Raval has to given the courtesy and opportunity to play himself back in, the other spot has to be a genuine contender for the Feb test series, so not Ravindra.

Young, Seiffert, Rutherford.

With really only Blundell and Young (through fitness) moving their cases between no and 6 weeks away. You can pick this now pretty much.

(Ravindra to bat middle order for the As.)

vandem

International 12th Man
...What we do have in the way if red ball cricket is 2 x A test v India A, and Mickey Mouse non-FC warm up by an NZ 11 v India.

What is your preference for the opener spot for those few red ball games.

IMO, Raval has to given the courtesy and opportunity to play himself back in, the other spot has to be a genuine contender for the Feb test series, so not Ravindra.

Young, Seiffert, Rutherford.

With really only Blundell and Young (through fitness) moving their cases between no and 6 weeks away. You can pick this now pretty much.

(Ravindra to bat middle order for the As.)
I hope they pick Raval + Seifert to open for NZ A. Young at #3 if fit.

I can't see Rutherford lasting long against Bumrah + Shami if picked in the test team. Giving Raval a chance of 2 or 3 red ball innings to get back into form is good. I would be picking from Seifert or Young if Raval doesn't make runs vs India A.

All this assumes Blundell doesn't make big runs in the next week.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
If Young is fit I think I'd go straight to him as opener in the NZ A match. Have to admit some scepticism on Seifert as opener, and I see no reason to hold Young back as #4 for when Taylor retires so opener is the only way he gets in the NZ side.

If he succeeds he probably debuts v India. If not I dunno, stick with Blundell.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
question for the thread - does our current attack hit the deck hard enough? boult is a skiddy boi and new southee doesn't hit the pitch like he used to. on motorways in nations where it won't swing this is a bit of a disadvantage.

we get away with it at home because in the greatest nation on earth the ball could swing at any moment but sometimes we have to tour deserts, the slow hamilton clay/uni oval or even the indian city that must not be named (cw mods 2019)

any changes would be brutal and our attack usually adapts well but like all non windies pace batteries our pace attack has a couple of chinks
we're paying for preparing pitches like the ones which made archer pack a sook - great for winning home series but we're so so badly equipped for pace and bounce in both batting and bowling departments.

vandem

International 12th Man
we're paying for preparing pitches like the ones which made archer pack a sook - great for winning home series but we're so so badly equipped for pace and bounce in both batting and bowling departments.
Note that with a little more spine in England 2nd innings batting it would have been a 0-0 borefest in Nov. Not a series won. Shades of late 80s when we rolled out some flat pitches to protect our "unbeaten at home" run.

Flem274*

123/5
yeah england are just not test standard in nz. they should be but heads drop after 10 overs of things not going their way.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Note that with a little more spine in England 2nd innings batting it would have been a 0-0 borefest in Nov. Not a series won. Shades of late 80s when we rolled out some flat pitches to protect our "unbeaten at home" run.
Rolling out flat pitches because England suck on them and you'll back yourselves to beat them in a Test on them is significantly different to cynically deciding to try and 0-0 a team.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
The other channel relief ti the mcg massacre is watching burger smash on 50m boundaries . What great choices

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just quickly on the women's Super Smash - why haven't we made an effort to bring over some star Australian/international players from the recently-completed WBBL?

That tournament seems to have been a massive success. We had lots of it on TV here, and I'm sure heaps of kids etc have been watching it. Maybe we could have tried to join in on that momentum?
Hey, they've proven me totally wrong - I just noticed Amanda-Jade Wellington is playing for Otago today. And casually has 40* (18).

EDIT: And a wicket first ball.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
We can't blame her for answering Bates' call a bit late to come over and try to give stiffer opposition to the Wellington Blaze. Been playing an Australia A vs. India A series.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Ravindra not only bowling a flat trajectory but turning it ****ing square now, if that first one's being wided... :unsure:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
It's actually never time for Kelly to bowl a couple of overs, comms. Nice team spirit developing in that Volts outfit though. Muller is Wagner in golden retriever friendliness.