• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2019/20

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Only 75% pre-selected this time.

26 players now selected for u20s in 6 months. I'm not going to criticize that, they created some 'good' problems for themselves.

nzfan

Only 75% pre-selected this time.

26 players now selected for u20s in 6 months. I'm not going to criticize that, they created some 'good' problems for themselves.
That's good to see, more the participation at Under 19s better it is. I don't see much point in having 15 lads playing the 19s through out. I don't believe winning an under 19 world cup should be the sole purpose. Like Rahul Dravid said he'd rather be pleased if they lost the world cup but more number make it to domestic cricket and do well there. Ideally 19s being the feeder for domestic cricket. From then on if they go on to make Black Caps that's great but feeding into domestic cricket is of utmost value.

kaetor

U19 Cricketer
First match of the Super Smash tonight at 7. If only Sky would let me watch two things at once, looks like the coverage is good all season with a lot of televised matches and live streeming on matches that aren't. Step in the right direction for domestic cricket in NZ, though sadly I've seen literally no advertising outside of the ads on sky.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
First match of the Super Smash tonight at 7. If only Sky would let me watch two things at once, looks like the coverage is good all season with a lot of televised matches and live streeming on matches that aren't. Step in the right direction for domestic cricket in NZ, though sadly I've seen literally no advertising outside of the ads on sky.
Yes interesting to note a bit of dissatisfaction growing in the NZ cricket fan Twitter circle for the Super Smash and NZ domestic cricket overall, how Australia might've done a better job of getting the likes of Mackenzie Harvey and Jake Fraser-McGurk involved in their domestic cricket before this coming U19 World Cup, when in theory it should be NZ that's more of a land of opportunity on that score.

I see Fisher is fit again and in the 13 for ND, but I suppose won't necessarily play. Not sure even someone who's clearly right on the cusp of being hot stuff (like a Ravindra and Sears) gets that same kick out of upstaging NZ journeyman cricketers or whatever it is culturally that makes a big difference and spices up a whole domestic scene a little bit.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Excellent start up on Sky Sport 9. Amazing shots in the second over from Cleaver vs. Kuggs. Fisher bowling with good pace, but the old problem Howsie raised of him maybe not having too much through the air has him skidding onto the bat nicely. Worker's pull shot put an early one of his over the grandstand and lost the ball, on top of that.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Let's hope that six from Clarkson is never online, given Howsie's defection to Australia rumours. :p

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah it was just the sound and the commentary reaction that had 'BBL' written all over it for me tbh. 3:05 in.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Free entry that one was, if you're thinking there's a bit more of a vibe than NZ domestic T20 can sometimes have. Still not exactly overseas domestic T20, cramming-them-in stuff obvs.

nzfan

CD smashing it last night, everyone just went for it. Great to see the likes of Leopard and Fisher given a go. Didn't even remember this game was on with so much going on in the test match. 102 runs from CD were scored of sixes. Short square boundaries and from Kippax highlights short balls and length balls dealt with disdain.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Dat flight and drift from Ajaz.

Sigh.
Novel idea to select a spin bowler for their bowling.

Tbf Ajaz is a genuine bunny with the bat which does give pause for thoughts of nz selection. Somerville is at least able to try hold up an end.

vandem

International 12th Man
Corey Anderson playing.

Aces top 7 = Guptill + Munro + Phillips + Chapman (or O'Donnell) + Anderson + Cachopa + Solia = will be some balls ending on on Sandringham Rd.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
A sentiment to keep Sears right out of T20 continues from the Firebirds I see, it wasn't just an absence from that internal tri-series.

Wellington Firebirds head coach Glenn Pocknall has selected a 13-strong squad for their opening ******* Super Smash match against the Canterbury Kings at Hagley Oval tomorrow afternoon.

Michael Bracewell will captain the side which is at full strength apart from the absence of Tom Blundell who is in Australia with the BLACKCAPS.

Devon Conway will be key for the Firebirds during this year’s campaign - the 27-year-old was the leading run scorer in last year’s competition and will also take-on the wicketkeeping duties in Blundell’s absence.

Rachin Ravindra, Malcolm Nofal, Jimmy Neesham, Logan Van Beek and Jamie Gibson will all offer plenty with bat and ball and last year’s leading six-hitter Bracewell will inject power at the top of the order.

Hamish Bennett, Ollie Newton and Iain McPeake provide experience with the ball, as will Jeetan Patel who plays his penultimate match for the Firebirds tomorrow.

Tomorrow’s match is one half of a Dream 11 Super Smash double-header between Canterbury and Wellington.

The Blaze take-on the Magicians, in a repeat of last year’s final, from 12.40pm, before the Firebirds face the Kings at 4.10pm

Spectator entry is free of charge as part of Canterbury Cricket’s ‘Own The Oval’ initiative.

Wellington Firebirds squad v Canterbury Kings

Michael Bracewell (c)

Hamish Bennett

Fraser Colson

Devon Conway

Jamie Gibson

Iain McPeake

Jimmy Neesham

Ollie Newton

Malcolm Nofal

Jeetan Patel

Michael Pollard