• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2019/20

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Bloody love the passion and work you guys put in on every level of the game.

That guy Millard is really fun to watch. I'll add him to my list of tall fast bowlers I'm dead keen on, along with Jamieson.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Millard could've been 'astroturfed' so much more than he was, if they had a few more Howsie types living in Christchurch. This time last year they'd collected some video of him roughing up some of their best bats in the Canterbury U17 trials, but they didn't even take him to the national tournament. He'll probably miss out tomorrow.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Tomorrow: "Canterbury teen selected for NZ U19s after hype generated by weird cricket obsessives on internet forum"

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't reckon even Glenn Phillips scored as many in under 19s. I'm not saying he's future star but chances are he can build on this. New opportunities will open up at Firebirds level in future.
No, the last guy to lap the field like Vishvaka has was an anonymous Hawke's Bay club batsman, Graeme Tryon. So it's sadly not always a surefire sign of anything other than a beefy build putting pace into a ball that badly needs it.

By about day 8, NZC would probably be better served by having a really fun non-counting round in some ways, one where they wheel out all of the high performance centre's bowling machines behind their mobile cages, let the 'bowler' hop up on that and really crank up the pace dial to 145.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
No, the last guy to lap the field like Vishvaka has was an anonymous Hawke's Bay club batsman, Graeme Tryon. So it's sadly not always a surefire sign of anything other than a beefy build putting pace into a ball that badly needs it.

By about day 8, NZC would probably be better served by having a really fun non-counting round in some ways, one where they wheel out all of the high performance centre's bowling machines behind their mobile cages, let the 'bowler' hop up on that and really crank up the pace dial to 145.
I don't know how you dig up these from so many years ago, impressive.

The list above is an eye opener and quite interesting to observe. Out of the list above, one has gone on to play for Black Caps (T Seifert). L Carter, M Rae, Josh Finnie to domestic cricket. Of the three M Rae has been a regular. In my opinion Josh Finne should be a regular, not sure why Otago doesn't give him a go in all formats. Besides his bowling has now been binned. He was supposed to be a bowling all rounder from memory.

There seems to be more bowlers progressing consistently to domestic cricket from U19s than say batters.

Tryon played for HDCC couple of years ago trying to force his way into firebirds but don't think that worked out very well.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I like Rae, have ever since he came in as a concussion sub and then took 5 for not many. Ugly action but hits the deck and can get some movement back in at decent pace.

Had no clue he could apparently bat a bit though

nzfan

Cuba Kings captained by Troy Johnson and coached by Lance Dry/Chris Nevin won the finals vs Valley Vipers in the Wellington Premier League. Stand out performance of the day was Jimmy Neesham smashing 40 ball hundred. Went home and watched the recorded stream yesterday. There has been many good performances over the last couple of days and looks like Firebirds are ready to rock in the super smash. Most of their players have had a decent hit with the bat and ball over the last couple of days. Meanwhile Aces are off to Hobart to play 2 T20s to prepare for the Super Smash. I think Aces this year in Super Smash will be unbeatable. They have all the players at disposal. Munro, Guptill, Phillips, Chapman, Solia, Mitchell McClenaghan, R Hira, K Jamieson, W Somerville all available for the entire gig.

Immenso

I don't know how you dig up these from so many years ago, impressive.

The list above is an eye opener and quite interesting to observe. Out of the list above, one has gone on to play for Black Caps (T Seifert). L Carter, M Rae, Josh Finnie to domestic cricket. Of the three M Rae has been a regular. In my opinion Josh Finne should be a regular, not sure why Otago doesn't give him a go in all formats. Besides his bowling has now been binned. He was supposed to be a bowling all rounder from memory.

There seems to be more bowlers progressing consistently to domestic cricket from U19s than say batters.

Tryon played for HDCC couple of years ago trying to force his way into firebirds but don't think that worked out very well.
Finnie a batsman who bowled a bit of useful spin.

His spin useful enough, and his hitting clean enough to keep him in Otago sides even when his core skill wasn't producing results. Probably a bad thing in hindsight.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I like Rae, have ever since he came in as a concussion sub and then took 5 for not many. Ugly action but hits the deck and can get some movement back in at decent pace.

Had no clue he could apparently bat a bit though
He's the one that wears the headband right? That's a good enough reason to like someone :thumbsup:.

jcas0167

International Debutant
NZ ICC U19 CWC squad:
Jesse Tashkoff(c) W
Adithya Ashok A
Kristian Clarke ND
Hayden Dickson ND
Joey Field CD
David Hancock ND
Simon Keene A
Fergus Lellman ND
Nicholas Lidstone C
Rhys Mariu C
William O’Rourke A
Ben Pomare ND
Quinn Sunde A
Beckham Wheeler-Greenall O
Oliver White ND

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
That aside, how the f do six ND players make it when they've lost every(?) match this tournament and other players who look to have potential also have better stats?

Kippax wasn't joking.

nzfan

The squad may go well but it's near impossible to fathom someone like Devan Vishvaka is not selected. He's by far the highest scorer in the tourney. Probably by 200+ runs.

Oliver White from ND has done bugger all in the U19 nationals and in the games he has had vs Aus and Bangladesh. He looks a good player no doubt but selecting him when he's not justified his selection for nearly a year would probably put more pressure on the lad. If he is good enough he will find his way and won't need this favour. I'm sure every kid from every team will be wondering how he got the nod. That is not good for the kid's growth or the team IMO.

They should have just gone with the U19 side from what they fielded vs Bangladesh and before the tournament should have mentioned they have already recognized the players so this tournament is only to give experience rather than to pick the squad. That would have helped definitely.

Last edited:

Immenso

Really hard squad to pick.

I think Zohrab, who had a Youth ODI century doesn't make it?

Yet no one has played any senior provincial cricket yet.

Mix of competitive, yet no youth prodigies , group.

Howsie

International Captain
The squad may go well but it's near impossible to fathom someone like Devan Vishvaka is not selected. He's by far the highest scorer in the tourney. Probably by 200+ runs.

Oliver White from ND has done bugger all in the U19 nationals and in the games he has had vs Aus and Bangladesh. He looks a good player no doubt but selecting him when he's not justified his selection for nearly a year would probably put more pressure on the lad. If he is good enough he will find his way and won't need this favour. I'm sure every kid from every team will be wondering how he got the nod. That is not good for the kid's growth or the team IMO.

They should have just gone with the U19 side from what they fielded vs Bangladesh and before the tournament should have mentioned they have already recognized the players so this tournament is only to give experience rather than to pick the squad. That would have helped definitely.
These squads are usually 90 percent selected before the national tournament starts, probably close to 100 percent when it comes to quick bowlers. You would have to have a massive tournament and look very impressive to force your way in if you weren’t on the radar to begin with.

Former ND batsman Tamati Clarke did that back in 2008. He was a reserve player for ND under 19’s that year but was called up two days before the tournament started when someone pulled out with a broken finger. He scored 2 100’s and a 50 during the week, actually looked really good and bang, found his way into the World Cup team that year.

Very few guys would manage to do something like that though trust me.