• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2016/17

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
How has it taken so many years to work this out.. He had few games at 5 several years ago after his first dropping from the side however, would have been pre Hesson. Guppy (after a successful Plunket Shield transition and Nicholls being humiliated against SA) to 5, with Munro/Neesham/Anderson battling for the No 6 slot, Watling 7 and Santner 8. The line up would seem alot less likely to blow over than it does currently.

Raval isn't performing however, and if Latham carries his poor form on, god help us..
Tbf until Latham came along we had zero international quality openers, so it's understandable they mostly stuck with Guptill while rotating the other spot looking for someone competent. It's only since Latham arrived and moreso since McCullum retired and opened up a middle order gap, that it's (imo) become a reasonable possibility that Guptill should fit in at five.

Wouldn't agree that Nicholls was humiliated by SA either - didn't look good, fine, though still scored more runs than most of the other batsmen.

inafoxhole

Cricket Spectator
Tbf until Latham came along we had zero international quality openers, so it's understandable they mostly stuck with Guptill while rotating the other spot looking for someone competent. It's only since Latham arrived and moreso since McCullum retired and opened up a middle order gap, that it's (imo) become a reasonable possibility that Guptill should fit in at five.

Wouldn't agree that Nicholls was humiliated by SA either - didn't look good, fine, though still scored more runs than most of the other batsmen.
Think it's a prediction of humiliation over the next three weeks.

Blain

U19 Captain
Yup, a hypothetical prediction. Was trying to say if those 2 things happen, he could come into the side.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Of course the other option to open for Auckland which I missed is Phillips.

Is he ready yet?

Pink ball round ......

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
every time I watch phillips bat in domestic i don't really get the hype. Reminds me of Aaron Finch. Not saying he can't make it eventually but atm he just doesn't look ready.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
every time I watch phillips bat in domestic i don't really get the hype. Reminds me of Aaron Finch. Not saying he can't make it eventually but atm he just doesn't look ready.
He's not ready, he's 20 - but what encourages me is he's a much, much better batsman than he was the previous summer. Become a lot more adept on the front foot, whereas the previous summer he was all at sea with anything in his half. Played too early in the T20 international, he needs another season. He'll get there.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha I totally get the Finch comparison. To be fair though, while that feels like a bad thing, a keeper who batted as well as Finch would be awesome for New Zealand's LO teams.

Immenso

Adam Milne playing his first FC in at least 2 years.

Batting at 7, with a 5 man attack. So can probably he assume he will be on a limited work load.

Immenso

What's up with Josh Finnie?

Hit some good form at the end of the Ford Trophy. Missed out 2 weeks in a row in Plunket?

Must be injured? One for Smudge.

Immenso

Haha yes, I want to know if the Ferguson bowled was a big inside edge, or perhaps wishful thinking that he swung one?
Watching on pc, and expanded to full screen, I can't tell.

But I think it was clean bowled. Ball was coming back in. Would have had to be a very faint edge.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Duffy doing what we saw a bit of last week, where he pulls it down short and wide of an ideal channel, then overcompensates and slides one down leg. Woodcock leaving well, defending late and generally being Edgar's teacher's pet, Papps the more fortunate to survive of the two.

Duffy's closest two deliveries to getting a wicket in his first six overs -

https://nzcpooch.blob.core.windows.net/022f6636-8351-4a3e-a82d-fd49fd41369e/1_003_05.mp4

https://nzcpooch.blob.core.windows.net/022f6636-8351-4a3e-a82d-fd49fd41369e/1_009_03.mp4