• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2016/17

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
lol Munro

Meanwhile, seems like a good knock from Kitchen to take Otago home.

Can't tell if Otago batting de Boorder so high is tactical or what,

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm biased of course, but I truly believe the national selectors have to treat Colin Munro the FC player as a completely different person to Colin Munro the limited overs player (and I don't think they will). I have no trouble with them not picking him in ODIs, and even T20s given Ross/Corey have better records. But no one has anywhere near Colin's FC record that is on the edge of selection, either in it or out of it. He scores double tons in games where batsmen struggle, he converts 50s into 100s, he scores doubles. And in FC cricket, what is on his side is that he doesn't HAVE to push the scoring rate, he can get himself in - unlike in ODIs where that's been a massive issue for him.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Yeah plus he's one of those guys with limited scoring zones and poor strike rotation who probably thrive on the attacking fields and the lack of dot-ball pressure in FC cricket. However, I'd still rather Bruce be given a go at this point given he's younger and is more of a "proper" batsman.

Meridio

International Regular
Blundell having a severe case of Latham-itis since his selection for that Bangladesh T20 i.e. inability to convert starts into big scores. Has made 41, 4, 32, 28, 24, 23, 21, 31, 45, 37 for a frustrating 286 runs at 28.6, with only one outright failure but not a single 50.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I'm biased of course, but I truly believe the national selectors have to treat Colin Munro the FC player as a completely different person to Colin Munro the limited overs player (and I don't think they will). I have no trouble with them not picking him in ODIs, and even T20s given Ross/Corey have better records. But no one has anywhere near Colin's FC record that is on the edge of selection, either in it or out of it. He scores double tons in games where batsmen struggle, he converts 50s into 100s, he scores doubles. And in FC cricket, what is on his side is that he doesn't HAVE to push the scoring rate, he can get himself in - unlike in ODIs where that's been a massive issue for him.
Fair enough - one thing that surprised me a little in the ODIs (esp the ones in Australia that I watched a lot of, though the pitches were pretty roady), was that his defensive game seemed relatively solid. His ability to work singles was awful but his game in FC is to hit lots of boundaries through or over the in-field. This is...

Yeah plus he's one of those guys with limited scoring zones and poor strike rotation who probably thrive on the attacking fields and the lack of dot-ball pressure in FC cricket.
... sometimes known as being a Craig McMillan.

Blain

U19 Captain
I wouldn't be completely against Munro in the team.. Could see him crushing the average sides at home. As long as he's bowling also. Eg, 3 Seamers, Santner and Munro.

He just looks sooo bad way too often.

Henry looks like he has smoothed up his action a bit, he was getting very "leap and snap," Zaheer style instead of having rhythm through the crease.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Raval/Woodcock
Latham
Williamson
Taylor
Munro
Neesham
Watling (+)
Santner
Wagner
Southee
Boult

I'd be for it.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
I'd love it if you were right. It'd be great if he could replicate his FC form at test level. But, he just looks so at sea against decent bowlers that I struggle to see how'd he be a success at test cricket. Though, saying that, his FC stats almost demand selection, so they probably should give him a couple of series against good opposition to see if he's got the goods.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd love it if you were right. It'd be great if he could replicate his FC form at test level. But, he just looks so at sea against decent bowlers that I struggle to see how'd he be a success at test cricket. Though, saying that, his FC stats almost demand selection, so they probably should give him a couple of series against good opposition to see if he's got the goods.
You're right, he's looked at sea...but he's looked at sea trying to force the issue/get off strike, rather than being unpeeled technically. I'd love to see how he went unburdened by run rates in white clothing, his technique is actually pretty decent and he's improved mentally. And as you say, his FC stats are unparalleled in terms of someone in NZ who hasn't got a go in that format (yes he played one Test, which should be deemed irrelevant in his selection discussion).

Immenso

International Vice-Captain

Immenso

On Munro:

Overall FC record:
3013 runs, ave 49.39

At Auckland venues (EPOO & Colin Mainden):
1532 runs, ave 51.07

At teeny weeny EPOO;
1004 runs, ave 55.77

Plunket Shield record:
2920 runs, ave 55.09

NZ A record:
3 games, 44 runs, ave 8.80

Firstly, I think Colin Maiden is a perfectly fine cricket ground, so don't see the point of it being lumped in with EPOO when dissecting Munro (and Raval's) career.

I think the EPOO / Colin Maiden factor is a red herring anyway - based on stats.

It's his record at red-ball cricket above domestic level that has me thinking him not being promoted to a test slot is fair. NZ A 3 games, test cricket 1 game.

But, now that the 5 slot is open post-Baz is worth considering. But I don't think he has had a too hard a deal.

Some more A tours would of course help answer the selectorial questions ......

Immenso

Did a comparison, purely out of interest. I don't have an agenda for the number 5 spot, I just have an exasperated shrug.

Guptill
Tests:
2586 runs, ave 29.38

FC Record:
6581 runs, ave 37.82

Overall FC record (EXCLUDING TESTS):
3995 runs, ave 46.45

At Auckland venues (EPOO & Colin Mainden):
n/a - not played at Colin Maiden

At teeny weeny EPOO;
1368 runs, ave 62.18

Plunket Shield record:
2166 runs, ave 49.22

County Cricket (Derbyshire):
1421 runs, ave 49.00

NZ A record:
193 runs, ave 48.25

inafoxhole

Cricket Spectator
Guptill pre and post test selection at PS level is something.

avg 29 before test debut (off 900 odd runs)
avg 85 since for Auckland

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Stats. Guptill with 10 toes didn't average a thing. Guptill with 7 toes averages 44 in ODIs.

Do some of our batsmen have too many toes?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
=Firstly, I think Colin Maiden is a perfectly fine cricket ground, so don't see the point of it being lumped in with EPOO when dissecting Munro (and Raval's) career.

I think the EPOO / Colin Maiden factor is a red herring anyway - based on stats.

It's his record at red-ball cricket above domestic level that has me thinking him not being promoted to a test slot is fair. NZ A 3 games, test cricket 1 game.

But, now that the 5 slot is open post-Baz is worth considering. But I don't think he has had a too hard a deal.

Some more A tours would of course help answer the selectorial questions ......
The EPOO/Colin Munro Park thing is horse ****. No one ever mentions that Rangiora is the flattest wicket in the country, where I'd wager Nicholls has played a lot of cricket (add in that the Bert at Lincoln doesn't offer much for the bowlers either).

But yeah you're right, Colin needs to join an A tour and go BIG to get anywhere near the conversation. And probably fair enough. You say he's not had too hard of a deal, and I agree to a point. But I honestly feel like if he'd not played that one Test, where he just happened to be near the ground at the time for the upcoming ODI series, he might've played a few more.

Blain

U19 Captain
Guptill going to bat middle order for Auckland on his return on Plunket.

Martin Guptill got 'good crack' at top of test order and middle-order switch may be answer | Stuff.co.nz

Assume O'Donnell misses out then.

Or do they move RO'D up to open? As Raval will be on test duty. Mike Barry I assume the other choice, who has certainly served his dues with the amount of 12th man duties he's done (or in playing 11 for white ball games but not getting a bat).
How has it taken so many years to work this out.. He had few games at 5 several years ago after his first dropping from the side however, would have been pre Hesson. Guppy (after a successful Plunket Shield transition and Nicholls being humiliated against SA) to 5, with Munro/Neesham/Anderson battling for the No 6 slot, Watling 7 and Santner 8. The line up would seem alot less likely to blow over than it does currently.

Raval isn't performing however, and if Latham carries his poor form on, god help us..

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member