• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2016/17

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
NZ host the U19 World Cup next year.

But don't worry, NZC aren't panicking, they are sticking to their normal program. NZ will play zero u19 internationals this year as usual.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Finn Allen is a bonafide gun. He'll be pushing for an Auckland spot in a couple of seasons.

Wonder if the Ben Donkers from Canterbury is the son of Brendon Donkers, presume so. One of my favourite names of the 90s in the Canterbury side, along with Brad Doody.
Ben is Brendon's nephew, I think. Interesting to see him captaining the Canterbury U19 side actually - they obviously rate his leadership very highly.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
NZ host the U19 World Cup next year.

But don't worry, NZC aren't panicking, they are sticking to their normal program. NZ will play zero u19 internationals this year as usual.
They're selecting an U18 team after this U19 tournament and they'll play in the National A comp early next month, which means they'll obviously only be picking guys who are eligible for the World Cup next year. I think Rachin Ravindra and Finn Allen are both good to go again, so the batting should be in relatively good shape.

Immenso

Allen, Ravindra, F Murray, D Phillips all qualify for next World Cup and played in the last.

Sears, Leopard playing u19 still this year but will be too old for next year.

Last edited:

Immenso

Actually Nathan Smith also young enough for next year I think.

Last year's squad was so young.

Edit: actually no. Misses out by about a month.

Last edited:

nzfan

Will try to grab some videos from the tourney once it's over. There was a report on cricket show about the Gillette Cup or whatever they call it now. Will try and upload to YouTube.

Watched bit of 19s cricket, its not as competitive as the faster bowlers are only supposed to bowl few courtesy overs in the tourney to prevent over load. Ravindra is only 50% fit with an injury and isn't bowling. He's batting but barely at his full potential due to the injury. He's only just 17 and hoping the injury is not a major one.

Sandeep Patel I hear is a hard hitter with decent technique. Fraser Sheat and Donkers touted as big hitting all rounders with potential I'm told.

Murray is bowling well and Leopard is there abouts as well.

Unfortunately not a lot of fresh talent to write home about particularly in the fast bowling department but there are some lads in Otago that can come to fore.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Watched bit of 19s cricket, its not as competitive as the faster bowlers are only supposed to bowl few courtesy overs in the tourney to prevent over load.
This makes me mad. I look back on playing U19s cricket, seen scorecards where myself and others were racking up 20-25 overs every other day for a fortnight at Nelson Park. Then I look at the guys I was playing with, who went on to FC careers or better, with no major injuries (apart from one tearaway from Canterbury/CD/Auckland who couldn't stay fit). ****s me. That's where we learned how to bowl, to good players on flat tracks. Wasn't going to learn anything by bowling 2-3 over ****ing spells two times a day.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Will try to grab some videos from the tourney once it's over. There was a report on cricket show about the Gillette Cup or whatever they call it now. Will try and upload to YouTube.

Watched bit of 19s cricket, its not as competitive as the faster bowlers are only supposed to bowl few courtesy overs in the tourney to prevent over load. Ravindra is only 50% fit with an injury and isn't bowling. He's batting but barely at his full potential due to the injury. He's only just 17 and hoping the injury is not a major one.

Sandeep Patel I hear is a hard hitter with decent technique. Fraser Sheat and Donkers touted as big hitting all rounders with potential I'm told.

Murray is bowling well and Leopard is there abouts as well.

Unfortunately not a lot of fresh talent to write home about particularly in the fast bowling department but there are some lads in Otago that can come to fore.
Hunter Kindley sounds promising? A century today and reasonable bowling figures. Although, that's interesting that the faster bowlers are on restricted overs. Also, I'm not sure Clarke didn't bowl today, after reading the glowing report above about his bowling against Kings.

Flem274*

123/5
This makes me mad. I look back on playing U19s cricket, seen scorecards where myself and others were racking up 20-25 overs every other day for a fortnight at Nelson Park. Then I look at the guys I was playing with, who went on to FC careers or better, with no major injuries (apart from one tearaway from Canterbury/CD/Auckland who couldn't stay fit). ****s me. That's where we learned how to bowl, to good players on flat tracks. Wasn't going to learn anything by bowling 2-3 over ****ing spells two times a day.
you should have just name dropped richard sherlock

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Great to see that today's game is at Pukekura. Enough of this Yarrow Stadium nonsense.

nzfan

Hunter Kindley sounds promising? A century today and reasonable bowling figures. Although, that's interesting that the faster bowlers are on restricted overs. Also, I'm not sure Clarke didn't bowl today, after reading the glowing report above about his bowling against Kings.
Hope he's good, didn't watch him. It's quite hard to figure who's got the goods for the long run at U19 level. There are so many variables that can make/break young players. I see so many promising kids come and go. There are good talents but the investment in development by the system is terrible to say the least. There is a lot of reliance on the individuals to cut their own in NZ. The system is pretty much absent both at provincial and nation levels. The players that come through will come through due to sheer will and love for the sport. Unfortunately that happens one in hundred. The scoreboards don't always tell a story. You could be playing on a terrible surface, smallish ground (Lincoln green for eg) etc The catching/wicket keeping may be so poor that a bowler supposed to take 5 fer ends up with no wickets. Trust me it happens so frequently it's not a flash in the pan.

We have the tendencies to develop players at Black Caps level. How do you otherwise explain no 19s tours or any internationals for a year? The likes of Namibia, Zimbabwe, Sri Lanka that aren’t all that rich have good A and 19s tours but we don’t. NZ Cricket is all about looking after some assets at the top level, that’s about it.

There are some serious talents in the 19s in the last two years that could be world beaters but I suppose they aren’t going to fulfil that unless they are absolutely hard willed and downright stub born achievers. The thought does cross if these kids were in say Aussie, India, SL or anywhere (but for NZ or perhaps Zimbabwe) they would end up world class. Bottom line, we don’t know to manage talent in cricket. Should take a leaf out of NZRU and see how they nurture the promising talents.

Sounds like a rant but trust me this is the reality.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Hope he's good, didn't watch him. It's quite hard to figure who's got the goods for the long run at U19 level. There are so many variables that can make/break young players. I see so many promising kids come and go. There are good talents but the investment in development by the system is terrible to say the least. There is a lot of reliance on the individuals to cut their own in NZ. The system is pretty much absent both at provincial and nation levels. The players that come through will come through due to sheer will and love for the sport. Unfortunately that happens one in hundred. The scoreboards don't always tell a story. You could be playing on a terrible surface, smallish ground (Lincoln green for eg) etc The catching/wicket keeping may be so poor that a bowler supposed to take 5 fer ends up with no wickets. Trust me it happens so frequently it's not a flash in the pan.

We have the tendencies to develop players at Black Caps level. How do you otherwise explain no 19s tours or any internationals for a year? The likes of Namibia, Zimbabwe, Sri Lanka that aren’t all that rich have good A and 19s tours but we don’t. NZ Cricket is all about looking after some assets at the top level, that’s about it.

There are some serious talents in the 19s in the last two years that could be world beaters but I suppose they aren’t going to fulfil that unless they are absolutely hard willed and downright stub born achievers. The thought does cross if these kids were in say Aussie, India, SL or anywhere (but for NZ or perhaps Zimbabwe) they would end up world class. Bottom line, we don’t know to manage talent in cricket. Should take a leaf out of NZRU and see how they nurture the promising talents.

Informative post thanks. Disappointing to read though :/

Immenso

This is a keen interest of mine. I have no connections with elite level or junior cricket. But our A program and U19 program leave me, as a fan, totally exasperated.

So much so that independent of this post I was doing some google searching on NZC revenue trying to work out where all the money goes.

My assumption was, but conclusion is that it isn't, on the elite 20 centrally contracted players. Eg Kane as top dog is on 200k plus match payments, I think that's fair enough. Bottom dog is on 80k retainer plus match payments.

Earlier this year they did a new deal, based on increased tv revenues, for the 90 domestics. I think these guys were underpaid, so happy with this. And kudos for NZC getting these guys any sort of deal a decade or so ago.

Back in the amateur days NZ had an annual u19 series v either Aus, India or usually England.These days with huge revenues, they get a biennial icc u19 works cup handed to them free - but can't fund anything in the interim years?

We're hosting the next tournament. You'd think teams would be gagging to tour here.

Priority 1 should be an annual A tour or incoming series.

Priority 2 should be the u19s.

Last edited:

_Ed_

Rutherford's reached his ton off 46 balls. This is pretty brutal stuff. Anyone know what the highest total in NZ domestic T20 is?

EDIT: Looks like this might be the record for a NZ team, and this for NZ domestics.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Rutherford's such a damn natural talent, guy must be pushing a case for our T20 side at least.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Rutherford's such a damn natural talent, guy must be pushing a case for our T20 side at least.
T20 might end up being his format. Not a good approach in tests and hasn't learned, can't rotate the strike in ODIs, but agree he's always struck the ball nicely so might be a T20 option for NZ.

Question will be, seemingly like a lot of NZ hitters (Anderson etc), can he find ways to score if the opposition doesn't bowl to his obvious strong zone?