• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2016/17

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Firebirds finally get a win, and first loss for the Aces this year. Was a fantastic innings by Ronchi - he was the only one who really seemed fluent with the bat today, although Papps chipped in with a good anchoring knock.

Not sure what happened to the Aces. It got gloomy, but not that bad. They barely fired a shot in their innings, Munro especially looking horrible and unable to middle anything. Chapman was the only one who really caused any heart flutters.

Verna was a huge improvement on Dernbach. Phillips can keep, his stumping of Pollard was one of the fastest I've ever seen, even if it was as easy as they get.
And how about Luke Woodcock. I love that bloke. At whatever age he is, he still celebrates wickets like he's a five year old kid playing with a rubber ball on a half mown pitch on the rec ground outfield and has finally jagged his first one after 3/4th of a season trying.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Good ol' Ronchi. Quality innings and a deserved win.
By my reckoning that's the Firebirds first Super Smash win at the Basin since they won the tournament, pretty sure I went to every game last season and they lost them all. Felt like a Christmas miracle!

And how about Luke Woodcock. I love that bloke. At whatever age he is, he still celebrates wickets like he's a five year old kid playing with a rubber ball on a half mown pitch on the rec ground outfield and has finally jagged his first one after 3/4th of a season trying.
He took a blinder of a catch on the boundary too, similar to the Daniel Vettori one in the quarter final against West Indies, but seemed better somehow (can't really say how, maybe the ball was going faster or it was a tad more athletic). Unfortunately it was a no ball, so pretty much counted for nothing. :(

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah that must have been some good hitting.

Considering how unable he was to get bat on ball and ball to boundary at the end in Australia, I guess either he received a lot of length balls or half volleys in the slot, or it was just the lesser pace and quality of the CD bowlers (it's not a great looking attack tbh, despite Rance's impressive OD showings).

I like Santner's batting a lot in test matches, though less so in limited overs at the moment.

bill8164

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah that must have been some good hitting.

Considering how unable he was to get bat on ball and ball to boundary at the end in Australia, I guess either he received a lot of length balls or half volleys in the slot, or it was just the lesser pace and quality of the CD bowlers (it's not a great looking attack tbh, despite Rance's impressive OD showings).

I like Santner's batting a lot in test matches, though less so in limited overs at the moment.
All three

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've only seen Clarkson on TV two or three times, but jeez he's been impressive every time. Surely a future Black Cap.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Ha, I find that absolutely incredible on Gulbis' part. Dernbach I can understand, he's a **** of a bloke and might think an overseas stint for Wellington is beneath him. But Gulbis...no side in Australia wanted him yet Wellington somehow decide having him as an overseas is a good idea. And he goes out until 4am before a game? Outrageous. Good luck getting another stint anywhere else, Mr Google will ensure it's harder.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ha, I find that absolutely incredible on Gulbis' part. Dernbach I can understand, he's a **** of a bloke and might think an overseas stint for Wellington is beneath him. But Gulbis...no side in Australia wanted him yet Wellington somehow decide having him as an overseas is a good idea. And he goes out until 4am before a game? Outrageous. Good luck getting another stint anywhere else, Mr Google will ensure it's harder.
He's contracted to the Melbourne Stars ftr; just doesn't get picked in Shield cricket anymore. He was coming back home after that game anyway due to that.

Still pretty stupid in general, but not really all that much stupider than Dernbach IMO.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
He's contracted to the Melbourne Stars ftr; just doesn't get picked in Shield cricket anymore. He was coming back home after that game anyway due to that.

Still pretty stupid in general, but not really all that much stupider than Dernbach IMO.
Fair enough, but the Stars obviously aren't picking him in their XI if he's been loaned out to Wellington. I dunno, you're given an opportunity like that as a pretty mediocre player, I'd be in bed at 4pm, not 4am. No NZ team will go near him again, and given some franchises have kept going to the well with below par players in the past, it's potentially a even more stupid move.

You're right though, it's equally as stupid really. I'd expect it from a douche like Dernbach.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
What surprises me is both were out on the match day and they played on that day hung over. They are dropped from the next game when they aren't. Why didn't they not let go of on the day they were hung over? Doesn't make sense.

Blocky

Banned
Due to the nature of NZ Cricket, the squads aren't big enough and they probably travelled with twelve, and whoever was twelfth couldn't cover either role, they were stood down when they were able to be replaced.

What surprises me though, is that people are surprised by the drinking habits of the overseas professionals. Graeme Hick had some legendary nights out while playing for ND and absolutely smoking the opposition the next day.

Flem274*

123/5
i don't think anyone is surprised that some overseas players go hard on the town, i think we're just all in agreement dernbach and whatever a gulbis is struggle enough when they're sober and not nursing hangovers.