• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2014/15

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
When did NZ last play an ODI in Australia? Last I can think of is 2004!

In the unlikely event NZ were to make it to CWC final, would it be first game there for everyone bar McCullum and Mills?

Maybe the odd guy has played a few BBL games, but very few have experienced any of the big grounds.

http://m.espncricinfo.com/newzealand/content/current/story/787985.html?source=home;objects=787759,787941,787789,788001,787985,787701;type=news;teamSettingId=0;refsource=index

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
When did NZ last play an ODI in Australia? Last I can think of is 2004!

In the unlikely event NZ were to make it to CWC final, would it be first game there for everyone bar McCullum and Mills?
We played there in 2009 and drew the series 2-2. Can't remember if we played at the MCG though.

Howsie

International Captain
It would've been close to six years since we last played them in an ODI series when we next play them, that's just nuts.

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain

Athlai

Not Terrible
Just looked back upon Broom's debut as I really liked the look of him. Also note that Guptill scored a ton in the same match before it was rained off.

Also reminds me that Guptill has the highest average in no results. WAG.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
ND's seamers took a hell of a beating from the Afghans. Though it's fun to see Seifert actually do something for a change.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Kieran Noema Barnett signs with Gloucestershire
First thoughts was good for him until I saw this

He has a British passport so is not classed as an overseas signing.
Another Craig Cachopa situation, does this make him an overseas player for CD. EDIT: Yes.

CD's unwanted captain becomes their import | Stuff.co.nz
Central Districts will field an import this season.

It's just that it'll be deposed captain Kieran Noema-Barnett, who's since secured himself a three-year deal with English county Gloucestershire and will now grace the Stags' line-up as an overseas player.

Noema-Barnett, 27, was replaced as CD skipper over the winter by coach Heinrich Malan, with the reason given that it would allow him to concentrate on trying to crack the New Zealand side. The only international team he's eligible for now is England, having taken advantage of being a British passport holder to sign with Gloucester as a local player.

Noema-Barnett still has to see out this season with the Stags and, if he has any thoughts about the fact Kruger van Wyk will now captain them this summer, he's keeping them to himself. But he did concede "it's not a massive coincidence" that he's looked to further his career elsewhere.

"I didn't really have anything to lose by going over there and it turns out I've gained a great deal and a bit of security and a new opportunity," Noema-Barnett said.

He had been playing club cricket in Holland when a friend helped tee up a trial at Gloucester. He had a couple of useful knocks for the county's second XI and was soon offered a contract too good to refuse.

Gloucester are coached by former Black Caps boss John Bracewell but he and Noema-Barnett hadn't met until the latter turned up to Bristol to trial. However he's not the first New Zealander Bracewell has signed to the club as a local.

Craig Spearman and Hamish Marshall, who is still on the books, gave up their Black Caps ambitions for a future with Gloucestershire. Auckland's Craig Cachopa did the same a few months ago, with Sussex.

Noema-Barnett said he would've "regretted" not taking this opportunity to find out how good he actually is. A hard-hitting left-handed batsmen, he scored the fastest 50 in New Zealand Twenty20 history (14 balls) three years ago and is also a decent medium pace bowler.

But his career since hasn't quite scaled the heights it appeared it might. Some of his better performances have come in short-form cricket, to go with first-class stats of 1533 runs at 30.05 and 57 wickets at 32.98.

"That's one of the things, you don't really know [how good you are]. I'll find out pretty quickly but I'm looking forward to playing a lot, as opposed to training a lot," Noema-Barnett said.

"It's a different mindset but they certainly have a lot of games over there. It's like anything, if you're doing it every day and in pressure situations or different environments, it's inevitable that you're going to improve."

His father Neil provides the family link to England and now the rest is up to him. A three-year deal is a fair sign of faith and Noema-Barnett is keen to repay that, which will probably mean leaving before the end of CD's season.

"I certainly owe the club a bit and I'll be looking to perform as soon as I get the opportunity to. I need to start well over there and I can't be fatigued and tired."

It seems unlikely he'll return to CD after that. The Stags have already lost Carl Cachopa and Tarun Nethula in the offseason and, until Noema-Barnett's status suddenly changed, were not going to bolster the ranks with an overseas player.
Seams like a bit of bad blood there

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I chose to interpret this as evidence that Duffman is well on his way to being the Ambrose-esque nightmare bowler that we all dreamed of, rather than Bracewell is returning to his usual abode in downtown ****sville.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nice to see openers faring well in both of these pre-season games. If there's one thing you want to avoid, it's Michael Pollard facing the new ball.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Are the pitches the typical early season greentops? If so Young and Bracewell's runs look very promising.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah. Ashok Menaria and Mandeep Singh have just about made double tons at Lincoln in early October.

It is the campus of future New Zealand agriscientists, after all.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I suppose Latham is playing for Canterbury in order to squeeze more guys in + to face a better bowling attack?