• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official New Zealand Domestic Cricket 2011/2012 ***

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
University Oval is awes and will only get better. 2nd best Test venue in the country for mine.
It's great, I'd go third though. Basin, by a country mile, Seddon Park, then University Oval. All three have the ability to walk right around the field of play and have great vantage points.

McLean Park isn't a great viewing ground (the biggest stand is square of the wicket) and the pitch is far too flat. And Auckland...doesn't have one.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Hard to tell whether he was talking about first class cricket in general or Auckland's season. Clearly with titles in both shorter forms of the game and the complete opposite in our Plunket Shield results, it's an area he saw as being disappointing. This sentiment was felt by the whole team though and is a definite area for improvement.

To my recollection no MA has ever won all three titles. What's your opinion? Pick your strengths and target specific format titles or play to perform the best in all three formats?
Would rather top the FC standings. Followed by List A.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Would rather top the FC standings. Followed by List A.
Whilst yours is a noble view, and I'm inclined to go the same way as a purist as well...you've got to accept this isn't the case for cricketers.

They are making a living, and T20 is where they are able to make the best living. Look at Kieron Pollard. Averages 21 with the bat in ODIs and 12 in T20 ints, and will never get within a bull's roar of Tests. But he's a millionaire, probably a few times over. I'd think he's pretty happy with his lot.

Plus in Auckland's case, they won the T20 and 50-over stuff, then had to go back to the four-day format where they didn't have much of a shot at the end of the season. I'd like to think they have had more pride in their performance and for their province, but it's tough to keep yourself up all season.

Personally I hate T20, but if I was playing it for money I'd soon learn to love it.

Slippaah

U19 12th Man
Voltman

Voltman--

On the same page with your comments on the old v newer venues . Its where the ICC is heading with Venue accreditation and the World Test Cricket Comp over the next 5 -10 years,under pressure from the money men who want a marketable Test Cricket Product . How will a smaller Test Playing Nation like N Z fare ? We may need to have 3 N Z Test venues with all the bells and whistles an increasingly politicised and profit conscious ICC could demand.

Managed to get to Carisbrook a few times ( many moons ago) for both codes and spent a few years chugging around a usually wintry Logan Park .The Forsyth Barr Stadium is a hit and a RWC generated winner for Otago Rugby and fans .Look no further than Auckland to see how not to do it.

Mike5181

International Captain
No domestic preseason is complete without an Andre Adams rant.

Very worrying he thinks we're that far behind England, though not surprising in the slightest.
I know he was never the greatest bowler but i always wondered what his career would have been like if he was given a few more opportunities in the test arena. His performances over there in county cricket have been immense.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The Tron pre-10pm is great. It's like a very mini Melbourne sporting-wise with Seddon Park/Waikato Stadium and the V8s within a stone's throw. All great venues. Plus they have great golf courses.

But the nightlife is.the.pits. Awful. Unbearable.

And I'm down there at the rugby tomorrow. Yeow!

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
The Tron pre-10pm is great. It's like a very mini Melbourne sporting-wise with Seddon Park/Waikato Stadium and the V8s within a stone's throw. All great venues. Plus they have great golf courses.

But the nightlife is.the.pits. Awful. Unbearable.

And I'm down there at the rugby tomorrow. Yeow!
I went out there for a night on the town in 1999 thought it was ok. I havn't even tried Wellington (I am old) and Upper Hutt certainly has nothing.

Гурин

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hi NZers, just a question:

I was interested if any of you has seen playing Matt Henry, the Canterbury bowler; From what I've read he singlehandedly won them the shield last year, so I was wondering if it was just a flash in the pan, or he does have some potential. Given that both Hadlee and Bond came out of that team, I was curious to hear somebody who's actually seen some of those matches. Anyone?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sadly not, sorry - didn't make it to the game he played here, and no FC games are televised in NZ.

His stats are amazing - 18 wickets @ 13.55 from 4 matches - and it'll be interesting to follow his progress this upcoming season. He still hasn't turned 20 yet, so could be a real prospect.

Гурин

School Boy/Girl Captain
no FC games are televised in NZ.
Thanks, I've searched a bit so I also discovered that and was quite surprised; it looks like they are not even making the highlights of the games.

How much would it cost to put 1 or 2 still cameras behind the wicket in 2011? That's inexplicable behavior from NZC

However, that would explain how come every NZer i've met said that he played it "in school" but wasn't really into cricket, "but there's surely somebody who is", yet they were more willing to talk even America's Cup, and, if they do knew something about cricket, they tried to change subject as soon as possible; it looked like following cricket was some sort of a shame (something that's common to the English, I have to say)

Flem274*

123/5
Well, prior to Hadlee and in the mid 90s and since 2008, we do have a long and proud history of losing...

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Гурин;2667931 said:
Thanks, I've searched a bit so I also discovered that and was quite surprised; it looks like they are not even making the highlights of the games.

How much would it cost to put 1 or 2 still cameras behind the wicket in 2011? That's inexplicable behavior from NZC

However, that would explain how come every NZer i've met said that he played it "in school" but wasn't really into cricket, "but there's surely somebody who is", yet they were more willing to talk even America's Cup, and, if they do knew something about cricket, they tried to change subject as soon as possible; it looked like following cricket was some sort of a shame (something that's common to the English, I have to say)
You must've had that America's Cup conversation in a yacht club. 1 in a million NZers gives a monkey's about rich men and their boats. Maybe not even that much.

NZ Cricket's domestic cricket scoring has the highest hit rate of any sporting website in the country. There's definitely interest, and a lot of it.

As for cameras behind the arm...yeah it'd be nice. Not sure what it amounts to budget-wise, television companies are not up to their ears in cameras (I'd guess) and there are bigger priorities than domestic cricket. Or maybe they know they can't cover it all the time - given internationals and whatever else may be on - so they don't want to do any coverage that isn't a blanket one.

And Matt Henry...haven't seen him bowl, but heard he's got a fair bit of pace about him. His record is even more notable when you factor in that three of his four FC matches were at Rangiora - a notorious featherbed - and the other at Colin Maiden.

Last edited:

Гурин

School Boy/Girl Captain
You must've had that America's Cup conversation in a yacht club. 1 in a million NZers gives a monkey's about rich men and their boats. Maybe not even that much.
Well, I don't know about you, but while during 99% of their lives no italian gives a hoot about sailing, as soon as some italian boat reaches the final they start such a massive advertising campaign that in a week time even the last farmer in the mountains pretends to be an expert in winds and spinnakers.

NZ Cricket's domestic cricket scoring has the highest hit rate of any sporting website in the country. There's definitely interest, and a lot of it.

As for cameras behind the arm...yeah it'd be nice. Not sure what it amounts to budget-wise, television companies are not up to their ears in cameras (I'd guess) and there are bigger priorities than domestic cricket. Or maybe they know they can't cover it all the time - given internationals and whatever else may be on - so they don't want to do any coverage that isn't a blanket one.
Well, so where's the harm in streaming the games for free (even without commentary) on the NZC website? You just need a couple of slightly evoluted webcams in every ground, and the score to appear in the bottom! How much could it cost?

I think it might even bring some new sponsorship, if what you say about the hit rate on the scoring pages is true I'm 100% sure that quite a few people would get a look at the games.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Гурин;2668079 said:
Well, I don't know about you, but while during 99% of their lives no italian gives a hoot about sailing, as soon as some italian boat reaches the final they start such a massive advertising campaign that in a week time even the last farmer in the mountains pretends to be an expert in winds and spinnakers.

Well, so where's the harm in streaming the games for free (even without commentary) on the NZC website? You just need a couple of slightly evoluted webcams in every ground, and the score to appear in the bottom! How much could it cost?

I think it might even bring some new sponsorship, if what you say about the hit rate on the scoring pages is true I'm 100% sure that quite a few people would get a look at the games.
We went gaga over the America's Cup a few years ago..but until it returns here, it's hardly a blip. Trust me, cricket is huge here.

Not at all sure on the streaming. All of the games already have a recording device - Pooch as it's called - to record the games and analyse after. However, all you're seeing is down the pitch. Having said that, I'd certainly watch it. And I imagine a lot would. Advertising wise, I'm sure they could get people on board. So I'm unsure why that hasn't happened.