• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official NBA Thread***

Fusion

Global Moderator
The Finals. :cool: Chance for redemption. I LOVED that Dirk (and the rest of his teammates) didn't stay too long to "celebrate" after the game. The job's not done. The real prize is still ahead.

Fusion

Global Moderator
That Dirk three-pointer to put them 1 point ahead was huge.
He's been the most under-rated superstar in the league for years. Much of that has been due to the Mavs post-season record, which I thought was hugely unfair to pin on him. Well, he's getting his due this year with fans/critics finally placing him in the same league as any current superstar and comparing him to the greats of the past. Seriously, I want Dirk to win a ring more than I want the Mavs to win it. The fact that one would automatically accomplish the other is just gravy. :)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Where's that ban button....
:)thought of you when i typed that...but i just think a healthy 'bron and wade with a healthy dose of bosh will prove to be too much for dallas...of course if one of the big two is hurt, it will be moreunpredictable...

Fusion

Global Moderator
Feel bad for Rose and the Bulls. That must have been a little heart-breaking.

So it's the rematch of the 2006 Finals. That Finals is the worst sports memory of my life. The way the Mavs lost (6 minutes away from being up 3-0, only to lose game 3 and the next 3 as well). Wade and the refs still haunt every Mavs fan to this day. We both have different teams this time around. Wade is not the same player he was in that series, Dirk is certainly not the same player now. The supporting cast is completely different for both teams. Miami is the favorite, but I like our chances. Bring it on. :)

Edit: Someone needs to check on Prowler. I'm worried about his well being right now.

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Feel bad for Rose and the Bulls. That must have been a little heart-breaking.

So it's the rematch of the 2006 Finals. That Finals is the worst sports memory of my life. The way the Mavs lost (6 minutes away from being up 3-0, only to lose game 3 and the next 3 as well). Wade and the refs still haunt every Mavs fan to this day. We both have different teams this time around. Wade is not the same player he was in that series, Dirk is certainly not the same player now. The supporting cast is completely different for both teams. Miami is the favorite, but I like our chances. Bring it on. :)

Edit: Someone needs to check on Prowler. I'm worried about his well being right now.
the bulls still need to become a little more battle-hardened before they can win a championship, but they have a young team and plenty of time so np10 doesn't need to be suicidally depressed or something:)...but to your point regarding the refs, i have always felt that dirk while a fantastic offensive player gets some of the softest foul calls in the league...in my opinion much more so than other superstars...

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
but to your point regarding the refs, i have always felt that dirk while a fantastic offensive player gets some of the softest foul calls in the league...in my opinion much more so than other superstars...
Woa really? If you only see the final finutes of Game 4 & 5 vs OKC and see him get mauled and not get the calls (yet still make the shot), I don't think you would come away with that impression. Dirk has faced that his entire career. It use to be that he was primarily a jump shooter and didn't attack the basket often, so when he did, he wouldn't get the calls. He has certainly changed and gets in the paint all the time now, unfortunately IMO, he still doesn't get the calls (as compared to other "superstars"). And you would have a hard time convincing me that ANYONE in this league gets more "soft" calls than Wade, though to Wade's credit, he does attack the rim more than anyone else in the league so he creates more opportunities to earn those calls. We will just have to strongly disagree on this one Anil. :)

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
the bulls still need to become a little more battle-hardened before they can win a championship, but they have a young team and plenty of time so np10 doesn't need to be suicidally depressed or something:)
Haha no way. While this series was very disappointing from an offensive perspective, this is exactly how far I expected them to go this year before the playoffs even started. I never thought they'd make it out of the East with just Rose on offense.

But...we've still got a 22 year old MVP, an amazing defense, a great coach, and a relatively young team. We're just one piece away from being the best in the East. Our D held Miami to around 85 points in almost every game, had our offense been there (we missed a ton of open shots in every fourth quarter) this series could've easily gone the other way.

An incredible season considering where we were last year.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
One of JR Smith or Jamal Crawford are ending up Chicago this off-season (lockout pending) surely. Given another wingman who can shoot from the perimeter but create his own shot in and out of the paint, the Bulls will be amazing next season. Boozer needs to stfu and make some baskets though (heh). No matter how bad JR/JC are on D, in that system they can be great, assuming they can buy into Thibs.

If Dwight somehow manages to magically stay in Orlando (or the Nets lol), the East could be quite good in the coming years.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Agree with both posts. I really liked Crawford this year, I think he'd be a great fit, not sure how he'd feel playing for the Bulls again. He left on bad terms IIRC. Also wish Thibs would throw out that playpamphlet he uses in games and actually get a playbook. FMD.

I really really love Noah. You could see the lack of defensive intensity when he was out for a few games in the season. The players may have bought into Thibs system, but I really believe Noah and Deng's attitude on defense really changed this team. And to think people still cry we didn't trade him for Melo. We may or may not score more with Melo, but we always defend well with Noah. I've seen him successfully guard 3-4-5 easily, often even 2's.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Yeah I'm not sure if Jamal will come back, but tbh I think JR would be a good fit for the Bulls anyway. He may not try on D (and be a bit of a headcase, which is an issue, but there's some very good character guys on the Bulls) but he's long for his position, he's young and athletic which means if they can get him buying in reasonably he'll hold his own enough, unlike Bogans, Korver etc who are either old or not athletic enough. Plus no man in the NBA gets hot like JR Smith does, to have that explosiveness in another position is something they really need.

The thing with Crawford is that he's essentially the only proven backcourt player on the market this offseason, which is going to put him in demand and the Bulls may not be willing to pay his price. JR will be affordable and has a higher upside.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Woa really? If you only see the final finutes of Game 4 & 5 vs OKC and see him get mauled and not get the calls (yet still make the shot), I don't think you would come away with that impression. Dirk has faced that his entire career. It use to be that he was primarily a jump shooter and didn't attack the basket often, so when he did, he wouldn't get the calls. He has certainly changed and gets in the paint all the time now, unfortunately IMO, he still doesn't get the calls (as compared to other "superstars"). And you would have a hard time convincing me that ANYONE in this league gets more "soft" calls than Wade, though to Wade's credit, he does attack the rim more than anyone else in the league so he creates more opportunities to earn those calls. We will just have to strongly disagree on this one Anil. :)
i don't know...it's just an impression but it's one that has been built up over years of watching him and other stars and how the refs treat them...

Fusion

Global Moderator
Played James/Wade. Oh well, on to Game 2. Our goal remains to steal one of the two and we're still in good shape coming back to Dallas.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not sure whether to believe it or not till it happens, but I'm sure duffer (iirc) will be pretty chuffed about this