• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 7 - South Africa v West Indies

Who will win this match?

• Total voters

James

Cricket Web Owner
South Africa v West Indies
Thu Feb 24

Feroz Shah Kotla, Delhi
09:00 GMT | 14:30 local | 20:00 EST | 19:30 CST | 17:00 WST

South Africa Squad

Graeme Smith (captain), Hashim Amla, Johan Botha, AB de Villiers (wicketkeeper), Jean-Paul Duminy, Faf du Plessis, Imran Tahir, Colin Ingram, Jacques Kallis, Morne Morkel, Wayne Parnell, Robin Peterson, Dale Steyn, Lonwabo Tsotsobe, Morne van Wyk (wicketkeeper)

West Indies Squad

Darren Sammy (captain), Sulieman Benn, Dwayne Bravo, Darren Bravo, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Kirk Edwards, Chris Gayle, Nikita Miller, Kieron Pollard, Ravi Rampaul, Kemar Roach, Andre Russell, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Devon Smith, Devon Thomas (wicketkeeper)

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Finally a match thread about SA.
SA to win by 50 runs plus or 6 wickets

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Losing Barath is a blow and Gayle’s got a pretty poor WC record as well. Though he averages well against South Africa away from home and the last time he faced South Africa in India in a ODI (Champions Trophy Semi Final 2006) he scored 133 N/O. Big tournament for Pollard, done nothing in Windies colours.

Was talk that South Africa may go in with 3 frontline spinners tomorrow but I think they will play it conservatively and just go in with Botha and Robbie P. Botha despite doing nothing with the ball against India and in the warm-ups going by the quotes he has given is untouchable. Interested to see who bats 6, neither Faf, Ingram or van Wyk had a real hit in the warm-ups or a chance to show they could finish.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What will SA's lineup look like?

Smith
Amla
Kallis
De Villiers
Duminy
Du Plessis/van Wyk
Botha
Steyn
Peterson/Tahir
Morkel
Tsotsobe

Good lineup that, but a bit short on lower-order batting.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
What will SA's lineup look like?

Smith
Amla
Kallis
De Villiers
Duminy
Du Plessis/van Wyk
Botha
Steyn
Peterson/Tahir
Morkel
Tsotsobe

Good lineup that, but a bit short on lower-order batting.
Something like that though Ingram could bat 6 and Robbie P will bat above Steyn. P has scored FC and OD hundreds and opened in limited overs cricket domestically and internationally. On batting alone he has to play with no Albie or McLaren in the 15 and with Parnell's batting not coming on quick enough.

Blaze 18

Banned
The first "proper" match of this World Cup. Let's hope it is a very close and exciting match. My gut feeling is that South Africa will win it without too many hiccups. West Indies don't really have the bowlers to trouble a team like South Africa.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Something like that though Ingram could bat 6 and Robbie P will bat above Steyn. P has scored FC and OD hundreds and opened in limited overs cricket domestically and internationally. On batting alone he has to play with no Albie or McLaren in the 15 and with Parnell's batting not coming on quick enough.
Is Ingram really good enough though? I think Van Wyk is someone who has been hard done by the selectors over the years, he has got a lot of ability and I certainly can see him doing a lot better than either du Plessis or Ingram.

Won't be a bad idea to bat him at #3 as he has the ability to play big shots and having someone like him in the top order would certainly help.

This is the side that I see Saffers going in with for the game against the Windies.

#Amla
#Smith
#Van Wyk
#Kallis
#AB
#Duminy
#Botha
#Peterson/Tahir
#Steyn
#Morkel
#Tsotobe

Can see the Saffers giving a real hiding to the West Indians, but frankly speaking if the West Indies really use their resources smartly (which I doubt they won't) then there is enough in their arsenal to beat any team.

kingkallis

International Coach
Graeme Smith
Hashim Amla
Jacques Kallis
Coling Ingram / Morne van Wyk
AB de villiers
JP Duminy
Johan Botha
Imran Tahir
Dale Steyn
Morne Morkel
Lonwobe Tsotsobe

This looks an ideal team for SAF.

smash84

The Tiger King
I have gone with WI. I get the feeling that SA will bite the dust tomorrow. Their performance in Abu Dhabi was terrible which has played some part in forming my expectations

salman85

International Debutant
They got stretched to the limit by a spirited Pakistan side,but they still won the ODI series.They lost 2 matches - One down to one of the greatest individual comeback ODI performances in history,and the other by 1 wicket.That does not qualify as terrible by any standards.

Last edited: