• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 7 - South Africa v West Indies

Who will win this match?

• Total voters

BeeGee

International Captain
For the Windies to win this game they need to bat first and put a big total on the board.
Gayle is the key, if he can explode at the top of the order, all the pressure will go back on the SA bowlers.
And pressure is the key to beating SA, if you let them get on top they'll destroy you.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
They won that series, didn't they? :huh:
They won the series but not at all convincingly. They also beat India in the ODI series at home but it was far from convincing given the fact that India were without so many star players. Had India been full strength then the series outcome would have been different.

They got stretched to the limit by a spirited Pakistan side,but they still won the ODI series.They lost 2 matches - One down to one of the greatest individual comeback ODI performances in history,and the other by 1 wicket.That does not qualify as terrible by any standards.
Yes but 4 of those 5 games were quite close and could have gone either way. They all went down to the wire. The SA fielding was bad and Pakistan didn't even have the right combinations established back then and were suffering from so many off the field controversies.

salman85

International Debutant
They won the series but not at all convincingly. They also beat India in the ODI series at home but it was far from convincing given the fact that India were without so many star players. Had India been full strength then the series outcome would have been different.

Yes but 4 of those 5 games were quite close and could have gone either way. They all went down to the wire. The SA fielding was bad and Pakistan didn't even have the right combinations established back then and were suffering from so many off the field controversies.
You're being harsh on SA IMO.Pakistan were a spirited side,and SA did well to beat them.Also,you need to take into account that Botha was captaining the side.They're a different unit under Smith.

I still hope they lose today.WI are a more exciting side to watch and i want them to get one over SA.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Is Ingram really good enough though? I think Van Wyk is someone who has been hard done by the selectors over the years, he has got a lot of ability and I certainly can see him doing a lot better than either du Plessis or Ingram.

Won't be a bad idea to bat him at #3 as he has the ability to play big shots and having someone like him in the top order would certainly help.

This is the side that I see Saffers going in with for the game against the Windies.

#Amla
#Smith
#Van Wyk
#Kallis
#AB
#Duminy
#Botha
#Peterson/Tahir
#Steyn
#Morkel
#Tsotobe

Can see the Saffers giving a real hiding to the West Indians, but frankly speaking if the West Indies really use their resources smartly (which I doubt they won't) then there is enough in their arsenal to beat any team.
That won't happen. Spots from 1 to 5 are fixed, whoever is chosen from Faf, Ingram or van Wyk will bat six. I'm no fan of Ingram but he is a proper onside, cow corner slogger so he may get a look in。 He also scored heavily batting for South Africa A against Bangladesh, Pak and Sri Lanka in the subcontinent last year, so unlike Faf he has the experience and knowledge of the conditions. Would love to see van Wyk play but Faf's fielding and bowling will probably see him get the nod at 6.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Playing 3 spinners and bowling first doesn't make much sense but this wicket is an unknown quantity and if there is any help for the seamers, Steyn and Morne will come to the party. Morne's been ace at first change so interested to see how he goes with the new ball. Two lefties up front so he should like.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Have the Windies changed their song recently? I remember a while ago they had some cool reggae guy singing "dis Caribbean nation is on de rise".

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Peterson? Does he really deserve inclusion?
When you have Botha at seven, you really do need someone decent at eight.

Frankly though, when you have Kallis, Faf and Duminy in the top six, I don't think you need Botha at seven at all. Would've picked a totally different side myself (MVW and Lopsy in for Robbie and Tahir), but oh well.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Playing 3 spinners and bowling first doesn't make much sense but this wicket is an unknown quantity and if there is any help for the seamers, Steyn and Morne will come to the party. Morne's been ace at first change so interested to see how he goes with the new ball. Two lefties up front so he should like.
Maybe Botha will open. Hard to juggle three spinners if one doesn't bowl at an odd time.