• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 7 - South Africa v West Indies

Who will win this match?

• Total voters

smash84

The Tiger King
Unlike other teams such as India, England, Australia and Pakistan who have a long batting line up, the South African tail is quite weak. So once the opposition manages to get rid of the top 5 (don't know much about Faf tbh), the rest will just collapse/choke. I see this as SA biggest worry for this tournament.
for once you make a good observation

pakcric

Cricket Spectator
South Africa is getting down, have lost there 2 most important batsmen.
What is going to happen guys?!!!!

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Someone is happy with De Villiers' strokeplay today.

Can confirm, however, that AB's shots today are even creamier than the pants of the commentator.
Haha, the guy is probably trying to put in a sneaky audition for a cricinfo journalist post.

Himannv

International Coach
Someone is happy with De Villiers' strokeplay today.

Can confirm, however, that AB's shots today are even creamier than the pants of the commentator.
More than one person creaming his pants. Read a lot of juicy de Villiers love on the SkySports commenrty as well.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The predictions league has increased my interest in these games. For I don't want De Villiers to score at a SR >108 as people will gain ground on me in the competition :p
Could also do with a few wickets being taken.

Prad100w

U19 Cricketer
Unlike other teams such as India, England, Australia and Pakistan who have a long batting line up, the South African tail is quite weak. So once the opposition manages to get rid of the top 5 (don't know much about Faf tbh), the rest will just collapse/choke. I see this as SA biggest worry for this tournament.
Good Point. I think SA would do ok if the scenario is to just stick around and build an innings after few top order wickets. But the real issue will come in if they have to score at a hefty pace. They don't really have those big hitters/experienced players in the lower order compared to teams like Pakistan/India. That's where i thought Albie Morkel should have won the deal. That said, their top order is really good and a terrific bowling line up to boot.

Woodster

International Captain
Agree with a lot of what has been said about SA's batting line-up. It's vital sides try and get into that mid-lower order without too much damage. The top 5 looks excellent, De Villiers is now one of the finest ODI batsmen around, Kallis continues in his own exceptional way, Amla is in tremendous touch, Smith rarely disappoints, and if Duminy can show in this WC the flashes of class he's shown in the past, he will be pivotal to SA getting the big totals. The problem is if, and it is an if, a side runs through the top order, do Du Plessis, Peterson, Botha, etc have enough to do a job, serious question marks at this stage imo.

As for the bowling attack, two very good and very different spinners in Botha and Tahir, should the pitch be conducive to spin, then there's Peterson, Du Plessis and Duminy to use. While Steyn, Morkel and Kallis is a decent trio for pitches with a bit more in it for the quicker bowlers. It looks to have most angles covered, but at this very early stage, my concern for them would be the depth of the batting.