• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 5 - England v Netherlands

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Be good to see how he goes in this World Cup, had an excellent season with Worcester last season and no doubt made an impression on the England selectors. Looking forward to seeing how he goes tomorrow. The key for Holland is RTD though, his bowling may be useful on the sub-continent, and his batting can be explosive. Bring on tomorrow!
Think RTDs bowling will be exposed in this tournament. Netherlands have got the batting to put 200+ totals down against the big boys but I feel they just haven't got the bowlers, particularly in the spin department to cause an upset. Seelaar their likely first choice spinner has never taken a ODI wicket against a non-associate and against the best associate side, Afghanistan, he averages close to 100 while its even worse for Adeel Raja, who averages close to 150 with the ball against Afghanistan + non-associates.

sudhindra9

School Boy/Girl Captain
Looks like quite a lot are betting on Holland. Its gonna be one sided match with England winning easy. We've got KP at the top going all out.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ineligible now he's played for Oz.
Why didn't that rule apply to Morgan after he'd played for Ireland? Has it been introduced recently? Can think of quite a few cricketers who've represented more than one country, Kepler Wessels etc.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
You can go from associate to full member straight away. To do the reverse (or full member to full member) means a four year wait.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Why didn't that rule apply to Morgan after he'd played for Ireland? Has it been introduced recently? Can think of quite a few cricketers who've represented more than one country, Kepler Wessels etc.
Morgan is ineligible for Ireland now. You can go from Associate to full nation without waiting four (I think it is) years, but not the other way.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And Joyce has gone back to Ireland after a 4 yr wait the other way though i think he did something like 3 yrs 8 months and got special dispensation from ICC. For once making a correct decision.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It does make sense there should be a wait - otherwise Nannes could effectively play ODIs for the Netherlands and T20 for Australia. But moving immediately from Associates to full members does make it seem as though they treat it as a "promotion".

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
It does make sense there should be a wait - otherwise Nannes could effectively play ODIs for the Netherlands and T20 for Australia. But moving immediately from Associates to full members does make it seem as though they treat it as a "promotion".
Yes, but I think there may be a discussion as to the length of the wait, and whether four years is appropriate. Personally I think maybe two years is long enough if you are originally from the associate country in question, Joyce for example, with the proviso that you can't move back again to the full nation. For someone like Hamish Marshall, I think four years is fine.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
To be honest, I'm not sure it is immediate anyway is it?

Pretty sure there has been a qualifying period for the likes of Morgan and Joyce before him (or is that something the ECB has applied voluntarily?)

Howe_zat

Audio File
All well in the england camp today. News from @zaltzcricket on Twitter:

England's Tim Bresnan also available after recovering from emotional trauma of watching animated rabbit move classic Watership Down.

Bresnan: "It puts cricket and everything we do in perspective. We're going to go out there and win it for those poor little bunnies"

Woodster

International Captain
Think RTDs bowling will be exposed in this tournament. Netherlands have got the batting to put 200+ totals down against the big boys but I feel they just haven't got the bowlers, particularly in the spin department to cause an upset. Seelaar their likely first choice spinner has never taken a ODI wicket against a non-associate and against the best associate side, Afghanistan, he averages close to 100 while its even worse for Adeel Raja, who averages close to 150 with the ball against Afghanistan + non-associates.
Bowling does look to be a weak area of this Netherlands side. I think with RTD, if he can use his changes of pace, and bowl, as he does, pretty straight and accurate, I do believe he'll go well, but time will tell.

Woodster

International Captain
Decent side for England today. Bopara in ahead of Yardy, Swann returning, probably as strong a side as we could field today imo.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Decent side for England today. Bopara in ahead of Yardy, Swann returning, probably as strong a side as we could field today imo.
I think I like this side. Collingwood's been bowling really well, so I think that means Yardy isn't really required atm.

Woodster

International Captain
I think I like this side. Collingwood's been bowling really well, so I think that means Yardy isn't really required atm.
We do have a few options with the ball for the fifth bowler, as you say, Collingwood's going well with the ball, we can also use Bopara, Trott, and KP. Decent looking side.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
AJ Strauss*, KP Pietersen, IJL Trott, IR Bell, PD Collingwood, RS Bopara, MJ Prior†, TT Bresnan, SCJ Broad, GP Swann, JM Anderson

interesting team. 4 very good frontline bowlers, and 4 good part time options in the bowling lineup, probably second best in the comp to south africa. unlike poorer bowling teams like india and australia, i dont see them conceding huge scores. Batting wise a fewplayers who can be great in one day cricket if they're in form, but not enough fire power in the lower order.

Guys like pietersen up the top, trott/bell in the middle and prior at the end will really have to be prolific and on top of their game if they are to do anything in the tournament.

Last edited: