• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 26 - Sri Lanka v Zimbabwe

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
They went at six an over FFS!! They're tuning up for India, Zaheer aside, this attack is pretty much on a par. Certainly Price > the spinners in the Indian side.

Still, plainly SL would have been better off being 155/5 (18), wouldn't they?

Sorry mate, but what you're saying cannot be allowed to go unchecked, lest someone else pick it up and run with it.

It's good to have ideas, but this idea of yours that pissing away wickets for the sake of it is dangerously poor.
They were going at 6 an over but that was on the back of what was a lightning start, 30 off the 1st 3 overs. After that for the majority of the innings they were at 6 an over just by knocking the ball around.

We are experimenting with our bowling, Ashwin is being held back for the later rounds and to say Price is better than our spinners, once again shows your lack of knowledge of the game.

By all means get a good start work the ball around, yesterday we had 69 on the tins before we lost our first wicket.

What people dont realise is, Yuvi being in form is key for us, our top order havent exactly looked out of touch even though they not made big scores against the minnows while Sachin and Viru both have big hundred, and Kohli has a hundred to boot.

Yuvraj and our lower order finding form is a great sign for us, under pressure in a knock out match they will have been there before, been hitting the ball in the middle, scoring runs.

I think when you play a weak opponent such as this, you need to do enough to win the match but also in the back of your mind be thinking about what is best for your team in terms of winning the tournament.

Sri Lanka to me have done more than enough to win this match, but not perhaps thought through the potential pressure situtations they will face in the latter rounds.

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
It would be interesting to see if SL are playing their quarters in colombo. Would be very difficult for the opposition team. They are so good at home.
I think SL have to come 4th in their group to play at home, dont see that happening, unless their management, have already got some plans in place...

kingpin

State Vice-Captain
Even though the patnership is huge I think they didnt score at a quick rate........their was easy 370 for the grabbing

Prad100w

U19 Cricketer
Hmm, England scored 327 the other day with a collapse in the end and Ireland won the match. What can zim do here?

Spark

Global Moderator
Hmm, England scored 327 the other day with a collapse in the end and Ireland won the match. What can zim do here?
India did the same and almost lost. Slog overs doesn't equal stupid overs.

---

All I will say is that if Dhoni agrees with Dhoni fan then India may well find themselves knocked out in the quarters. Embarrassingly.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Amazing that people are still responding to Dhoni Fan. This is 3 matches now. He's winning the war!

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
India did the same and almost lost. Slog overs doesn't equal stupid overs.

---

All I will say is that if Dhoni agrees with Dhoni fan then India may well find themselves knocked out in the quarters. Embarrassingly.
Spark the Quarters are do or die, that is not the time to experiment or give the lower order time in the middle,

That is where if you want to win the world cup. you have to exectute your skills and hopefully play to your best, you would by then have had enough time in the tournament, to warm up through the group stages, against weak teams and enough time for all of our key players to find time in the middle

My approach was for the group stages not the knock outs!

Spark

Global Moderator
It's not about experimenting. It's about the attitude of the team. What you suggest is negative, selfish and dangerous and it will backfire when it carries over. You cannot just instantly switch on and off like that - bat lazily in a game or two and you'll risk picking up the habit. Looking good is irrelevant. Runs are.

If you'd told Matty Hayden, Ricky Ponting or Michael Clarke in 2007 "hey, you guys have enough runs, let players who haven't had a hit like Hussey or Watson by playing like headless chickens" they'd have laughed. Or punched you in the face. (Or slapped, yes, I can see that one coming).

You win world cups by trying to win every game as comprehensively as you can.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think SL have to come 4th in their group to play at home, dont see that happening, unless their management, have already got some plans in place...
Unusually for you, you're wrong.

SL have to avoid India to play their quarter final at home.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Very good start by Zimbabwe (hope I don't jinx it), can they now do what Ireland did against England. Also bear in mind that when Pakistan played against New Zealand on this ground, there was a lot of dew in the evening, which negated NZ's bowling attack (we all saw how Gul managed to score runs). I am hoping that the same happens today.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That Malinga drop could cost SL.

This is what they get for playing so many seam bowlers. Play to your strengths.

Also what they get for playing for milestones from the 35th to 40th over.