• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Ireland in England 2019

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yes it a problem with only a least worse solution and even that's subjective. Imo that's YJB at 3 or opener just to get some depth for the frailty at the top.
Yeah I agree, I'd be doing that too. But I don't think it's obviously true to the point of them being stupid if they don't. Foakes is a 60/40 selection at best IMO and if he's not scoring runs it becomes 50/50.

Flem274*

123/5
I forgot to say this earlier but a test opener calling for a night watchman is pretty funny, especially since is his debut.

Surely youd want to get back out there after failing and want to show your stuff

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I forgot to say this earlier but a test opener calling for a night watchman is pretty funny, especially since is his debut.

Surely youd want to get back out there after failing and want to show your stuff
It may not have been his choice. I've been told by my captain/coach before as an opening batsman "you're not going out there this week you'll just **** up"

cnerd123

likes this
it's a decent strategic move because if Leach nicks off first ball, that's stumps. Why risk losing Roy or Burns right before the close of play? And now you start Day 2 with Leach having the freedom to whack the ball around a bit. If he gets a few streaky boundaries away it's like gold.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
probably bettered by only vaughan himself

yjb yet to master that mischievous look at the track tho that makes the viewer think the pitch was playing up rather than the batsman not being up to it
Tbf it was the wide eyed, jaw dropped look of incredulity that Vaughan perfected.

vcs

The best example of Vaughan doing that was the first innings of Lord's 05, when he acted as though the ball from McGarth had rolled, but it hit the top of off stump. Which makes sense, given it was day one.
I think the one that Flintoff got did keep a bit low.

Groundking

International Debutant

Tbf it is high time that we reversed our batting order anyway.

Uppercut

Not sure we have another 10 wickets in us on this deck in 38 degree heat. Expecting to see a couple of centuries today.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
What’s with the ridiculous weather back at home? Feels strange to be glad to have escaped England for some more pleasant sunshine

aussie tragic

International Captain
Reading this on cricinfo

England's first innings amounted to just 85. It was the first time they had been bowled out before lunch on the first day of a Lord's Test and the shortest innings, in terms of balls received, in their history of home Tests. It was also the fourth time in three years they had lost 10 wickets within a single session; a phenomenon that was almost unheard of until 2016.

Hope Ireland keeps it up and takes them out for less than 122 to ensure an innings win over England in only their 3rd test :)

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Reading this on cricinfo

England's first innings amounted to just 85. It was the first time they had been bowled out before lunch on the first day of a Lord's Test and the shortest innings, in terms of balls received, in their history of home Tests. It was also the fourth time in three years they had lost 10 wickets within a single session; a phenomenon that was almost unheard of until 2016.

Hope Ireland keeps it up and takes them out for less than 122 to ensure an innings win over England in only their 3rd test :)
that would be grand

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
So England are getting touched up by Ireland while the Aussies are busy playing with themselves........unusual approach to Ashes prep for both sides.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Being only a 4 day test, I understand 98 overs are to be bowled per day. There were only 83 overs yesterday so is Root about to be banned for a match?

Uppercut

Being only a 4 day test, I understand 98 overs are to be bowled per day. There were only 83 overs yesterday so is Root about to be banned for a match?
Did anyone mention the over rate stuff in the "****ing stupid cricket rules" thread? They should have.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I don't personally know the specifics but they have calculations to take into accounts things that slow play down. 20 wickets and two changes of innings probably amounts to about an hour of play lost that wouldn't usually happen.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Also pretty sure they've just (as in a week or so ago) changed the rules so that captains don't get banned for slow over rates anymore.