• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** IPL match discussion thread

ret

International Debutant
Congrats to Royals for winning the Ist IPL .... Looking forward to the next edition

ret

International Debutant
and congrats to Watson for being the MoT .... Yusuf Pathan is turning out to be a good big match player with a superb display in both the knockout games

irfan

State Captain
Wow, what an awesome final.Absolutely gutted we lost on the final ball, but Rajasthan probably deserved it being the better team over the tourny. We made a couple of mistakes that cost us dearly

1. Kapugedera sent above Badrinath, WTF? I can understand Dhoni, Morkel going ahead of Badrinath because they can be power hitters while Subaru is mainly class and timing, but some token Sri Lankan who has done **** all, all tournament? why? Severly halted our final over momentum

2. Raina dropping Yusuf. As soon as I heard it happen (visual feed broke down) I just knew he dropped the IPL cup. Redeemed himself with a superb runout but Yusuf had done the damage.

3. Balaji bowlling the last over. He's no Joginder Sharma, Dhoni.

4. Morkel's wides and no balls, gave away freebies when we should have been tighter than a MaryKate Olsen corset.

Still awesome that we dragged it out til the final ball. Dissapointed that Badrinath didn't get MOTM for his superlative 6(2)* including a straight drive that split two fielders. I mean he stroke at 300, what more do you want?

Oh yea well done Yusuf Pathan. Gonna be gun for India in the limited over fomats.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Great win and great tourney for Rajasthan Royals. Been the best side by far in the IPL and would have been injustice had they not won the whole thing. They deserved this more than any other side. Warney captaincy, Watto's brilliance, Yusuf's all round performance, Asnodkar and Smith's amazing opening partnerships, Jadeja's fielding, Tanvir's amazing variations with the ball, Munaf and Trivedi's surprising consistency as bowlers all added up to a champion team. Take a bow, RR. :notworthy:

Chennai gave them a good fight. I said yesterday that as long as we put up a good fight, I would be happy and I am. And how cool was it to see Dhoni call in a huddle after the loss and just letting the guys know that they had all done well and were simply beaten by a better team. They were all but written off with their weak bowling once Hayden and Hussey left but how well have they come back... Third in the league and a clinical performance to beat the Kings XI for the 3rd time in the tourney. But it wasn't 3rd time lucky for them against the Royals... :)

And yeah, Kapu ahead of Badri must have just been a brain explosion on Dhoni's part. He is a great leader, great motivator and someone who inspires his players just by his sheer presence. But his tactical nous is not that good and again, it looked like he didn't have a plan B. If he can improve those two areas, I think he will be one of the great captains we have ever had..

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Holding the semis and finals in a pre-determined venue was always a dumb idea. How cool would it have been if this final was in Jaipur.
Yeah, there should be some reward for coming first as well.

I would like the better team to have the home advantage in the semi finals, and maybe in the finals, the team ranked higher could choose to bat or bowl (no toss).

Or you could have a best of three finals, and just rotate the venue with the first two games being in the higher ranked city, and the third game, if needed, is played in the second ranked city. If the season is ever lengthened to 20-25 regular games, then I'd want a best of three semi final and final, but right now, the season itself is too short to justify that.

yaju

State Vice-Captain
Dhoni told in an interview that Kapu came onto bat when Dhoni was batting, it was the coach and not his idea to send him up the order.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I would like the better team to have the home advantage in the semi finals, and maybe in the finals, the team ranked higher could choose to bat or bowl (no toss).

Or you could have a best of three finals, and just rotate the venue with the first two games being in the higher ranked city, and the third game, if needed, is played in the second ranked city. If the season is ever lengthened to 20-25 regular games, then I'd want a best of three semi final and final, but right now, the season itself is too short to justify that.
Well for mine, whilst I liked the Chennai team, the fact that they almost took the whole thing out suggests the finals system is flawed.

For as long as there are only 8 teams, the top two should just play off in a best of 3 finals series with the team ending up on top getting 2 home games. The first, and the third if necessary.

In the AFL the top 8 teams out of 16 make finals, but at least the top 4 get a double chance, and 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th get home games vs. 4th, 3rd, 8th and 7th.

However when there are only 8 teams, and coming 4th is as good as coming 1st, there's no incentive to whip ass throughout the season. Chennai almost won the whole thing, yet they were particularly ordinary during the tournament.

And the argument of "oh you have to peak in finals, and play well when it matters" doesn't work in this instance, because when its knockout IMMEDIATELY and no favour to the top 2 teams, the rest of the season is pointless.

At least in other sports (eg. AFL again), whilst you can be ordinary throughout the year, sneak into the top 8 and win the flag, but you have to be absolutely brilliant throughout the finals series and get through a lot of obstacles (no double chance, away games all the time, 4 wins on the trot with no week off).

Hopefully the BCCI look into it next season.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The thing that has to be weighed up over the finals is extending the length of the tournament any more than it is right now. If they could compact the group stages into a month or so then a best of 3 semi's and finals series could be accomodated.

Personally I didn't mind the neutral finals or the pure elimination format of the competition, just took away a lot of the predictability that would've been there with a series.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
They didn't even have the opportunity to buy it.

One of the major disappointments of the tournament, from my perspective.
I agree it was a disgrace, but I'd be lying if I said I noticed.

Not arguing that that makes it okay, but didn't have as much of an impact as I figured it would.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great no1, but I thought Balaji got the first hat-trick in the IPL followed by Mishra and Ntini. Don't remember a Lee hattrick in there.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Firstly, haven't posted a lot in the IPL thread mainly because I watched the highlights of each match but was consistently behind and didn't want to spoil myself of the results. Managed to catch up over the weekend of the semis and finals and managed to see full coverage of all three matches.

Personally, I really enjoyed the tournament. Obviously watching every ball of every match would've been overkill, but highlights of the majority and full coverage of a handful was a good balance IMO. Anyone who is still in the T20 sceptics club must surely be feeling a bit left out, as the intensity of the matches, especially in the semis and finals was of international standard.

I initially was behind Chennai, then Delhi and switched to Rajastan midway through the tournament, so was extremely pleased to see them win. They thoroughly deserved the victory after such a dominant display at home, and an equally impressive record batting second in the tournament. Watson, for only US$125,000 (correct me if thats wrong) proved fantastic value and was quite rightly named Player of the Tournament. Yusuf Pathan was equally sensational, and although I'm sure there will be a debate as to whether T20 performances should go towards ODI selection, his allround skills will surely be of use to the Indian limited overs side sometime in the future. Warne and Tanvir, outstanding. Given even the younger Indian players like Trivedi and Asnodka (I don't think anyone had heard of him before the tournament) played their part, they were clearly the best side.

Chennai should feel proud to have come so close, and I feel the decision to promote Kapugedera, who had made no impact in the tournament, ahead of Badrinath, along with Raina's dropped catch were key moments in seeing them receive the silver medal. That and the absense of Joginda Sharma, with Balaji surprisingly lackluster.

Best moments of the tournament for me:
McCullum's 158* in the opening match
Symonds' conceeding 17 off the final over against Rajastan to lose the game after he'd scored a century earlier in the match
The last 5 overs of the final - international standard

Just one issue would be the scheduling of the grounds for the semis and final. I think Warne was quite right to complain about the Royals not receiving any advantage for topping the pool, so that'll be something the organisers of the IPL will need to look into. In saying that, it could cause a problem if teams 1 and 2 lose, leaving team 3 with an unexpected final. Lack of preparation for the pitch, closing ceremony (which was very professional for a cricket tournament) performers and props all need to be transported, etc, so I guess whether its logistically possible or not will play some bearing as to what happens in the next IPL.