• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** IPL match discussion thread

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Great no1, but I thought Balaji got the first hat-trick in the IPL followed by Mishra and Ntini. Don't remember a Lee hattrick in there.
Lee didn't take a hattrick - the three you've mentioned were the only three players to perform the feat.

pasag

RTDAS
Somerset said:
Anyone who is still in the T20 sceptics club must surely be feeling a bit left out...
I reckon I watched more of the tournament than nearly anyone on this board, but I'm still a Twenty20 skeptic (in terms of I don't enjoy it anywhere near as much as the other formats, though I did enjoy the tournament immensely).

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I reckon I watched more of the tournament than nearly anyone on this board, but I'm still a Twenty20 skeptic (in terms of I don't enjoy it anywhere near as much as the other formats, though I did enjoy the tournament immensely).
I think T20 skeptics refer to the people who doubts it credibility as cricket and doubt whether it can be successful and have decent longevity.

And great post by Somerset, agree with all of that except I didn't mind the idea of neutral venues for the semi's and finals. I thought DY Patul looked magnificent for all 3 games and the atmosphere was as good as you'll ever get anywhere incricket.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I think T20 skeptics refer to the people who doubts it credibility as cricket and doubt whether it can be successful and have decent longevity.

And great post by Somerset, agree with all of that except I didn't mind the idea of neutral venues for the semi's and finals. I thought DY Patul looked magnificent for all 3 games and the atmosphere was as good as you'll ever get anywhere incricket.
Thanks - as I say the idea of neutral venues may be the most logical when you consider pitch preparation, and the Royals won anyway so perhaps it didn't have that much of a bearing. And agreed that the ground looked spectacular.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

pretty sure the semis were at Wankhede. Finals was at DY Patil though. :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Thanks - as I say the idea of neutral venues may be the most logical when you consider pitch preparation, and the Royals won anyway so perhaps it didn't have that much of a bearing. And agreed that the ground looked spectacular.
The thing is, it was not meant to be a neutral venue. If Mumbai made it to the semis and then finals as the 4th best team, it would have meant that the 4th placed team gained an advantage ("unfair" by most people's standards) over the top 3 teams which is ridiculous to say the least.....

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The thing is, it was not meant to be a neutral venue. If Mumbai made it to the semis and then finals as the 4th best team, it would have meant that the 4th placed team gained an advantage ("unfair" by most people's standards) over the top 3 teams which is ridiculous to say the least.....
I think the fact that so many of the owners were from Mumbai (Ambani, Zinta and Wadia, Shahrukh with Mallaya staying in Mumbai more than in Bangalore), I think they must have decided before hand that at least on of them would be involved with a team in the finals. I would not be surprised that if this came up for discussion before hand, all of the above agreed on Mumbai while none of the other four would have had anything in common with each other.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think the fact that so many of the owners were from Mumbai (Ambani, Zinta and Wadia, Shahrukh with Mallaya staying in Mumbai more than in Bangalore), I think they must have decided before hand that at least on of them would be involved with a team in the finals. I would not be surprised that if this came up for discussion before hand, all of the above agreed on Mumbai while none of the other four would have had anything in common with each other.
I thought Ambani had paid the IPL quite a bit of money to get the finals to Mumbai? That's what a lot of the press were insinuating.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It had nothing to do with a neutral venue.

The only other consideration was the size and facilities at the venue thus Eden gardens was a main contender and Mohali another.

With the problems in Kolkata with suspected sabotage at Eden Gardens, that got ruled out. Then when everyone saw the new stadium at Navi Mumbai, they decided that was it. It had everything. Very large, great facilities, latest equipment, great lighting and four of the franchisees were living in Mumbai.

Besides the BCCI :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Either way, if they are serious about making this a "sporting success" as opposed to an "entertainment show success", they better start giving the top 2 teams home semifinals with the finals maybe at a neutral venue. That would make much more SPORTING sense...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I thought Ambani had paid the IPL quite a bit of money to get the finals to Mumbai? That's what a lot of the press were insinuating.
Wont be surprised if they did.

By the way, its amazing that there is no chatter on this board of the betting involved in IPL. An estimate puts the amount involved as being something like 6 billion USD !

A 100 million per game.

No one batted a eye lid at how the two semi finals went....

Too much money for anyone to rake up the muck ?

biased indian

International Coach
It was not like that the franchise which spent the most amount of money was given the choice...90% sure next time it will be held in Bangalore..mallaya will definetly want those money has his franchise is the one with the highest loss for first year

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It was not like that the franchise which spent the most amount of money was given the choice...90% sure next time it will be held in Bangalore..mallaya will definetly want those money has his franchise is the one with the highest loss for first year
I agree. I personally feel that more Franchisees would have agreed to Mumbai than any other city which is the reason for the selection.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
The franchise that paid the most got the semi and final. The franchise that paid the second most got the opening match. That was said by the commentators during the final.