• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** IPL match discussion thread

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
What are your comments on Munaf? I was listening to Watson on television
He's a great guy, initially there was a language barrier, but we got around it
No mention of fitness. Surprisingly, his lack of fielding abilities have not shown up at all here. Maybe a lesson for Kumble and Dhoni to learn, given that the Indian team is saddled with at least one liability on the field. He's bowled very slowly here, but line and length were not too bad, and that delivery that got McGrath wincing and 'coaching' was a classic.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
although I like Delhi, a Gambhir and Sehwag show, i don't think they deserve to be in the semis at the cost of Mumbai

only if MI had gone through and we could have seen a Royals vs MI final [thats assuming that MI would have been at 3 and knocked out Mohali]
You talk as if someone handed DDD the SF spot. Bombay Indians were poor and deserved to miss the SF.

They choked so many times in the tournament. Biggest chokers of IPL.

sideshowtim

Banned
You talk as if someone handed DDD the SF spot. Bombay Indians were poor and deserved to miss the SF.

Spot on, mate. What a pack of duds.

Weren't helped by some poor captaincy in the latter stages either TBH.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
It isn't that surprising really, everyone knows Australia has the best cricketing minds. All these poor young Indians must follow Watto and Warney around like they are Gods. They probably throw flowers before the ground they walk on and ****.
What the hell is that. How can someone post this sort of BS and get away with that.

That's pure KKK rant.

ret

International Debutant

what i m implying is that i think that MI is better than DD .... and it would have been good if it had been able to pull out 1 of the 3 close games that it lost .... it didn't, so it's not in the semis but it didn't miss by much

let's not forget that MI won 6 in a row, which is an IPL record after being 0-4 down .... which is not exactly chokers stuff

and i remember reading somewhere that you don't like MI, so i don't know how seriously to take your comments

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
What are your comments on Munaf? I was listening to Watson on televisionNo mention of fitness. Surprisingly, his lack of fielding abilities have not shown up at all here. Maybe a lesson for Kumble and Dhoni to learn, given that the Indian team is saddled with at least one liability on the field. He's bowled very slowly here, but line and length were not too bad, and that delivery that got McGrath wincing and 'coaching' was a classic.
How slowly? From what I have seen, he has bowled from 130-136kph throughout the tournament.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
what i m implying is that i think that MI is better than DD .... and it would have been good if it had been able to pull out 1 of the 3 close games that it lost .... it didn't, so it's not in the semis but it didn't miss by much

let's not forget that MI won 6 in a row, which is an IPL record after being 0-4 down .... which is not exactly chokers stuff

and i remember reading somewhere that you don't like MI, so i don't know how seriously to take your comments
Just because you think Bombay are better doesn't really mean that they deserve to go to finals. The fact is that they didn't win enough matches to qualify for the top 4 spot just like other 6 teams, hence didn't deserve to goto the finals.

And that is despite spending of the RIL money on getting the best players.

That they won 6 in a row doesn't mean or prove anything. And you 6-0 IPL record is kinda funny as it is not so much of a record now since this is the first season.

And No I do not like anything that has anything to do with Mumbai. I prefer Bombay, the Bombay I used to live in and loved. That city is dead and buried.

ret

International Debutant
Just because you think Bombay are better doesn't really mean that they deserve to go to finals. The fact is that they didn't win enough matches to qualify for the top 4 spot just like other 6 teams, hence didn't deserve to goto the finals.

by that same logic why should your opinion matter, i.e. just coz you think that they lost some games so they didn't deserve to go doesn't mean that they didn;t deserve to go in the semis :laugh: ... btw, there is something called 'upsets' too

and again i m going much deeper than the obvious and pointing that even though they lost 3 close games, they were a better team, imo

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
How good is this IPL side ?

1. Shaun Marsh
  2. Swapnil Asnodkar
  3. Mike Hussey
  4. Shane Watson
  5. Venugopal Rao
  6. Dwayne Bravo
  7. Ross Taylor
  8. Prasant Saha
  9. Sohail Tanveer
  10. Umar Gul
  11. Glen McGrath

• The team (entire 11) averages 40.9 with the bat. !
  • The top 9 (NINE no less) batsmen average over 45 !
  • The entire 11 has a combined strike rate of 144 plus !
  • Between them they have hit 2 centuries and 16 fifties in the combined total of 102 innings.
  • And a small matter of 220 boundaries and 99 sixes !!

• The main five bowlers have taken 72 wickets between them.
  • The combined average of these five is 18.78
  • The combined strike rate is 16.04
  • The combined economy 7.0 runs per over or 117 per hundred balls which gives a very net run rate.

But thats not the most striking thing about this team.

The most amazing stat of this team is that their combined cost to their respective franchisees is $ 1,445,000 !

I could have improved the balance of this side by including Shane Warne in place of McGrath. That would improve all the batting and bowling stats but the cost of the team (1,54,5000) would go slightly above that of the skipper of the Chennai Super Kings alone. I am told he has asked for two and a half times for his current value of 1.5 million when a transfer was suggested. :)

It would be interesting to pit these guys against a zillionaire team :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Here is what I call the Celebrity XI with their values alongside. Their skipper (Dhoni), inspite of his relatively modest tournament is far and above their best performer.

Code:
1	H Gibbs 	575000
2	Rahul Dravid	1035000
3	Jacques Kallis	900000
4	MS Dhoni	1500000
5	Shoaib Malik 	500000
6	Mohammad Kaif	675000
7	Dinesh Karthik	525000
8	Shahid Afridi 	675000
9	Jacob Oram 	675000
10	RP Singh	875000
11	Ishant Sharma	950000
They cost a combined total of almost NINE MILLION $ !!

PHEW !!

Some return on nvestment.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
by that same logic why should your opinion matter, i.e. just coz you think that they lost some games so they didn't deserve to go doesn't mean that they didn;t deserve to go in the semis
The amount of games they won and lost isn't his opinion though; it's fact.

btw, there is something called 'upsets' too
Indeed. Upsets don't occur when teams win despite playing poorer cricket than the opposition though; they occur when the performances of teams do not match the expectations of them going into the match. If Mumbai play **** and lose a game they're expected to win, that's their own fault really, and if they do that regularly then they don't deserve to make the finals.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Here is what I call the Celebrity XI with their values alongside. Their skipper (Dhoni), inspite of his relatively modest tournament is far and above their best performer.

Code:
1	H Gibbs 	575000
2	Rahul Dravid	1035000
3	Jacques Kallis	900000
4	MS Dhoni	1500000
5	Shoaib Malik 	500000
6	Mohammad Kaif	675000
7	Dinesh Karthik	525000
8	Shahid Afridi 	675000
9	Jacob Oram 	675000
10	RP Singh	875000
11	Ishant Sharma	950000
They cost a combined total of almost NINE MILLION $ !!

PHEW !!

Some return on nvestment.
I thought Sachin would make that list, SJS.. IIRC, he was there in a similar list from cricinfo, in the #2 spot, no less......

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I thought you must have been hurt seeing Rahul Dravid on that list :laugh:
nah.. he hasn't lived up to his billing either. Fair enough. :) To be honest, I was more hurt by the fact that Uthappa didn't make it. I don't really care about the stats but he was one of the flops of the tournament, for me.

Ah, I see, you left out all Mumbai players there. Very shrewd indeed. :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
nah.. he hasn't lived up to his billing either. Fair enough. :) To be honest, I was more hurt by the fact that Uthappa didn't make it. I don't really care about the stats but he was one of the flops of the tournament, for me.

Ah, I see, you left out all Mumbai players there. Very shrewd indeed. :)
But I agree with you about Uthappa. He was atrocious. At least Sachin came out of injury and played next to nothing in the two blobs he scored. Later he played a BIG part in MI's revival with successive opening partnerships with Jayasuriya.

He was willing to play second fiddle and take singles and give him the strike since he was in great touch. If some one of the caliber of Sachin can do that, realising that this is in teams interest, how come a Johnny-come-lately like Uthappa doesn't get it and insists on playing the "Indian-Sir-Vivian" every time he is at the crease. Uthappa's failure to be able to see that his tactics of rushing out and playing so many predetermined strokes are not working, has convinced me that he is one of the dumbest guys to step on a cricket field.