• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Indian Premier League 2010

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
People are going on and on about Henderson here - if they watched a bit of last summer's Twenty20 over here, they'd soon change their mind. Poor even at county level, just had a spell of rich form for a couple of years against relatively weak county attacks.
Can you name a better player? Luke Wright, perhaps? Better batsman, but inadequate bowler. Graham Napier? Very good T20 bowler, but won't last too long. Nathan McCullum? May make teams as a spinner, but hasn't been in contention. Graeme Swann? Experienced international, but not quite as impressive.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
All i can say is, its pretty darn sad........i was so hopeful for Pak players to participate.

I don't think Visa or availability was the issue as the Indian high commission in Islamabad said it himself that there is no reason to deny visas and i think a couple of players had the visa, it is a sentimental thing and i personally can understand why Indian Franchises did what they did.....

Pak to win T20 WC 2010!!!!!

Jungle Jumbo

Can you name a better player? Luke Wright, perhaps? Better batsman, but inadequate bowler. Graham Napier? Very good T20 bowler, but won't last too long. Nathan McCullum? May make teams as a spinner, but hasn't been in contention. Graeme Swann? Experienced international, but not quite as impressive.
I'll name Wright and Napier then, far, far better players. Henderson's reputation is significantly exaggerated by his performance on Finals Day in 2008. Last year, Sky built him up before a couple of games, and IIRC he was duly smashed and was exposed for the lack of any real class with the bat he has.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
The younger Harmeet did well in his two games for Mumbai and is currently in the U19 World Cup; could be a good long term prospect if he is getting into the Mumbai team at 17, but we'll see how he adapts to the longer form of the game.

The older Harmeet is a handy bowler, I look forward to watching him bowl in the next IPL, I think he can improve on his statistics with experience. Seems to run in hard, got a good action and good seam position; if he can put on some pace and get up to a speed of 130kph, he could grow to take the new ball for Deccan too.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Probably been covered, but I can't fathom why what a player can earn is being capped and anything extra going to the IPL. Horrible stuff.
Yea, it's quite weird to be honest. The money - most of it, if not all - should go to the player surely. The fact that it's secret between Modi and the winning franchises is also very iffy - it should either be made public, or at least the other franchises should know so they know there hasn't been any foul play. Very odd system. I am surprised they agreed to it.

NO BIDS FOR HUGHES THE GUY AVERAGES 50 IN 20/20 whatttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
What's his availability? That's the only reason I can think of. I know the franchises don't want players that won't be available for most of the season now - which I think will put a lot of pressure on the boards not to schedule any matches during the IPL.

R_D

International Debutant
Yea, it's quite weird to be honest. The money - most of it, if not all - should go to the player surely. The fact that it's secret between Modi and the winning franchises is also very iffy - it should either be made public, or at least the other franchises should know so they know there hasn't been any foul play. Very odd system. I am surprised they agreed to it.
Pretty sure other Franchises wouldn't have agreed with it..... Modi just makes rules as he goes along.

sasnoz

Banned
im glad bond couldnt earn anymore money he turned his back at taking on the aussies and giving us our chance to win a test vs them for the first time in twenty years

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Pretty sure other Franchises wouldn't have agreed with it..... Modi just makes rules as he goes along.
Nah, the franchises are the stakeholders, and they do have considerable influence. In the end, it's them making or losing money too, so Modi would not have done it without consultation.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Wonder how many games Atul Sharma'll play this year.......:ph34r:

Interesting to see Michael Lumb get snapped up by RR. Warnie getting more of his mates into the Royals squad. Did have a good season last season though tbf, not that he'll get a game in the IPL.

AaronK

State Regular
All i can say is, its pretty darn sad........i was so hopeful for Pak players to participate.

I don't think Visa or availability was the issue as the Indian high commission in Islamabad said it himself that there is no reason to deny visas and i think a couple of players had the visa, it is a sentimental thing and i personally can understand why Indian Franchises did what they did.....

i can't understand..

Afridi has been performing constantly in 20/20.. he made 50s and took wickets.. hell single handedly won pakistan the world cup..

Same with Gul, Aamir and Akmal Jr... This Aamir kid is better than any fast bowler that india has ever produced.. we are not talking about Asif, Razzaq and tanvir here..

Racism and anti pakistani sentiments have to be a reason for this.. I honestly can't see any other reason..
well.. I never watched IPL before and i wanted to watch it because of afridi this year.. but screw it..I don't want to support racism..

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
i can't understand..

Afridi has been performing constantly in 20/20.. he made 50s and took wickets.. hell single handedly won pakistan the world cup..

Same with Gul, Aamir and Akmal Jr... This Aamir kid is better than any fast bowler that india has ever produced.. we are not talking about Asif, Razzaq and tanvir here..

Racism and anti pakistani sentiments have to be a reason for this.. I honestly can't see any other reason..
well.. I never watched IPL before and i wanted to watch it because of afridi this year.. but screw it..I don't want to support racism..
Sounds like Sour Grapes to me

Why dont you understand the simple fact that the corporates do not want to invest their money into the assets that have a huge amount of uncertainty over their participation into the tournament.

And to understand who created this uncertainty you have to take a look at my signature.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member

It is not a sentimental thing, it is a business decision. Would you invest you money in a high risk asset with very little to gain.

AaronK

State Regular
Sounds like Sour Grapes to me

Why dont you understand the simple fact that the corporates do not want to invest their money into the assets that have a huge amount of uncertainty over their participation into the tournament.

And to understand who created this uncertainty you have to take a look at my signature.
off course I am pissed.. I am not pakistani don't get me wrong here..but what is fair and truth must be said..

same ****.. going back to politics.. mixing sport with politics..great..I guess it will take ages for some people to get educated.. or i should say centuries..

Faisal1985

It is not a sentimental thing, it is a business decision. Would you invest you money in a high risk asset with very little to gain.
Bro, at least 3 of the 11 Pak players had Indian visas as per the preconditions set by IPL and Modi, and Indian High commission clearly stated that their was no issue with issuing visas to the rest of Pak players. Gov. cleared them, PCB cleared them, and they had the clearance for visas. Otherwise IPL would have never put them up for auction.

Its a sad reality that they will not participate.

Please at least accept the fact that Pak players are one of the best out their right now. They are playing for other leagues around the world. It could never be a bad investment to have Afridi play for 250k when you have sorry players like Kaif and Martyn selling for more.....

The only reason they were not picked is because of their nationality.....lets accept this fact and i totally understand why...

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Pollard goes for $ 2.75 million ...WTF???:-O
Haha, yes. NDTV reporting this.

That's insane. If I were Pollard, I'd be suing Modi for an additional $2m. It's ridiculous that he receives only $750,000 for his work when the franchise paid $2.75m. If the IPL needs to cover operating costs, it should be deducted equally among the franchises, it's weird for Mumbai Indians to pay $2m directly to the IPL....for what exactly?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
You know, if the sums are getting this large already - I wonder what'll happen next year when it's going to be free for all for everyone involved?

Could we see the first $5m player? $5m for two months of work....that's not bad. That'd be like $500,000 per game, and $125,000 per over for a bowler...$20,000 per ball. :p

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Are you sure its going to be a free for all next season? Might as well hand over the title to the Mumbai Indians in that case.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well, it was for the first season except there was a cap. Modi had mentioned that the cap would be removed in subsequent full actions.

I think Mallaya might be the one breaking the bank. Mumbai Indians may run it as a business and may not overextend themselves. Mallaya treats the Challengers like many owners treat their franchises in the EPL: an expensive toy. Profit is secondary to being the best, and more importantly, everyone telling him he is the best.