• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** India v Pakistan

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
vvk said:
IMO - Kaif and Yuvraj need to be axed - both are non performing fielders in this Indian team.

Laxman needs to be brought back to fill one of the batting slots vacated. All rounders such as Jai P Yadav, Ramesh Powar need to be brought in the side and Ganguly needs to be re-instated as captain. These last two performances have shown the consequences of having a rudder-less side.
Funny how quickly things change. :D

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Its amazing how much we talk about the batting and the changes to be made there. All that maybe okay but the fact of the matter is that India has a major problem in its bowling attack and we have been banking on the Zaher's, the Nehra's, the Agarkar's and lately Balaji and Irfan and these boys have not delivered.

The bowlers, particularly the medium pacers, OVERALL performance in ODI's has been pathetic for far too long for us to keep looking at batsmen as the only ones who need to win us matches.

We also need to look at our strategies again.

For so long we have been looking at a seven batsman side making Dravid keep wickets because we are convinced that the presence of a seventh batsman will help us win matches.

This is a falacy. Yes I know of a couple of matches or so (every one goes gaga over our Natwest victory as if it will happen everyday) have been won due to seven batsmen but look at our overall record and it is terrible and we do not have the bowlers to defend any score. How many matches have the batsmen won for us because there are seven of them.

We need to look at new faces, sure, but more of them in the bowling department and if it means bringing in untried "all rounders" we may have left ourselves no choice bvut to take this risk now then closer to the next world cup.

shoot_me

School Boy/Girl Captain
Excellent cricket from Pakistan! To win four consecutive matches after being 2-0 is an amazing feat. With akthar not playing, many were quick to predict a one-sided win for the indians but they shut everyone up. Even though Pakistan lacked the hyped-up superstars that India possess, they had spirited men who were willing to play their hearts out. Rana Naveed, in particular, has done a great job and for a pace bowler to become man of the series in India is unbelievable. As a supporter of India, this is very disappointing but our opposition deserves a lot of praise for the way they played.

astute

School Boy/Girl Captain
^yeah

but still we miss akhtar
he is asuper star 4 pakistan
we luv him
and pray for him to be in da indies match
ameen

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Did any one predict the two outcomes in the beginning of the thread Tests draw 1-1 and/or one day series Pakistan 4-2?

shoot_me

School Boy/Girl Captain
SJS said:
Its amazing how much we talk about the batting and the changes to be made there. All that maybe okay but the fact of the matter is that India has a major problem in its bowling attack and we have been banking on the Zaher's, the Nehra's, the Agarkar's and lately Balaji and Irfan and these boys have not delivered.

The bowlers, particularly the medium pacers, OVERALL performance in ODI's has been pathetic for far too long for us to keep looking at batsmen as the only ones who need to win us matches.

For so long we have been looking at a seven batsman side making Dravid keep wickets because we are convinced that the presence of a seventh batsman will help us win matches.

This is a falacy. Yes I know of a couple of matches or so (every one goes gaga over our Natwest victory as if it will happen everyday) have been won due to seven batsmen but look at our overall record and it is terrible and we do not have the bowlers to defend any score. How many matches have the batsmen won for us because there are seven of them.

We need to look at new faces, sure, but more of them in the bowling department and if it means bringing in untried "all rounders" we may have left ourselves no choice bvut to take this risk now then closer to the next world cup.
You've nailed it.

deeps

International 12th Man
Pratyush said:
Did any one predict the two outcomes in the beginning of the thread Tests draw 1-1 and/or one day series Pakistan 4-2?
i got the one dayers right, but i predicted 1-0 in the tests to india

i think it's time murali kartik becomes a regular in the team. He has done exceedingly well in the limited opportuniteis he has got, and he is a pretty gd batsman as well. I really think harbhajan has lost his potency in the one day game, and perhaps needs an extended break.

As i said before about the bowling... there should be 3 seamers, and they should be

Zaheer Khan
Ashish Nehra
Lakshmipathy Balaji

and when pathan decides to find his rythm again, it can be one of them as the reserve bowler.

1Sehwag
2Tendulkar
3Dravid (he belongs there, leave him there)
4Dhoni
5Kaif
6Yuvraj
7mongia
8Kartik
9Zaheer
10Balaji
11Nehra

All the Indian supporters are talkin about the lack of a quality all rounder. Well, there's some news for you. Sachin Tendulkar is a world class all rounder. Virendar Sehwag aint too bad either, as is mongia. That's all the bowling you will need!

The batting line up is strong, with solidity throughout. bowling, there is 2 left arm seamers, a right arm seamer, a left arm spinner........ plus the part time spin of tendulkar sehwag mongia and yuvraj. Plenty of variety and depth in that line up

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
deeps said:
i got theAll the Indian supporters are talkin about the lack of a quality all rounder. Well, there's some news for you. Sachin Tendulkar is a world class all rounder. Virendar Sehwag aint too bad either, as is mongia. That's all the bowling you will need!

Harsha Bhogle : It has long been my view that Tendulkar is the best classical leg spinner in India

(Commentating in a recent one dayer v/s Sri Lanka where he took a wicket.)

And India has lost the match versus Sri Lanka this time!

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The Indian selectors are a very conservative lot who believe in the tonga as the ultimate form of transport- becuase "there's nothing wrong with it"- even when outraced by some young tyke on a Kawasaki Ninja. They seem to want 17 specific players in this side a little too much and make excuses of lack of backup. Kiran More and company, are you proud of yourselves?

The BCCI needs to act tough. All five selectors should be dismissed and if possible, replaced by journalists. It may seem a freak idea, but at least the journos do one thing the selectors don't. They take domestic cricket seriously.

The selectors don't bother watching the top-level domestic matches, even when some international players participate. When there is an international match, they never turn up for a Ranji or Duleep tie. They don't even send representatives to watch the matches.

But newspapers do. They watch the match with great interest. They don't just read the figures, they also watch the action. All of this helps them write detailed articles which mention a whole lot of aspects which statistical analysis hides.

The Indian team is hurt by the lack of a genuine all-rounder for several years, since the retirement or decline of Manoj Prabhakar, Sunil Joshi and Robin Singh. Yet, when asked, they come up with that silly excuse- "there is no genuine all-rounder in India". Get out of that castle and come to the ground. Meet your journo counterparts. They know better. The Times of India's reporters rate some of them very highly, and consider them as national squad contenders. They have been doing their job for years, and know what they're talking about. They have seen these players- but the selectors have not. The same can also be said about the issue of pace bowlers, whom journos have spotted- because they were there.

The selectors have done neither the national squad nor the players in the domestic game any good by ignoring the developments in the domestic scene. Many players are in the national side just to have fun and are taking thinks way too lightly, yet they stay. Then there are more than a few in domestic cricket who are hardworking, intelligent, talented and most importantly, consistently performing, but don't get a mention. Then fans wonder why the Indians can't win tournaments. Is it difficult to guess why? Far too much emphasis is laid on contracts and too little on cricket.

JustTool

State 12th Man
Neil Pickup said:
I'd love to see how you'd like blanket abuse against your country of origin.

Not acceptable, watch your step.
OK. Now you've really scared me. BTW, I was only joking. You know, as in a 'ense of humor' and all. :blink:

JustTool

State 12th Man
SJS said:

Yes, yes and yes. Sanjay Manjrekar just wrote an article essentially saying the "seniors' are indeed the 'problem' in Indian cricket.

We need wholesale changes in the one-day team. This has been a BAD one day team for years. Look, they are ahead only of Bangladesh, Zimbabwe and Kenya in the ICC table - how bad does it have to get before all the sycophants wake up and realise that Tendular & CO just have not been able to get the job done. Out with Tendulkar and let's start grooming future Sehwags. :@

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
JustTool said:
Out with Tendulkar and let's start grooming future Sehwags. :@
If you think India has 5 'Sehwags' hidden in the domestic teams some where, well.

India has been playing test cricket since 1932 and Sehwag has been unique.

Regarding out with Tendulkar, I can just be decent enough to say SHUT UP.

PAKMAN

State 12th Man
Pratyush said:
yep that was me :D got the odi'z right and i think i said 1-1 for the tests