• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* - India in West Indies

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
GS how about bringing back your old avatar. This one is terrible and even after so many days I haven't gotten used to it
I lost it to GIMH. Still got another six months to serve as well.

He's letting me have it back during the England/India test series though so I'll be coming up with something creative

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
It's been the story of the West Indies for so long- when one gap gets filled, another two gaps open up. Thinking of what their lineup would look like if everyone was fit, in form and on good terms with the board at the same time is actually quite depressing.
It's just so bizarre that their two best batsmen have suddenly become pathetic when the bowlers get their act together and set up quite chaseable targets

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't think it's that complex, tbh. They present like a collection of the best 11 players in the region, not a team.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Don't think it's that complex, tbh. They present like a collection of the best 11 players in the region, not a team.
The explains the divide that often exists between players and administration, but I still find it frustrating that Sarwan and Chanderpaul are on the decline just as the bowlers step up

But you're right that parochialism is well and alive when it comes to West Indies cricket. I sometimes check out the West Indies cricket forums and the regional divide between their fans is quite extraordinary.

Shifter

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Both Chanderpaul and Sarwan have been relatively poor for the last 2 years. Wouldn't call it a sudden change. Also don't know how highly one can rate the bowling when they've faced Pakistan and a largely second string Indian batting line up.

vcs

Bun

Banned

Top_Cat

Don't think it's an issue with too many quicks but specific bowlers and probably a lack of leadership from the top on the issue. The Aussies, for a long time the worst serial offenders for slow over-rates, haven't been in the sights of the match ref since Lee left the Test side. It's no coincidence.

smash84

The Tiger King

He's letting me have it back during the England/India test series though so I'll be coming up with something creative
The last one was pretty good actually............it seemed like that guy in the avatar was a professor and was giving a lecture

Spark

Global Moderator
Don't think it's an issue with too many quicks but specific bowlers and probably a lack of leadership from the top on the issue. The Aussies, for a long time the worst serial offenders for slow over-rates, haven't been in the sights of the match ref since Lee left the Test side. It's no coincidence.
And then suddenly when he came back into the ODI team it became an issue again. Wonder why, eh?

shivfan

Banned
The explains the divide that often exists between players and administration, but I still find it frustrating that Sarwan and Chanderpaul are on the decline just as the bowlers step up

But you're right that parochialism is well and alive when it comes to West Indies cricket. I sometimes check out the West Indies cricket forums and the regional divide between their fans is quite extraordinary.
I suppose it is inevitable, when you consider that most of the territories have been independent nations since the 1960s. They know more about Miami than they do about their neighbouring islands....

Sarwan has been unsurprisingly dropped from the squad for the final Test, and Leewards opener Kieran Powell called in. However, I expect kirk Edwards to make his debut, since Powell hasn't been playing any cricket, since the domestic season finished some time ago.

Uppercut

And then suddenly when he came back into the ODI team it became an issue again. Wonder why, eh?
Over rates are such a non-issue though. If I'm given the choice I'll definitely watch the team with Lee in it over the one that bowls their overs on time.

shivfan

Banned
Over rates are such a non-issue though. If I'm given the choice I'll definitely watch the team with Lee in it over the one that bowls their overs on time.
Exactly....

This stupid over-rate rule was brought into place to try and counter the dominance of the Windies side in the 1980s, and force sides with pace bowlers to use spinners. If the ICC was really concerned about getting in enough overs, they would've devised a formula that pertains to how long it takes a spinner to bowl, and how long it takes a pacer to bowl.

You don't expect a 1500m runner to complete his race in the same time that Usain Bolt runs the 100m....

Top_Cat

Yeah but it has limits. 60 overs in a day, no matter how good the players, is painful to watch.

Borges

International Regular
This stupid over-rate rule was brought into place to try and counter the dominance of the Windies side in the 1980s, and force sides with pace bowlers to use spinners.
The over-rate rule is certainly not stupid except by the cricket web definition of stupidity - which is: anyone who disagrees with me is stupid.

But, yes, it was brought in because the cricketing powers at that time had no other way to counter the absolute domination by WI.

If the ICC was really concerned about getting in enough overs, they would've devised a formula that pertains to how long it takes a spinner to bowl, and how long it takes a pacer to bowl.
If they actually did that, the over-rate requirement would go up, not down. While two pace bowlers can easily bowl sixteen overs an hour, two spinners operating can bowl twenty or more without breaking sweat.

Last edited:

Dissector

International Debutant
I certainly hope so. However I have a feeling that Dhoni "sees something" in Kohli and will give him another shot.

vcs

Can we drop Vijay and ask Dravid to open? Wish it didn't have to be that way, but it's effectively what he's doing anyway.