• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in Sri Lanka 2010 - Tests

Sir Alex

Banned
Thought Laxman's innings was better than Sehwag's but would've given Sehwag MOTM anyway because of his bowling effort.
Wouldn't disagree with that. But Laxman's innings just about edges the combined effort. Had Sehwag made a 50, it would've definintely gone to him.

chicane

State Captain
Was such a good game! Massive swings of fortune. Happy we managed to draw with the team we fielded.

Think some of the Lankan top order threw it away in the 2nd innings, might have been even more tense otherwise. I think the dropped catches and umpiring decisions evened out though.

Errr because he was the man of the match? It's not Under 12s; it shouldn't be about sharing it around!
A hundred and a duck vs a half century and a fourth innings unbeaten ton?Would comfortably go for the latter.Sehwag picked up 4 wickets,true,but the target was still a tricky one...seemed to be a match-winning target at one point actually.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Great win. We should have won it much more easily though. Lots of wasted opportunities.

Mishra's bowling has been a big negative too.
Don't think so. If we held on to our catches with our usual standard, this would have been over in the 4th day

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On the whole I thought Sri Lanka are a much better catching side than India... Jayawardene snaps up everything in the slips and I remember Raina putting down Sangakkara early on day 1. SL lost this match in the first session of day 4 when they lost too many wickets including Sanga to a long hop and Mathews hitting a full-toss straight to a fielder.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, but the standards were clearly lacking in the 3rd. First two tests the catches SL missed were hard ones. But in the 3rd, they were sitters.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Awesome win.. Laxman, take a bow.. There was a period of about 20 overs before lunch when Laxman was the Lara to Sachin's Adams.. That is how awesome he was.. :)

Gotta say though, as great as this knock was (as was Sachin's and Raina's, to an extent), the mind bogglingly defensive mindset of Sangakkara and his knack of trying things for the sake of trying meant this was among the easier 4th innings knocks these guys could expect to play. On a track clearly offering something to bowlers, it was just so easy for them to hit the ball in the air near a silly point or a backward short leg or gully or wherever and run the single.. Really, there is a reason I felt SL will not be a great side with this mindset, inspite of having some great players. If you can't bowl out 7 batsmen (only 2 established ones) with your premier spinners on a day 5 track, well........

LOVED the reaction of Dravid and Sachin after the winning runs were hit as well... Shows how much this means to them, the oldest guys in the squad. Augurs well for the Australia tests, for me. :)

vcs

awesome win.. Laxman, take a bow.. There was a period of about 20 overs before lunch when laxman was the lara to sachin's adams.. That is how awesome he was.. :)

gotta say though, as great as this knock was (as was sachin's and raina's, to an extent), the mind bogglingly defensive mindset of sangakkara and his knack of trying things for the sake of trying meant this was among the easier 4th innings knocks these guys could expect to play. On a track clearly offering something to bowlers, it was just so easy for them to hit the ball in the air near a silly point or a backward short leg or gully or wherever and run the single.. really, there is a reason i felt sl will not be a great side with this mindset, inspite of having some great players. If you can't bowl out 7 batsmen (only 2 established ones) with your premier spinners on a day 5 track, well........

Loved the reaction of dravid and sachin after the winning runs were hit as well... Shows how much this means to them, the oldest guys in the squad. Augurs well for the australia tests, for me. :)
awta.

Dhoni was equally defensive.It will not be mentioned because India've won but had they lost - and it looked certain at one point that they would -then questions would have been asked.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Dhoni was equally defensive.It will not be mentioned because India've won but had they lost - and it looked certain at one point that they would -then questions would have been asked.
He had BY FAR the worse bowling attack though.. Not that it gets him off but at least it is something to consider.. Sanga HAD to go for the kill.. He could have won 2-0... Was he thinking this would end a draw, really?

He had BY FAR the worse bowling attack though.. Not that it gets him off but at least it is something to consider.. Sanga HAD to go for the kill.. He could have won 2-0... Was he thinking this would end a draw, really?
True,Ind def. had the worse bowling attack by a long way and that's saying a lot consdering the SL bowlers aside from Malinga had what,20 odd tests between them? :laugh:

Sanga was def too defensive.I reckon he took it for granted that the pitch would do the job sooner or later.Never rated him as captain,tbh.He will be severely tested even at home w/o Murali.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Think we need to cut Sanga some slack as he and his team adjust to life without Murali. We saw Ponting going through the same thing - when the entire time that you've been captain, you've had the option of throwing the ball to McGrath and Warne, or to Murali, and then that stops being the case, it's going to take you a while to adjust.

SL and Sanga will find it hard, like Australia did when our champion bowlers retired, but, like us, they'll also adjust and move on.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Errr because he was the man of the match? It's not Under 12s; it shouldn't be about sharing it around!

See my second sentence.
Yea, a century plus 4/59 is a very decent effort. Definitely should have been Sehwag. Bowling gets shafted again from these awards.

Himannv

International Coach
Sanga is a lousy captain. No complaints about his batting but some of his captaincy decisions were ridiculous. Embarassingly poor. Mahela was so much better.

As for the fielding, some very very vital catches were dropped at key junctures in the game. Considering that we're generally good in the field, I think its poor by our standards.

vcs

Last edited: