• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in Sri Lanka 2010 - Tests

Sir Alex

Banned
He hasn't really said anything wrong there or anything worthy of being called mind-games TBH.

Obviously, it's a drawn series but it probably feels like a loss for him.. I know, because we were in the same position against Pakistan and England in 2005 and 2006.
If it feels like a loss, then he should have tried to avoid it in the field, rather than trying to prove a point in front of mics. Sportsmen need to prove themselves in the field.

Not the first time again.

So basically he is implying India escaped with a draw here? Lol. Ungracious in losing the test and not giving the credit to opposition.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not really, it's not unfair of him to state that he felt Sri Lanka had the better of the series, though I don't think there were that many missed opportunities in the field on SL's part besides Prasanna Jayawardene's drop of Sachin in the 2nd Test. Dilshan's chance today was pretty tough.

Sir Alex

Banned
Not really, it's not unfair of him to state that he felt Sri Lanka had the better of the series, though I don't think there were that many missed opportunities in the field on SL's part besides Prasanna Jayawardene's drop of Sachin in the 2nd Test. Dilshan's chance today was pretty tough.
One can argue, if Pakistan took their catches they would've won the Sydney test last year.

But at the end of it, did anyone think Pakistan was the better team?

vcs

No, and rightly so, because fielding and catching is part of what makes a good side. But he is within his rights to comment that his side created enough opportunities to win the Test, though I don't necessarily agree with that.

vcs

VVS is so sublime at working those singles against the spin even when the track starts turning.. is there anyone around with better hands than him?

It still bugs me so much that India took Dinesh Mongia to the 2003 WC when we could have taken VVS. I know it's unlikely that he would have made much difference to the games we lost but it's such a shame that a player of his caliber has never played in a World Cup.

Sir Alex

Banned
Don't think his legacy would be any less grand because he didn't get to play in a one Day tournament. His calling was always the whites, and a damn good job he's done there.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
No, it isn't. Trolling is posting specifically for a negative reaction, especially when the opinion you're expressing isn't genuine. If what taipan was doing was considered trolling you'd have been banned long ago. :p
It'd depend entirely on why they were posting it. We're not the opinion police here. If someone legitimately believed that it'd be fine.
Because we felt you were doing it on purpose to get a reaction out of the English posters.
It is quite clear that there is one guy in this thread who is consistently trying to bait India Supporters yet you chose to ignore that and focus Sir Alex because of his past. And this is not the first time you have done that. Clearly as a moderator you are not doing a good job of moderating the conversation, infact your action is encouraging the consistently baiting of Indian members that is going on in this thread.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Really very good win by India and my MoM is Sehwag. Laxman was superb once again when India really needed him. What a great team performance, IMO one of the better wins for India considering how poor the bowling attack was.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Errr because he was the man of the match? It's not Under 12s; it shouldn't be about sharing it around!

See my second sentence.
BAHAHAHA, so true, as good as Laxman was, Sehwag probably did more to affect the result in the end

Think we need to cut Sanga some slack as he and his team adjust to life without Murali. We saw Ponting going through the same thing - when the entire time that you've been captain, you've had the option of throwing the ball to McGrath and Warne, or to Murali, and then that stops being the case, it's going to take you a while to adjust.

SL and Sanga will find it hard, like Australia did when our champion bowlers retired, but, like us, they'll also adjust and move on.
Dhoni surely needs to be cut some slack as well. India are surely starting to feel the impact of Kumble's retirement now.

He lost his first choice new ball attack before the series started and lost Harbhajan for the decisive third test.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
No captain deserves to be cut some slack if they put everyone out on the boundary immediately simply because a tailender is now in alongside the top order batsman, and they want to just try and get the tailender out.

It's poor captaincy, whether you're missing your top bowlers or not.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
No captain deserves to be cut some slack if they put everyone out on the boundary immediately simply because a tailender is now in alongside the top order batsman, and they want to just try and get the tailender out.

It's poor captaincy, whether you're missing your top bowlers or not.
That's one of my pet hates, see Australia Versus Pakistan in Sydney in 2010, Mohammed Yousuf is an idiot, and that theory is a cancer

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yep. and seeing 4 men in the deep for Laxman, esp. a long off was ASTOUNDING for me.. He never goes down the track to spinners anymore and he never hit them over mid off even on his best days...

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Dhoni surely needs to be cut some slack as well. India are surely starting to feel the impact of Kumble's retirement now.

He lost his first choice new ball attack before the series started and lost Harbhajan for the decisive third test.
I am not sure if its the impact of Kumble so much.

More like the impact of Zaheer and Sreesanth not being their and the unbelievable woefulness of Ishant and Mithun

Rant0r

International 12th Man
What exactly has gone on with Ishant since he burst onto the scene in Australia ? Is he jsut now still being picked on that potential and reputation ?

vcs

yep. and seeing 4 men in the deep for Laxman, esp. a long off was ASTOUNDING for me.. He never goes down the track to spinners anymore and he never hit them over mid off even on his best days...
TBF, he doesn't need to dance down the track to collect boundaries down the ground with those wrists of his, I remember he hit one from the crease against Randiv early on. I agree Sanga's willingness to allow Sachin and Laxman take singles at will was inexplicable though.