• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in Sri Lanka 2010 - Tests

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not really, the other teams keep losing/not winning as well.
If India lose to SL minus Murali for 2 tests, would anyone really consider them to be no. 1?

I know it all comes down to calcs but that would be farcical and demean the whole ranking system

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Oh I agree with that, but surely Australia not beating Pakistan (if that happens) and South Africa not winning enough series means that it's meaningless anyway.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
If India lose to SL minus Murali for 2 tests, would anyone really consider them to be no. 1?

I know it all comes down to calcs but that would be farcical and demean the whole ranking system
Nah, it's not like India have their first choice bowling attack playing too.

social

Oh I agree with that, but surely Australia not beating Pakistan (if that happens) and South Africa not winning enough series means that it's meaningless anyway.
Passionate fans like ourselves will see it as an anomoly

The world at large will simply listen to the marketing and asume that India is undisputed no. 1

Anyway, I predict they'll beat SL in the remaining tests as, without Murali, the home side's attack is not great so it may not come to that

Jarquis

Small problem with that being that India's attack is far from great as well. Runs allround.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year

The world at large will simply listen to the marketing and asume that India is undisputed no. 1

Anyway, I predict they'll beat SL in the remaining tests as, without Murali, the home side's attack is not great so it may not come to that
A fit Harbhajan will make a difference too. Would really like to see India outside the subcontinent - I know Ishant and Mithun aren't massively special, but I'd like to see what they can do when the pitches have some juice in them. Heck, Irfan Pathan was made to look like a world beater in Australia - what else can happen abroad.

Speaking of Pathan, he recently turned down a Baroda Association tour to work on his strength and fitness - something he has been saying a lot that he has been working on. This and the combination of promising swing in the IPL and a brilliant Ranji season (would be regarded as just stupidly good if it occured in England or Australia, with both bat and ball) has promising signs for Pathan. It would be superb to get him in the Test side, especially if we do not find any stand out bowlers. I hope Pathan has seen Amir and Johnson's use of the genuine quick off cutter delivery in Test matches too, as he uses it often in ODIs but rarely in Tests.

Australia couldn't put away a team ranked in the bottom tier, SA couldn't beat England at home and only beat a third rate WI side so far. They've been struggling as well.Not saying India are undisputed number 1 but they certainly have a good case.

As for whining about how Sri Lanka aren't going to have a player who has retired for the remaining two tests - you deliberately ignore that India had a half fit Harbhajan and their two premier pacers injured?Not to mention Australia struggling to put away a Pakistani side that has no Yousuf/Younis.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Doesn't care much about Test cricket I'm afraid. :p

Cruxdude

International Debutant
A fit Harbhajan will make a difference too. Would really like to see India outside the subcontinent - I know Ishant and Mithun aren't massively special, but I'd like to see what they can do when the pitches have some juice in them. Heck, Irfan Pathan was made to look like a world beater in Australia - what else can happen abroad.

Speaking of Pathan, he recently turned down a Baroda Association tour to work on his strength and fitness - something he has been saying a lot that he has been working on. This and the combination of promising swing in the IPL and a brilliant Ranji season (would be regarded as just stupidly good if it occured in England or Australia, with both bat and ball) has promising signs for Pathan. It would be superb to get him in the Test side, especially if we do not find any stand out bowlers. I hope Pathan has seen Amir and Johnson's use of the genuine quick off cutter delivery in Test matches too, as he uses it often in ODIs but rarely in Tests.
The last I saw of Pathan he had lost all his swing and was bowling cutters with the keeper up to the stumps at 125 kmph. If he can amp us the speed to 130+ and get his swing back he would be good. But I am not hopeful.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
The last I saw of Pathan he had lost all his swing and was bowling cutters with the keeper up to the stumps at 125 kmph. If he can amp us the speed to 130+ and get his swing back he would be good. But I am not hopeful.
125? Gary Kirsten recently replied to a question on Pathan's chances off a comeback, saying (and I quote) that he didn't need a bowler bowling at 113 kmph and blocking one end. :laugh:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
In the IPL, he wasn't fully fit, I'm sure of that. He was swinging the ball though and that is promising. Having the keeper up did him no favours, as having the batsman stay in their crease rather than come forward is a disaster for him. Speed is not important for Pathan, look at the speeds here, it is about whether he can swing the ball. He is working on his strength atm, and I'm sure that'll get him up to 130kph, but as Asif showed, pace is often overrated.

125? Gary Kirsten recently replied to a question on Pathan's chances off a comeback, saying (and I quote) that he didn't need a bowler bowling at 113 kmph and blocking one end. :laugh:
I'm sure he wasn't talking directly about Pathan here, more just the idea of the sort of medium pace all rounder that India do not need.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
In Srilanka the team's batting first both in tests and in ODI'S(specially day and night matches) have a huge advantage.

Too big a advantage for me dependent on the toss.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Actually I thought conditions were tough to bat on early on in Galle. Unfortunately we had an Ishant in terrible form and a debutant at the other end.

Lostman

State Captain
In Srilanka the team's batting first both in tests and in ODI'S(specially day and night matches) have a huge advantage.

Too big a advantage for me dependent on the toss.
In ODI's, yes. But definitely not in Tests.
With the conditions at Galle on the 1st morning it was 50/50 call on batting or bowling. India's bowling attack probably decided it for Sanga.

kingkallis

International Coach
Forget about Irfan. He has lost all the hopes and the guy is struggling. He badly needs some help and playing in English county for full 1-2 seasons certainly will help - he is just25-26...