• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in South Africa

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I agree with GingerFurball that Kallis' home record compared to his contemporary teammates is more impressive than Sachin and Ponting's home records compared to their contemporary teammates.

But Ponting and Sachin's record in South Africa is arguably more impressive than Kallis', because they have consistently faced a higher standard of bowling in South Africa than Kallis.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I agree with GingerFurball that Kallis' home record compared to his contemporary teammates is more impressive than Sachin and Ponting's home records compared to their contemporary teammates.

But Ponting and Sachin's record in South Africa is arguably more impressive than Kallis', because they have consistently faced a higher standard of bowling in South Africa than Kallis.
But Joni, the point is, it is as much a function of how good/not good your team mates were than it is of the brilliance of the said batsman alone... It's all relative to how good the other batsmen were in your side, which is NOT something that should decide a player V player comparison when the players are from different sides...

Bun

Banned

Yes I agree with this completely.

I love Kallis but his record in SA is skewed considerably by batting really well against weaker attacks like Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, West Indies (post 2000), New Zealand, India etc.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yes I agree with this completely.

I love Kallis but his record in SA is skewed considerably by batting really well against weaker attacks like Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, West Indies (post 2000), New Zealand, India etc.
Somehow minnow records need not be removed in these instances.. :ph34r:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Just realised Ponting never played in SA before 2002, and hence against Donald in SA.

Was he injured when Australia toured SA prior to 2002? Weird.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Pitches in South Africa are far more conducive to swing and seam than India and Australia (more recently) as well

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ponting faced some popgun attacks on the 2001-02 tour to SA TBF (Donald was past it in that series IIRC). But he has done well against full-strength SA attacks at home, so it's not a big criticism.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Just realised Ponting never played in SA before 2002, and hence against Donald in SA.

Was he injured when Australia toured SA prior to 2002? Weird.
I don't think Ponting was in favour at the time of their previous tour to South Africa in 1996/97 (I think). If I remember correctly he won a recall during the 1997 Ashes tour.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Steve Waugh's record in SA is the best out of all visiting batsmen since readmission, taking attack strengths etc. into consideration.

Thom Yorke

Cricket Spectator
Swap the bowlers of the two teams and u will have this:

Smith < Sehwag
Peterson < Gambir
Amla < Dravid
Kallis < Sachin
De Villiers < Laxman
Prince > Raina

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Look forward to a strong comeback from India in the next test tbh. Zaheer is ready for Durban so...game on ppl.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
****!!!!

Cricket South Africa’s (CSA's) appeal to Minister of Home Affairs Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma for Pakistani born leg-spinner Imran Tahir to be granted permanent residence status, which would make him eligible to play for the Proteas, has hit a snag.

Home Affairs spokesperson Ronnie Mamoepa told The New Age that Tahir did not qualify for permanent residence. This has dashed the CSA’s hopes of picking the player for the national team in the near future.

Mamoepa said in a letter, “According to our records, Mr Tahir applied for permanent residence in South Africa on the basis of ‘scarce skills’. According to regulations from the Department of Trade and Industry, sporting codes do not qualify as scarce skills.

“As for his marriage to a South African citizen, the South African Immigration Act of 2002 legislates that permanent residence can be granted to a foreign national who has been the spouse of a South African citizen for a period of five years or longer.

“Since Mr Tahir does not comply with this requirement, permanent residence could not be granted.” Mamoepa has advised the player to reapply once he has been married to his wife for at least five years.

Tahir married his South African wife, Sumayya Dildar, on January 27 2007, which means he still has almost two years to complete the required five years that would place him in consideration for permanent residence.
Pakistani spinner bowled by Home Affairs wrong?un | The New Age Online

****ing South African red tape.

Last edited: