• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa

Dravid

International Captain
Can't remember whose dismissal I was discussing there, was it Tendulkar's where it was going down leg?

In terms of the ones where no shot was offered, "for the most part" was mainly to cover for the fact that one was pretty close, and people might have argued it. I personally thought they were correct decisions until the one that was given.
Sachins decision was also a horrible one. Even on TV in real life you tell it was going down leg.

adharcric

International Coach
I don't know about that mate - look how hard it is to find even 10 top quality umpires.
That's more a reflection of the ICC's inability to sack poor umpires IMO. We were watching on TV at full pace and there were at least 15 noticeably pathetic decisions.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Asad Rauf answered that question in the affirmative at the end of yesterday's play.
Funnily enough, when I had a look at the ICC website for Test match conditions, there was nothing in there that said it was the umpires who have to do such a thing...

adharcric

International Coach
Funnily enough, when I had a look at the ICC website for Test match conditions, there was nothing in there that said it was the umpires who have to do such a thing...
I analyzed those as well and didn't find anything specific indicating that umpires are responsible or that the team is responsible. The general rule is that the umpires are responsible for allowing batsmen back on the field at the appropriate time. You can make a logical extension from that but it really isn't set in stone in the rules. Really, the rules are vague but the umpires made the call and the right one IMO.

JustTool

State 12th Man
Drop Tendulkar

Finally, all the ex-players are saying: Drop Tendulkar ! NOW !!
one more article:

If mind has tendons then the Tendulkar-of-today has thousand ruptures on it. Shivaji Park’s Sachin would have danced down the wicket to Paul Harris and given the ball a mighty elevation. At Cape Town he elevated the bowler. Spare the Little Master the one-day series against West Indies and Sri Lanka. He needs to dig deep into his inner recesses and find some honest answers

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Tendulkar's been looking very average for a long time now, I think he should be dropped, but who would replace him?
Badrinath, I assume. Yuvraj Singh and Kaif are due for an extended run, though I don't think either is test class personally...we need to know one way or another.

Really we have three players who can all take out Tendulkar - Ganguly - Laxman, and replace one two or three of them. It might be time, if not now, then after England.

JustTool

State 12th Man
Finally, some one on the board has the courage to state the obvious. At this point even Dinesh Karthick would be a excellent replacement :laugh:

Tendulkar can make a few great shots under no pressure and against ordinary bowling.

India deserves better ! DROP TENDULKAR ! NOW !!

Tendulkar's been looking very average for a long time now, I think he should be dropped, but who would replace him?

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
I have nothing but praise for these South Africans. The way Smith captained the side under pressure, while constantly being criticized, is quite commendable in my eyes. Pollock is a complete asset to the team, his line and length and him able to keep his cool under pressure makes him an outstanding world-class bowler. And let's not forget his batting as well, which has been a pleasure to watch. Prince, on the other hand, is another asset to this South African side, who came big on almost each occasion. When others gave up, he responded. Overall this South African side really impressed me, they have great captain, a great bowling attack, and two world-class allrounders.

On the contrary, India looked spineless. Apart from the first Test match, in which they batted well, bowled superbly, and played with heart. Even though we registered are first win in South Africa, we were certainly capable of doing more had we done the basics right. Running between the wickets and the fielding all suggested the possibility of India being the one of the most unfit sides in world cricket today.

Many are saying to drop Tendulkar. As I have said many times on this thread, yes Tendulkar is well past his best, but we must understand the fact that he HAD been rubbish for the past year or so but in this series he has been decent. And as much as we argue the fact that decent isn’t good enough for Tendulkar, we must also not forget the fact that Tendulkar is coming straight from injury and has been one of the best batsmen in the team. He has been promising in this series, and because of that I say he deserves a chance in England to prove his worth. If he fails there, then his exclusion is justified. Also, let’s not forget the confidence he inserts into the team with his inclusion.

Overall, even though India lost, this series was delightful to watch.

For India, they can take a few positives from this tour…

- The emergence of Karthik and Sreesanth
- The revival of Zaheer and Ganguly

They certainly need to work towards the world cup now, which is in a few months time. They should look to work on the basics, such as running between the wicket, fitness, fielding. Also, there are a few selection problems that need to be sorted out.

For South Africa, they should look to prepare themselves for the series against Pakistan. One thing is for sure, it will be much more challenging than the one that has just finished.

Last edited:

JustTool

State 12th Man
That's the best you can come up with. Try harder - show how low you can sink ...please...give us a window into your small mind with more personal disparaging comments.

More quotes:

"It's been mistake-free, high-pressure stuff and we've worked hard for it. It's not like we turned up and expected our talent to win games. We prepared as well as we possibly could, worked hard and got our just rewards.

"I would say that our discipline was the key. We've done all the little things really well. Our running between the wickets was great, our fielding, generally, was sharp. Our bowling was terrific."

No - this is not Tendulkar. It is Ricky Ponting. Wake up guys - we lost on an 'Indian' pitch - a test we should have won. In both the last tests Tendulkar screwed up at crucial times.

DROP TENDULKAR ! NOW !!

Well, his name is an apt description.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
So the next thing is the England tour. I assume Simon Jones will be back by then, and they will field Panesar-Jones-Hoggard-Harmison-Flintoff?