• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2021-22

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Do we really know the damage he can do? He's been fantastic in the shorter formats, but hasn't really delivered in tests, and the question is whether he will or whether he's reached his ceiling and isn't going to be much more than a player who averages mid to high 30s.

I do find it interesting that it's other nationalities who are rating him higher than the South Africans here do. Maybe that's because we're aware of younger local players who we believe have a greater potential and we feel that he's standing in their way.
I think someone who's averaging mid to high 30s right now would be highly prized to be honest. Batting is tough at the moment.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Jansen will be handy in NZ. He is tall & manages to move the ball. Both Wellington & Hagley oval are perfect venues for him. SA has a decent shot at winning/drawing a series.
Nortje may not be too useful as he is rather hit the deck & fast but could be invaluable in case Kiwis roll out a flat deck.

Test Master

Cricket Spectator
Do we really know the damage he can do? He's been fantastic in the shorter formats, but hasn't really delivered in tests, and the question is whether he will or whether he's reached his ceiling and isn't going to be much more than a player who averages mid to high 30s.

I do find it interesting that it's other nationalities who are rating him higher than the South Africans here do. Maybe that's because we're aware of younger local players who we believe have a greater potential and we feel that he's standing in their way.
I may be mistaken but I think he's scored a few blistering 4 day centuries, may be mistaken. I think he's still finding his feet in the international test arena, and deserves a longer run. Unfortunately for him he was a late comer to the international stage. Similar to Faf in that respect. But I'm all for a better consistent player taking his place if he can't do the job going forward.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It might sound weird but I think India miss Jadeja in South Africa more than they would anywhere else even though he's not that suited to the conditions. It really helps to have four seamers here and playing no spinner at all when you have such a good one is silly, so having a spinner being able to bat in the top seven comfortably is extra useful for team balance.

I know Thakur's looked pretty good with the bat in Tests so far, but having someone who averages ~17 in FC cricket bat #7 in unfamiliar conditions shouldn't fill anyone with confidence.

Hardik would've been useful here but he seems to have been in a permanent state of "not injured anymore but not fully fit yet" for like 18 months.
Haha I forgot about this (pre-series) post until @StephenZA liked it. Gun in hindsight.

Kirkut

International Regular
With all the drama that happened yesterday with DRS I guess even if Elgar was given out to Ashwin, it wouldn't have made any difference to the current result.

Or heck even if Pujara took that catch today, Bavuma and Dussen would have taken SA home.

The batting from India has been disappointing and the bowlers looked pressured to bowl those wicket taking balls everytime.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Ngidi is puzzling. Looks absolutely world class when he pitches the ball up and gets that late movement away from the bat, but rather insipid when he hits back of a length consistently. In all said, really enjoy watching him bowl personally. Such a fluent, easy repeatable action he has

cricketsavant

U19 12th Man
Well they're evidently the better team in these conditions. Only Verreynne has looked out of his depth with the bat, but he's been decent with the gloves. Rassie and Markram haven't scored many runs, but atleast Rassie has occupied the crease (faced more balls than Che and Rahane). Bowling attack is good, despite Olivier. Pacers all know how to bowl here and have height to exploit. Their tail end batting is stronger than India, they've fielded and caught better than India. It's a decent side overall.
If this is what we're calling a decent side compared to India, then India is far from a goat team.

(I know you have never stated this, but it's for the benefit of all those over hyping this team on internet forums and Skysports comms etc)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
In games where 200 allout seems to be standard? Yup, think we can manage it. We basically did with Ashwin being surplus on the bowling front.
You are making the mistake of assuming we only have to bowl like 50 overs which is the absolute maximum our seamers can manage on the trot with literally no other part time support. And FYI, it was never that low.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It might sound weird but I think India miss Jadeja in South Africa more than they would anywhere else even though he's not that suited to the conditions. It really helps to have four seamers here and playing no spinner at all when you have such a good one is silly, so having a spinner being able to bat in the top seven comfortably is extra useful for team balance.

I know Thakur's looked pretty good with the bat in Tests so far, but having someone who averages ~17 in FC cricket bat #7 in unfamiliar conditions shouldn't fill anyone with confidence.

Hardik would've been useful here but he seems to have been in a permanent state of "not injured anymore but not fully fit yet" for like 18 months.
There is some truth to it but I'm skeptical how much better Jadeja would've been than ashwin with the bat here. He struggles a lot when balls are directed into his hip or bounce into the splice. If there's a series I'd give Jadeja pretty much zero shot at making a contribution with the bat, it might be this one where the bounce just killed everyone. Ashwin isn't a test number 7 at all but I think these are conditions that probably suit him more being the better back foot player by a distance. Jadeja might have helped stopped a collapse or been handy with pant yesterday but overall I don't see him making a big difference.

Rohit missing ended up being a pretty crippling blow.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
In honor of one of my bois Crawley's statements before the Sydney test, I now propose scoring a 100 with both innings scores put together as "doing a Crawley".

So happy Virat did a Crawley this test. @Daemon get this on the CW lists.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I wouldn't pick Ngidi over Jansen, Rabada and Nortje as our front line bowlers... I'd like an all rounder to step in,
Ngidi had a very good series. 3 wickets yesterday opened up the game and kept it tight throughout. Not sure the severity of Nortje's injury but if he is fit, it should be Rabada, Ngidi, Jansen, Maharaj and Mulder or Pretorius starting in New Zealand. Tough on Nortje but it is a good problem to have.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't help but be jealous of South Africa. Their cricket is in way more of a mess off the field than England and the current teams are fairly similar but you have so much more faith that they are just going to keep producing good cricketers.

Heboric

International Debutant
Can't help but be jealous of South Africa. Their cricket is in way more of a mess off the field than England and the current teams are fairly similar but you have so much more faith that they are just going to keep producing good cricketers.
Beginning to wonder if its just pure luck, especially with those clowns running CSA

Kirkut

International Regular
A wonderful series, and a wonderful advertisement for Test cricket. Lots will be said about India's loss and what it means to them and their legacy (which I don't think it tarnishes heavily - they're a superb cricket team), but there needs to be huge credit given to South Africa. To come from 1-0 down and then negotiate two potentially very tricky fourth innings chases so convincingly to win the series was fantastic. I hope they kick on from here - a resurgent South Africa can only be a good thing for the game.
Beautiful series, but I'd still say that Test Cricket will remain to be a niche sport with very small dedicated followers like here in cricketweb. Tests are like those artisan chocolates which do not always appeal the mainstream audience.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Beginning to wonder if its just pure luck, especially with those clowns running CSA
I think there are still enough competent guys involved in identifying and developing cricketers at grassroots that the talent will always be there. It's just the guys at the top who are making it difficult for the talent to make it all the way through.

Last edited: