• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2021-22

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah Fox's whole gimmick - besides apparently thinking that being a great player automatically makes you a great commentator - is proximity of access to the players, with spidercam, on-field interviews, stump mics turned up to 1000 etc
And yet they let Brendon Julian into the box.

I think my biggest issue is the interrelationship of stump mics being turned up for bantz and social media memes and increase of fines. Like Head saying c**t as funny as it was doesn't need to be heard necessarily, and he ends up fined for being frustrated in a manner that would only offend mums. Some privacy on a field that is completely exposed to a drunken public behind a fenceline isn't totally unreasonable.

subshakerz

International Coach
I'm so disappointed in India. Best opportunity in a long long time to beat RSA away. And let's be frank, on paper this RSA team is weak compared to the Oz team India recently conquered. Did India become a victim of their own hubris? Or did RSA play out of their skin? Either way, hope this is a wake up call for India to do something about their batting; it's been atrocious for a while. The bowling remains outstanding except for the slow bowling (spinners) outside Asia.
India failing to defend twice is less of a bowling failure. Sub-250 scores are always gettable. They lost the two tests because of their batting primarily.

In hindsight, we should have always given SA a chance since swing is this Indian team's kryptonite.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Dude, Graeme Smith literally said he asked the SS cameramen to follow the ball for tampering. I am not saying the cheating was ok but its obvious whom they play for. Come on.
Not Smith it was Fanie DeVillers... as one of the Afrikaans commentators. And it went from there.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I dont think the 5 bowler strategy is bad, per se, but the personnel has to be identified. It worked beautifully with Pandya to be honest. Of all the things to blame him for, this seems the silliest.
Pandya played what one series? Which we heavily lost.

I'm not blaming him for playing 5 bowlers. I'm blaming him for playing 5 bowlers regardless of conditions.

Spark

Global Moderator
And yet they let Brendon Julian into the box.

I think my biggest issue is the interrelationship of stump mics being turned up for bantz and social media memes and increase of fines. Like Head saying c**t as funny as it was doesn't need to be heard necessarily, and he ends up fined for being frustrated in a manner that would only offend mums.
Yeah I personally hate the stump mics being turned up so high and always have, it feels so awkward and like we're an intruder into a space that we're fundamentally not supposed to be a part of.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Pandya played what one series? Which we heavily lost.

I'm not blaming him for playing 5 bowlers. I'm blaming him for playing 5 bowlers regardless of conditions.
He played in England too and was the key to us winning our only test there. Yes, his stubbornness is always an issue but overall his impact of both the fast bowling push and the 5 bowler strategy have been wins IMO.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He played in England too and was the key to us winning our only test there. Yes, his stubbornness is always an issue but overall his impact of both the fast bowling push and the 5 bowler strategy have been wins IMO.
It has been an overall detriment in bowler friendly conditions. We have enough fast bowling depth to rotate the quicks between games and play with an extra batsman. The idea Kohli is pushing that this combination is somehow the catalyst for our wins overseas is not something I'm convinced by.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I personally hate the stump mics being turned up so high and always have, it feels so awkward and like we're an intruder into a space that we're fundamentally not supposed to be a part of.
It's the "experience". Bring the cricket into your living room, it's like you're really there!

I'd like to know more about the stump mic / ground mic situation generally tbh (Snicko vs Broadcasting mics). It's something the ICC should be looking at regulating from a broadcasting perspective, but it's probably too low hanging a fruit. That's even if they can do that.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think it should be turned up for the match officials and ref coz we know how bad things are on field and can be, with an increased awareness of mental health etc around the world and stuff. But I am honestly ok with the stump mic being up.

Dendarii

International Debutant
The selection of Jansen gives me hope. I just don't see how Sipamla and Coetzee get in now for the next few years!?
There'll be injuries, so they might get the odd opportunity here or there. But they're the ones who need to be part of the larger squad and not Olivier, Magala, or Hendricks.

Nice problem to have though.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Not Smith it was Fanie DeVillers... as one of the Afrikaans commentators. And it went from there.
And that was before Smith became director of cricket, so he would have only been a commentator as well, if he even was one for that series (probably, but I can't remember).

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It has been an overall detriment in bowler friendly conditions. We have enough fast bowling depth to rotate the quicks between games and play with an extra batsman. The idea Kohli is pushing that this combination is somehow the catalyst for our wins overseas is not something I'm convinced by.
It depends on how you view it but to me the 5 bowlers is fine. The personnel is probably the key. You have to remember literally none of our batters can bowl even part time. It can be an issue. You seem to think we will be able to bowl at full intensity with 4 bowlers like we have done with 5 and I dont think that is anywhere close to true.