• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2021-22

Window

U19 Debutant

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
haha... that is an exaggeration. He got done by an excellent ball from Sreesanth but he genuinely looked like he was taking off on one of his great knocks in the first innings there. Got a really good one from the 140+ kph Munaf who only existed for like 18 months.
Well he didn't contribute did he? That's no smudge on the great man but he really struggled that test match. Don't know what you remember but I vividly remember Lara after getting out shaking his head and pointing to the groundsman the sort of pitch that was lined up for that game. I could be wrong but that test match was one of the very best of Rahul Dravid's. The bloke had so many such test match memories. Incredible.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Yes but he also missed out on the post 2015 pitches which have been tougher even by RSA standards, right? Plus Kallis is a genius who could be an exception in many cases as far as batting is concerned.
ABdV is second on that list... and played some great aggressive innings, but also played much more docile innings. But what you need more than anything in SA as a great batsmen is patience. You forget the great knock ABdV played against Aus was after Elgar and Amla had driven the Aus attack into the ground through boredom and frustration.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If Pant can manage this injury through today and play well, his injury might be a blessing in disguise and he can be dropped from our LO teams where he is really not even half as good. And Ishy Kishy is right there as a good enough replacement.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well he didn't contribute did he? That's no smudge on the great man but he really struggled that test match. Don't know what you remember but I vividly remember Lara after getting out shaking his head and pointing to the groundsman the sort of pitch that was lined up for that game. I could be wrong but that test match was one of the very best of Rahul Dravid's. The bloke had so many such test match memories. Incredible.
Nah... when it comes to The Prince my memory is not something you wanna challenge. :p

And esp. since it was India V Windies as well, lol. The game you are referring to was the previous one when Lara played a gem to draw the game on the last day. He was disappointed the groudsmen had made a pitch that was so spin friendly against India who had Kumble and Harbhajan. Funnily enough, Bhajji had been dropped by India and Lara was basically gesturing, after his 100, that an offie there would have been a handfull.

Member Berry

U19 Cricketer
quality innings by Pant, hasn't needed the usual stroke of luck he requires when playing these counter-attacking innings either. been largely very sensible batting.

halba

International 12th Man
so pant is basically gilchrist in terms of quality and counter attacking and match winning ability. not quite as good as the legendary gilchrist, but definitely up there.

virat kohli fine at transitioning from offense to defense, just like the legendary ab de villiers(who i rate as the best test batsman in the modern game)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
ABdV is second on that list... and played some great aggressive innings, but also played much more docile innings. But what you need more than anything in SA as a great batsmen is patience. You forget the great knock ABdV played against Aus was after Elgar and Amla had driven the Aus attack into the ground through boredom and frustration.
Not at all. I mean discipline is always the key even when you are playing an attacking knock. You cant just blindly swing away. But my opinion is that you are better off looking to play your shots that you feel are percentage possibilities on your side. Just waiting there patiently, you are gonna get out. Especially in the pitches here since 2016 coz I feel like 2015 was the cut-off point for the last remnants of CEO pitches around the world.

Bahseph

State Captain
Game still on a knife edge but Kohli has been exemplary and Pant has been excellent. I will tip my hat to the SA bowlers for somehow keeping SA in this game and series. I'd be more than a little upset with the batsman by now.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
so pant is basically gilchrist in terms of quality and counter attacking and match winning ability. not quite as good as the legendary gilchrist, but definitely up there.

virat kohli fine at transitioning from offense to defense, just like the legendary ab de villiers(who i rate as the best test batsman in history).
I think Pant might not end up with great numbers like Gilly but I'll find it more satisfying if he continues playing these outrageous knocks like he has done so far. We keep talking about Gabba but he has played some exceptional knocks even before that.