• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2021-22

Spark

Global Moderator
Haha chill out man
nah i've seen this sentiment going around more and more and it really ****s me. for some reason people are suddenly questioning whether a mere noise is enough to give out caught behinds, despite it having been more than sufficient for 150 years. really worried it's going to start getting traction soon as we move deeper into the DRS era.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kohli will eventually have to start opening up if he runs out of support at the other end. Will be interesting to see if he can still switch gears like 2018 Kohli.

Window

U19 Debutant
nah i've seen this sentiment going around more and more and it really ****s me. for some reason people are suddenly questioning whether a mere noise is enough to give out caught behinds, despite it having been more than sufficient for 150 years. really worried it's going to start getting traction soon as we move deeper into the DRS era.
Not really what I was suggesting. The on-field umpire’s decision was contended. There is a system to make an assessment for such situations. Once you go to the third umpire, there should be a fairly established and clear benchmark for making a decision using the tools available. I don’t see how proposing to simplify the decision process and reduce subjectivity is ruining the game.

OverratedSanity

Not really what I was suggesting. The on-field umpire’s decision was contended. There is a system to make an assessment for such situations. Once you go to the third umpire, there should be a fairly established and clear benchmark for making a decision using the tools available. I don’t see how proposing to simplify the decision process and reduce subjectivity is ruining the game.
I just think this comes down to the confidence administrators of the game have for the tech. I dont think they believe snicko/hotspot/hawkeye are good enough to remove the subjective judgement of the third umpire from the equation.

SillyCowCorner1

Okay, I like the last two balls...intent from Pant.

Test cricket just continues to amaze me, while I am sipping on my cup of tea here...with a temperature of 14 degrees Fahrenheit outside (The real feel is 1 degree!).

Spark

Global Moderator
I just think this comes down to the confidence administrators of the game have for the tech. I dont think they believe snicko/hotspot/hawkeye are good enough to remove the subjective judgement of the third umpire from the equation.
You would need a rigorous study of the different noises snicko detects and an extensive training program before such a thing could be even contemplated. Subjective judgment based on experience > arbitrary thresholds otherwise, every time.

Window

U19 Debutant
You would need a rigorous study of the different noises snicko detects and an extensive training program before such a thing could be even contemplated. Subjective judgment based on experience > arbitrary thresholds otherwise, every time.
It’s not arbitrary. It’s based on empirical data and theory. This is how all scientific and engineering tool measurements work. I’m baffled by the thinking that establishing measurement tolerance levels for a sound detector is an impossible task.

Spark

Global Moderator
It’s not arbitrary. It’s based on empirical data and theory. This is how all scientific and engineering tool measurements work. I’m baffled by the thinking that establishing measurement tolerance levels for a sound detector is an impossible task.
How do you intend on gathering such data and theory without doing a study? Scientific measurements do not work by just winging it and throwing a few numbers around.

If you can convince the ICC to fund such a study then by all means. Nothing I have seen suggests they are remotely interested in the idea.

Window

U19 Debutant
How do you intend on gathering such data and theory without doing a study? Scientific measurements do not work by just winging it and throwing a few numbers around.
Why do you presume there would be no study or that I suggested there should be no study?

Anyways, I’d rather not continue on arguing against straw man retorts.

Back to the game, Pant can be a real frustrating player to watch at times.