• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2021-22

Window

U19 Debutant
This is gonna be controversial.

Though I don’t think such a small deviation can be attributed to contact. There were slight deviations in the waveform even after the ball went past the bat.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
yeah i wasn't fully convinced he'd hit it but what on earth was that 'gap' he saw?
I think it might have been marginally away from the face. Not clear enough I suppose? Dunno, instinctively think its probably not out but might have stayed with umpires decision if it'd been given on field.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
India in the last game had 2 slips, no gully AND no third man for a period of time. It was awful for a pitch with that sort of bounce.
Yeah the no gully AND third man thing was incredible...not attacking, not defending...what exactly? I've long felt KL goes missing on the field of play. He's only just started getting his **** together as a batsman, might be best to leave leadership responsibilities off the table for now.

Spark

Global Moderator
I think it might have been marginally away from the face. Not clear enough I suppose? Dunno, instinctively think its probably not out but might have stayed with umpires decision if it'd been given on field.
i'm not even complaining about the decision, i'm just convinced the umpire is actually blind

Spark

Global Moderator
had he said "that's not a real spike, insufficient evidence" i would have been completely in agreement but inventing a non-existent gap between bat and ball is honestly one of the most bizarre pieces of umpiring i've seen in a while.

Window

U19 Debutant
I think there should be set standards on the level of amplitude deviation that should be judged as genuine contact instead of just noise at the time where ball and bat are next to each other in the frame. Shouldn’t be so subjective.

Spark

Global Moderator
I think there should be set standards on the level of amplitude deviation that should be judged as genuine contact instead of just noise at the time where ball and bat are next to each other in the frame. Shouldn’t be so subjective.
You realise that this would completely overturn 150 years of established cricketing practice yeah? Why do you think we call it a nick?

Window

U19 Debutant
You realise that this would completely overturn 150 years of established cricketing practice yeah? Why do you think we call it a nick?
I don’t see how it’s any different in principle than uncertainty established in Hawkeye. Maybe go with a similar approach of the setting a benchmark amplitude required to overturn the on-field decision.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don’t see how it’s any different in principle than uncertainty established in Hawkeye. Maybe go with a similar approach of the setting a benchmark amplitude required to overturn the on-field decision.
..............you can't see any difference in principle between the uncertainty inbuilt in a computer simulation of a thing that did not happen and observational evidence of a thing that did?

shall we change the entire laws of the game now to mandate that "caught" dismissals require a certain mathematical amount of deviation to be given out? are umpires to become human protractors, measuring whether a ball has deviated the requisite 1.5 degrees after hitting the edge? or shall we have the ridiculous situation where the batsman has obviously smashed the cover off the ball, the umpire doesn't give it for whatever reason, but this stupid arbitrarily threshold imposed for no good reason whatsoever means it's not out?

it really annoys me when people see a simple example of a marginal decision involving their team and their response is to break the entire game.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Man if Kolli rallies the lower order along with him.. This could be a classic. Long way to go though. Peak Kohli in Edgbaston 2018 did that. Let's see if he still has that fire in him.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The soft wider noise is usually softer impact (like pad, hand etc. or gloves) and not off the bat from what I have seen in general. There is always at least one sharper spike if it hits the bat.

But I agree with @Spark - its one thing to say the spike does not seem to be clear enough to give it out or that it does not seem to the noise of bat on ball, but to say ball is well away from the bat is funny. Only reason I can think of is that he went by the previous frame and not the one that was needed, which, the broadcasters did bring up for him as shown in the screenshot Spark posted.

Window

U19 Debutant
..............you can't see any difference in principle between the uncertainty inbuilt in a computer simulation of a thing that did not happen and observational evidence of a thing that did?

shall we change the entire laws of the game now to mandate that "caught" dismissals require a certain mathematical amount of deviation to be given out? are umpires to become human protractors, measuring whether a ball has deviated the requisite 1.5 degrees after hitting the edge? or shall we have the ridiculous situation where the batsman has obviously smashed the cover off the ball, the umpire doesn't give it for whatever reason, but this stupid arbitrarily threshold imposed for no good reason whatsoever means it's not out?

it really annoys me when people see a simple example of a marginal decision involving their team and their response is to break the entire game.
This is a pretty weird response tbh and and a lot of presumption about my motivation for suggesting this approach. I don’t really care about this decision. Couldn’t give a ****.

I don’t see any parallels between your examples and my suggestion. Snicko is a measurement. All measurements have accuracy tolerance levels. Doesn’t matter if it’s a simulation or not. There’s nothing arbitrary about this. They are clearly using a measuring instrument and system already. It’s just a matter of arriving at the the tolerance levels of the measurement. It’s not an onerous task.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Haha chill out man