• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2021-22

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Also think we need to start blooding the next generation of seamers now. Ishant and Umesh are done. Bumrah, Shami, and Siraj are class but need to be rotated. Unlucky or not, they weren't able to defend 200+ targets two games running against a fairly suspect batting order. Burnout has to be a serious consideration. Get Avesh Khan, Prasidh, Tyagi, etc in there, see how they cope.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I mean that's why I didn't give it much weight until now. That the Indian setup has come to the same conclusion is news to me, however; I presume they have reasons to think that beyond "they're all friends with Warner and Smith from the IPL and sympathise with them".
I think the problem is that SS as a broadcaster, puts everybody under a microscope (including SA) looking for a story. Whereas I do think the Indian and Aus media, hero worship their stars a bit more. We have a very cynical press here, to an extent it is literally the SA environment.

Slifer

International Captain
I'm so disappointed in India. Best opportunity in a long long time to beat RSA away. And let's be frank, on paper this RSA team is weak compared to the Oz team India recently conquered. Did India become a victim of their own hubris? Or did RSA play out of their skin? Either way, hope this is a wake up call for India to do something about their batting; it's been atrocious for a while. The bowling remains outstanding except for the slow bowling (spinners) outside Asia.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
You think Dravid alone is picking the team?

Seriously some of the comments you see on this website. Lokesh/Kohli singlehandedly come up with all the bowling strategies, Dravid alone is picking the squad...things don't work that way.
Things work exactly that way. Dravid backed Rahane & even in his captaincy days was known as way too conservative. Very Naive to think that Kohli has any power in ODI team selections. Now watch how he picks up random pathetic XI... Under of course legendary captain Rahul.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think the problem is that SS as a broadcaster, puts everybody under a microscope (including SA) looking for a story. Whereas I do think the Indian and Aus media, hero worship their stars a bit more. We have a very cynical press here, to an extent it is literally the SA environment.
Thankfully in India you can hardly hear anything over the stump mics with the crowds. The broadcaster there seems to like panning to random girls in the crowd (as per SS) and cutting to Kohli all the time.

I think the Broadcaster relations in Aus have got more icky with the players since Channel 7 / Fox took over, but if we compare them to how SS are alleged to be its not as bad, but just bad in its own right. Mics are always up and whenever a spinner bowls you're better off saying nothing if you're in the infield. Always looking for that little bit of frustrated banter to do the rounds on social media. Notably that backfired on Paine spectacularly.

Xix2565

International Debutant
A wonderful series, and a wonderful advertisement for Test cricket. Lots will be said about India's loss and what it means to them and their legacy (which I don't think it tarnishes heavily - they're a superb cricket team), but there needs to be huge credit given to South Africa. To come from 1-0 down and then negotiate two potentially very tricky fourth innings chases so convincingly to win the series was fantastic. I hope they kick on from here - a resurgent South Africa can only be a good thing for the game.
Started already tbh, but SA looking like they have a decent base to lift off from. Batting for them is still suspect, but pace bowling is fine. Not sure about their spinners but we'll see.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Unexpected but fantastic win! The bowlers kept SA in this series but the batting showed some steel that I didn't know they possessed.
Yeah a win very much fashioned by the resolve of your batters. Even though I feel the difference between the sides was the 3rd seamer, the way your bats applied themselves was nothing short of outstanding. Whatever they may lack in talent, they made up with determination. The way they broke the Indians mentally was there to see in both the 4th innings IMO.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah Fox's whole gimmick - besides apparently thinking that being a great player automatically makes you a great commentator - is proximity of access to the players, with spidercam, on-field interviews, stump mics turned up to 1000 etc

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Olivier will be replaced when Nortje comes back. But none of this solves our batting problems...
Well you might as well keep Temba and RVD for now but get a couple of actual young prospects into the squad for NZ. Not Sarel Erwee preferably.

Oh and find a new job for Markram that doesn't require him to open.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Also seems like WTC final chances are also done. India needs to win every single game to make a comeback. It's going to be tight.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'll say it again now that the series is over. I despise Kohli's rigid attitude when it comes to the 5 bowler combination. Literally the only place it's worked for us overseas is Australia where the conditions are flat and you can't have 4 bowlers lumbering in all day to warner and smith. Every other overseas series we've played be it in England, SA or NZ it's not really got shining results afaic. This series was always going to be low scoring. You need the extra bat. Make the call between ashwin or the fourth seamer according to the pitch and move on. There's an acceptance that the batting has failed but no willingness to address that they have an even tougher job on their hands by having one fewer batsman to help out when collapses invariably happen in bowler friendly conditions.

Kohli's done a good job pulling the wool over people's eyes. To the point where even Indian fans who dislike him as captain have bought into the 5 bowler mantra. Its too inflexible and dumb.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Did India become a victim of their own hubris? Or did RSA play out of their skin?
India definitely showed some hubris at Jo'burg in their 3rd innings batting. But I dont think it was so much "out of their skin" from RSA as "extremely disciplined and determined". They were beaten so many times and yet they held to their techniques and their methods and knocked off the runs calmly both times. Amazingly well done.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Dude, Graeme Smith literally said he asked the SS cameramen to follow the ball for tampering. I am not saying the cheating was ok but its obvious whom they play for. Come on.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Well you might as well keep Temba and RVD for now but get a couple of actual young prospects into the squad for NZ. Not Sarel Erwee preferably.

Oh and find a new job for Markram that doesn't require him to open.
Well Markram should bat 4, and we have a number of batsmen as good if not better than Petersen than need to be given a shot. And Mulder should be the at 7.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I'll say it again now that the series is over. I despise Kohli's rigid attitude when it comes to the 5 bowler combination. Literally the only place it's worked for us overseas is Australia where the conditions are flat and you can't have 4 bowlers lumbering in all day to warner and smith. Every other overseas series we've played be it in England, SA or NZ it's not really got shining results afaic. This series was always going to be low scoring. You need the extra bat. Make the call between ashwin or the fourth seamer according to the pitch and move on. There's an acceptance that the batting has failed but no willingness to address that they have an even tougher job on their hands by having one fewer batsman to help out when collapses invariably happen in bowler friendly conditions.

Kohli's done a good job pulling the wool over people's eyes. To the point where even Indian fans who dislike him as captain have bought into the 5 bowler mantra. Its too inflexible and dumb.
I dont think the 5 bowler strategy is bad, per se, but the personnel has to be identified. It worked beautifully with Pandya to be honest. Of all the things to blame him for, this seems the silliest.