• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2013/14

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lopsy and Parnell are such pie-chuckers.

Philander has traditionally not been all that great in one day cricket, even domestically, but he's actually been excellent in the few matches they've played him in recently. I guess Jo'burg v India isn't the ideal situation for him if you're going to pick him in ODIs but I would've liked to see if he could carry on that recent ODI form.
Every time I see Lopsy bowl I find myself wondering how such a complete hack could ever have had any success in international cricket

I can only assume that there have been times when he hasn't epitomized "straight up and down trundler"

Parnell is, IMO, a bit different, in that at least he has international quality talent

Problem seems to be that he rivals Warner for thickness and has done his best to waste it

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
When Lopsy actually bowls well he's a pretty effective ODI bowler. Accurate and gets enough bounce that he's hard to drive etc.

Parnell is just rank. Can't believe he was once South Africa's third seamer in tests, no wonder they never won any major series.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Good result for S.A first up, really looking forward to the Tests.

R.I.P Nelson Mandela, possibly the GREATEST man of our generation.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Tell me when it's over, folks. I'm looking at this page, and it doesn't look like an Ind/SA discussion!

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Everyone is talking about Steyn's opening spell. Was it that amazing? Really want to see it!!!!!!!
I just popped on here to say I'm watching highlights on Fox here now and that Rohit Sharma is in for a very tough time based on Steyn's opening over to him.

Burgey

He bowled sixteen balls to Sharma before he scored a run, and that was a leading edge through cover. At one point he played and missed about four in a row, and Steyn seed to suggest he hold the bat there and Steyn would try and hit it.

Love Steyn. Too good.

OverratedSanity

He bowled sixteen balls to Sharma before he scored a run
15 balls before he even got a bat on it :laugh:

In the tests, he should have an easier time of it though... Comes way down the order. He'll only be made to look as bad if Steyn has the new ball.
But that spell yesterday was one of the best half hour of odi cricket I've seen in a while...

Last edited:

indiaholic

International Captain
Nah this just shows you don't fully understand the cricket you watch. Rohit's done well to not follow the ball with his hands when it moves away; it looks bad but it's good technique against this sort of bowling. If Steyn wants to actually get him out now then he's going to need to pitch it up further, which will give Rohit a chance to counter-attack if Steyn doesn't execute perfectly.
Thank you for this. This is almost exactly what Sachin did when he faced Steyn and is probably the best way to face him.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Thank you for this. This is almost exactly what Sachin did when he faced Steyn and is probably the best way to face him.
I should clarify that it wasn't particularly awesome batting from him or anything; I certainly think it'd be a bit far to compare the way he played Steyn to how Tendulkar did. He was getting owned by some good bowling. It was definitely encouraging that his technique was preventing him from getting out despite being beaten, but he did follow a couple of them with his hands a little bit before re-adjusting, and his footwork was poor. He wasn't anywhere near as bad as he looked or as some were saying in this thread, hence my defence, but it certainly wasn't a masterclass in anything other than "how to not get out when the bowler is much better than you are" :p

Last edited: