• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Pakistan

Fusion

Global Moderator
Jono said:
What is this about Chappell and/or the Indian camp complaining/querying about Akhtar's action? Is this all rubbish, since I've read something about them denying this, or is it true?

Seems a weird time to bring it up.
I'm disappointed with that too. I think Chappell was (perhaps understandably) upset at the beamers that Shoaib let loose twice. But unfortunately, Chappell took out his anger the wrong way. This makes him sound like a sour loser.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Jono said:
I don't understand how in all 4 innings the teams scored at more than or close to 4 an over. I have no idea how Pakistan managed that after being 6-36, and how India did it at 4-74. Pakistan's second innings is easier to understand since they had a strong platform and the pitch flattened out. What's more baffling was India's 2nd innings. I mean almost all players were going at a SR of 75-80+ There was no real attempt to pull a SA effort at the WACA last year and dig in. No one attempted a Rudolph knock. Yes I'm aware there was almost 2 more sessions needed to bat out than SA had to, but still, it was just weird. I can't really understand how a match where wickets fell at regular intervals consisted of such a fast run rate.

It's got to do with aggressive fields (especially no third man)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
this guy asif is pretty good it seems & after this test series win i reckon Pakistan will hurt india even more in the ODI's since their team is much superior to india's in that form of the game. Looking way ahead to pakistan's tour hear they seem to have the makings of a good pace attack, dunno if anyone agrees here but this i what i reckon may be pakistan's best XI for the england test series:

Butt
Farhat/Malik
Younis
Mohammad Yo
Inzamam
Afridi
Razzaq
Akmal
Naved
Shoaib
Asif

godofcricket

State 12th Man
Jono said:
I have no doubt in my mind that Ganguly will make the squad for the England tour. Whether he'll get a permanent place in the XI is what is up in the air. You can't, just simply can't drop Yuvraj. He's batted well this series and is a superb fielder. Laxman too, whilst not been in blistering form, has scored a crucial ton against SL and a good 90 against Pakistan. Dropping Dravid, Sachin or Sehwag is obviously out of the question, which just leaves Sourav left. India need an opener, Dravid can't play like this on tough pitches. Well he can, but he shouldn't have to because its detrimental to the Indian team.
Well looking at the current situation i think Ganguly should stand up and say i am ready to have a go at the opening spot, seriously the way selectors are going on about him by playing him for one test and dropping him for the next doest seem right, if he seriously wants a permenant place right now then its better that he tries settling in for the top position. If they drop him for the next test and the batsman replacing him performs then i guess thats the end for him, so its better if he gives an open offer on where the coach or the captain would want him to play, and he needs to take every opportunity given.

godofcricket

State 12th Man
luckyeddie said:
Easier said than done.

England too had Pakistan on the run on more than a couple of occasions recently - Bob Woolmer's got some fierce commitment and ne'er say die instilled into that side now.
Definetly, the other most important thing they developed is unity, the biggest change can be seen in shoaib who i think has really matured and we dont hear of his non-sense anymore about how he can tackle different batsman before the match even starts. Even his expressions on the field have been very positive after some of the catches our fielders dropped.

jack_sparrow

U19 Debutant
Jono said:
What is this about Chappell and/or the Indian camp complaining/querying about Akhtar's action? Is this all rubbish, since I've read something about them denying this, or is it true?
I placed keywords in google news search and 100% of the news that came up was Indian sources. First three were timesofindia....

Sanz said:
Razzaq out and there is the declaration...India need 607 to win in 166 overs. It has never been done before, it will not be done here. Pakistan 1-0. Kamran Akmal Man of the match, Younis Khan man of the Series.
Thank You very much.
Perfect prediction. Cheers to you. Beers on me.

Result: Pakistan won by 341 runs
Series: Pakistan wins the 3-Test series 1-0

Toss: India
Umpires: DJ Harper (Aus) and SJA Taufel (Aus)
TV Umpire: Asad Rauf
Match Referee: RS Madugalle (SL)
Man of the Match: Kamran Akmal
Player of the Series: Younis Khan

Deja moo

International Captain
Jono said:

It was brought up on the second day IIRC. Ex-Ump Venkat was also quoted as saying that he had referred Akhtar and Lee to the ICC during his umpiring career, but they simply shoved it under the carpet.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Deja moo said:
It was brought up on the second day IIRC. Ex-Ump Venkat was also quoted as saying that he had referred Akhtar and Lee to the ICC during his umpiring career, but they simply shoved it under the carpet.
I think it was sometime during the second test that these reports came out. I could be wrong though; let me see if I can find some article to link to.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Just finished CW report...

The storm clouds had murmured after Lahore, the skies had thickened in Faisalabad, and finally in Karachi the ******* of wickets fell to scorching raw pace. Whereas in the first two Tests neither Pakistani nor Indian batsman had been challenged, the awestruck tourists now crumbled in the face of the hostile home side.

The two previous Tests proved a drawn out and inconclusive prologue to the adrenalin-fuelled National Stadium, and when the smouldering wreck of an Indian side limped awestruck to a 341-run defeat, the Pakistani pacemen certainly provided an explosive and decisive climax.

Resuming on 511, with five second-innings wickets in hand, Faisal Iqbal, who struck a maiden hundred yesterday, and Abdul Razzaq took just short of 13 overs to add another 88 runs, taking their partnership to four below the 200-run mark. When Razzaq holed out at long-on, in similar manner to Faisal, and with the lead standing at a colossal 606 runs, stand-in captain Younis Khan declared.

The Indian batsmen were still licking their salted wounds, when Shoaib Ahktar took the key wicket of Dravid, undone by a little movement and pouched by wicket-keeper Akmal. Virender Sehwag was then comprehensively bowled by Mohammad Asif, who jerked one back of the seam, uprooting Sehwag's middle peg in exotically subcontinental fashion. With just one-and-a-half overs gone, India were eight for two, with both openers dismissed.

Sachin Tendulkar and VVS Laxman now led a fairly aggressive fightback, demonstrating their experience to nurture India through to lunch without further loss. However Asif soon accounted for both when play resumed: Laxman was left swishing at thin air as he was cleaned up by another inswinger, while Tendulkar fell a little foul of the surface as a shooter clanged into his off-stump.

Yet again the Indians rebuild, this time under the watchful eyes of the reinstated Sourav Ganguly, and Yuvraj Singh. While the runs continued to flow, largely due to some zealous Pakistani field settings, the target was only mildly dented. Indian hopes plummeted further when Razzaq had Ganguly trapped leg-before, and were perhaps extinguished when MS Dhoni was caught by Farhat off the same bowler.

Irfan Pathan, who had flourished despite the conditions throughout the series, also offered little resistance, falling victim of a vicious Razzaq bouncer as centurion Iqbal took the catch in the gully. The only real resistance now came from Yuvraj, batting with princely elegance, a sole flame in the creeping blackness. He was to hit 19 fours and a solitary six in his 144 ball 122, though received, bar some initial company from Ganguly, little support.

Danish Kaneria, surplus to requirements in the first-innings, then entered the fray. He had Kumble, driving expansively, acrobatically caught at slip by Farhat, and mopped up Zaheer Khan. Yuvraj, the lonely crusader, finally top-edged a catch to Akmal off Razzaq, and the Indian downfall was complete.

Throughout the series, the Pakistani seam attack must have been clamouring for a fresh, lively track, and when they got it, methodically slit the Indians apart. In a giant game of Jenga, they let the Indians squabble over the inconsequential early blocks, before ruthlessly toppling the Indian batsmen when the competition got serious. For India, who must now face the wrath of the home media, there are many unanswered problems: Ganguly the most pressing. Rahul Dravid is a makeshift opener at best, and Gautam Gambhir may now be the future partner of Virender Sehwag, with Ganguly's departure the most likely result from the reshuffling.

On boneless pitches, India matched their great rival. But when they needed to prove their mettle, the Pakistani bowlers had other assignments.

Pakistan 245 and 599 for seven declared (140.1 overs)
Faisal Iqbal 139, Abdul Razzaq 90

India 238 and 265 (58.4 overs)
Yuvraj Singh 122; Abdul Razzaq 4 for 88, Mohammad Asif 3 for 48

Pakistan won by 341 runs
Man of the Match: Kamran Akmal

Pakistan won the three-match series 1-0
Man of the Series: Younis Khan

EDIT: The asterisked word is another word for large deluge, filtered out by forums

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jono said:
Lol. I'm an Indian fan but I just feel like mocking them anyway, I can only imagine what some of the Pakistani fans on this forum would like to say to them. :p
Fortunately we don't seem to have so many Pakistanis of their style of posting on the forum, so we won't see the sort of comments we'd have seen had it been the other way round (if that makes sense?)

adharcric

International Coach
This is what I can take from this series.

- This is just my belief, but I think PCB designed 2 dead tracks on purpose so that they would catch the Indians off-guard in the third test. It seemed to backfire on them at the beginning, but the Indians did play poorly against some good bowling by Asif and Razzaq. I'm not using the pitches as an excuse for the loss, btw.

-Ganguly showed that he can still contribute and looked quite fluent in this match. It's enough to retain his place in the test squad, but maybe not enough to be in the playing XI. Had he gotten a big ton, maybe that would've kept Dravid locked as the opener, so maybe this is better for the team ... I'm not sure. But I really want Ganguly to get a chance and do well, so he has to decide if he can open or if he's ready to be a bench-warmer for many matches even though he might not deserve that.

-Kumble was very indisciplined and Harbhajan always seems to get bad luck when he's bowling. Maybe it was the tracks, but this was really poor from our spin masters.

-The Indian pace department looked depleted once again, and it proved that we'll never be a leading side without genuine pace bowlers. Pathan should stay. RP Singh has just started and looks promising, maybe not penetrative enough. Zaheer is so inconsistent and slower than he should be. Agarkar is harmless. It's time for changes.

-Now, speaking of Pakistan. I've got to say I'm very impressed by their progress. They have one hell of a player in Akmal. Butt and Farhat is the right combo for them I believe, and their middle-order when Inzy returns is solid, at least on these tracks. Asif might turn out to be a real gem ... Akhtar needs to be more penetrative and spend less time bowling crazy bouncers and more time bowling ripping deliveries like the one that undid Sehwag. Well done Pakistan.

-The one-day series will be interesting. Pakistan has been the stronger side for the past few years now, but this India one-day side is different than the old ones, there is flexibility and energy in it. I think Yuvraj and Kaif will turn up huge this time around. India needs revenge!

Choora

State Regular
godofcricket said:
I can see a few changes in the Pak team for the test side, the openers are likely to be Farhat and Butt as shoaib malik wont find a place for some time i guess, Faisal will have to leave for Inzamam but the bowling department seems good ATM with Shoaib, Asif, Razzaq and kaneria. The good thing about this is, Pakistan actually has a back-up for each department which just shows the strength in their current team.
It should be Akhtar,Asif Rana/Umar gul and Kaneria

And openers should be Butt and Hameed

jack_sparrow

U19 Debutant
According to Michael holding, on that show straight drive its baloney to say that theres something wrong with having hyper extension in your elbow...his reasons basically nuked the Indian medias theory.

..He mentioned the fact that another bowler has a greater hyperextension (more then 190 plus!) that also played in this game. His name is RP Singh. Apparently the Indian media failed to take notice of that, if they are that worried about it.

Fusion

Global Moderator
jack_sparrow said:
According to Michael holding, on that show straight drive its baloney to say that theres something wrong with having hyper extension in your elbow...his reasons basically nuked the Indian medias theory.

..He mentioned the fact that another bowler has a greater hyperextension (more then 190 plus!) that also played in this game. His name is RP Singh. Apparently the Indian media failed to take notice of that, if they are that worried about it.
I think this (non)story would die a natural death. If Chappell did say what the Indian media sources quoted him, then he was wrong to do so and probably did it out of anger at Shoaib's beamers. I think the cricket world has long established that Shoaib is not a chucker.
By the way, if chappell did say what the media is saying, then IMHO it's just another example of him being very weak at diplomacy. Whatever your opinion on Ganguly, I think most would agree that Chappell didn't handle the media fallout right (with the apex being the famed one-finger salute to the Ganguly fans). I think Chappell was a brilliant player, and may well be an excellent coach, but he lacks something in dealing with PR issues.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Fusion said:
if chappell did say what the media is saying, then IMHO it's just another example of him being very weak at diplomacy. Whatever your opinion on Ganguly, I think most would agree that Chappell didn't handle the media fallout right (with the apex being the famed one-finger salute to the Ganguly fans). I think Chappell was a brilliant player, and may well be an excellent coach, but he lacks something in dealing with PR issues.
You will be surprised. Actually most people in India are so blinded by Ganguly hatred that they think of Chappell as some kind of Saviour of Indian Cricket, they dont even believe that Chappell actually showed his finger on the contrary it was some sort of trick photography. IMO Chappel was a brilliant player but is a very average coach and time will prove that.