• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2013/14

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Has anyone seen Bennett on the speed-gun so far this season? Worth remembering that he wasn't truly fast even before his back injury (fastest I remember him bowling was about 145). Though I'm not sure whether the speed guns they use for the HRV Cup are the same as those for the internationals. All our regular internationals seem to be about 5kmh down on their usual speeds - though I suppose that could just be them bowling within themselves
Yeah there was one game apparently, a couple of deliveries as low as 131 and 132 in his first over itbt. Length balls were often 136, a full toss at 142 -

Hawkeye to probably placate Bennett fans by showing he's got a bit of that Bresnan factor to his slower gun speeds (projected from a really hefty physique, with plenty of retained speed twenty yards in).

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
That's about as fast as Boult's been reading in the HRV cup, so he'll probably be 138-145 if he gets back in the Black Caps, which is about where he was.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
If Bennett bowled to the nz cricket team in a test his figures would be 1/120 off 30. Ross being particularly severe on him.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
If Bennett bowled to the nz cricket team in a test his figures would be 1/120 off 30. Ross being particularly severe on him.
If Wagner bowled to the nz cricket team in a test his figures would be 1/150 of 30. Rudds to better his debut innings.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, Wagner dines out on flakey batsmen that play too many shots. 4/90 off 20 overs.
nah, he just trolls decent batsmen.

Tamim:
"Wait, he's not really bowling a 125kph pie at me, is he? Is that a slower ball? Maybe I shouldn't smash it".

I.e. would probably get Taylor and noone else.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dhoni thinks the side is "settled" and that "individuals need to be backed". I want to slap his face so hard. Ishant should be a case study for HBS.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
did Vance Stand tickets allow you to walk anywhere around the Basin, during the Test?
Ethan Tucker ‏@ethan_tucker
@PlunketPromise Yes, from memory it's only the members' areas you can't enter with a regular ticket.
So yeah, not that seeing all the TV and radio legends of New Zealand cricket in a grotty old stand is a great prize, but that sounds good for my future reference.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Tbf, on a really windy day, the Vance stand is the only part of the ground that you can watch the cricket comfortably.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
The Black Caps bowling coach is calling for Adam Milne's pace exploits to be let loose in Test cricket.

Milne is being talked up as a potential prospect for the Black Caps long-term after hitting 153 kilometres an hour in the Twenty20 win over the West Indies in Auckland.

Shane Bond, who's also the only other New Zealand bowler to crack the mark, says Milne is going to be a massive part of the future.

"It's exciting to have someone like that in our sport. He's only 21, which is even more exciting.

"He's got exceptional skill, he trains hard, and he's an exciting prospect for the long term for New Zealand cricket."

Shane Bond says Milne isn't limited to ODI's and T20s because he's a fit and healthy player who can bowl more than 10 overs an innings.

He believes Milne possesses a weapon not seen in New Zealand bowling stocks for some time - fear.

The Black Caps bowling coach says that kind of pace adds an extra dimension.

"I remember being in the shed when Shoaib Akhtar was bowling, you could sort of see a bit of fear in the eyes of the batsmen and counting down the deliveries that he was bowling, especially in one day cricket."

Bond says Milne is definitely good enough to play Test cricket and should be considered against India.
http://arntrnassets.mediaspanonline.com/radio/s01/1149774/A1158_20140112202148350_0.mp3 (Milne chat starts 3.30 in)

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah look gagf. 98% of New Zealand sports fans have reported either a strong or very strong desire to see a new Bond and a new Warne on their TV screens during the summer, and we have it now.

Blocky

Banned
In the nets, I can bowl ripping leg breaks, top spin armballs, leg cutters, off cutters, inswing, outswing and even left arm orthodox.

Do I do it in the game? No. Does it therefore count? No.

Milne was straight up and down in the T20 match, he bowled a great length and had great pace. But swing? Not there.

Blocky

Banned
The debate on Wagner versus Milne is moot. I think both should play, Sodhi should vacate his position for Milne.

The decision on Ryder will be interesting.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
In the nets, I can bowl ripping leg breaks, top spin armballs, leg cutters, off cutters, inswing, outswing and even left arm orthodox.

Do I do it in the game? No. Does it therefore count? No.

Milne was straight up and down in the T20 match, he bowled a great length and had great pace. But swing? Not there.
He can, but yeah he's not particularly skilful at it. It's something to work on, but shouldn't be his main skill. Guys like Siddle and Harris are primarily seam bowlers but have swing up their sleeves when they need it too. I think that's the type of direction Milne should be heading, rather than in the Steyn direction where he's looking for swing most of the time. It would just suit our team balance much better.

The debate on Wagner versus Milne is moot. I think both should play, Sodhi should vacate his position for Milne.
Agreed.