• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

Laurrz

International Debutant
Sorry - jaques' stance. Heard Bob Simpson a couple of days ago on the radio and he commented on how, with that stance, it's difficult to move into the correct position if the ball moves. Thought it wasn't a bad point after what happened in Perth tbh.
Does smack 'em though.
oh i see

well he is very successful in county

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
While the Aussies continue to serve up this dross, both Noffke and Bollinger keep taking wickets domestically. Even on a road i Sydney today, Bollinger's got the 2 wickets to fall, and Noffke just keeps on keeping on for Qld.
Unfortunately there are no more tests in Australia this season, just ODI's. :(

sideshowtim

Banned
Declare?!? Heck no, they shouldn't declare. India should bat out till the last wicket falls and add every single run they can. It would be foolish to declare IMO knowing the history in this ground.
The history of this ground says that it's very difficult to take 20 opposition wickets, and India need a lot of time to do that if they want to draw the series

sideshowtim

Banned
It could just be a difference in philosophy, even if you feel it is the wrong one. I don't see see why people always assume these decisions are made for selfish reasons, especially when it's a player who has no history of such acts. He deserves some benefit of the doubt.
If he declares as soon as he gets his 100 I can assure you it was for selfish reasons.

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
Just thought I'd do some investigation into the tail-wagging. Here are the runs made by both sides after the loss of the 6th wicket. It looks fairly even, but India's innings here pushes it in their favour.

MELBOURNE

India

1st – 74

2nd – 17

Australia

1st – 52

2nd – 63 (declared 7 down)

SYDNEY

India

1st – 202

2nd – 63

Australia

1st – 329

2nd – 8 (declared 7 down)

PERTH

India

1st – 46

2nd – 134

Australia

1st – 49

2nd – 113

ADELAIDE

India

1st – 189

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha, as if it's selfish SST. The longer Australia is out the in the field, the more frustrated/tired/weary they are going to become. Kumble is certainly doing the right thing for India afaic.

social

The history of this ground says that it's very difficult to take 20 opposition wickets, and India need a lot of time to do that if they want to draw the series
Yep

Eng's collapse last year had nothing to do with the wicket - they simply had a brain explosion that was put into proper context by how easy Oz made batting look in the fourth innings

Dissector

International Debutant
It's much easier to score runs in the first innnings than in the third, as demonstrated both in 04 and 06. If they don't get bowled first they should continue to bat for about an hour and give themselves an hour to bowl. That way they will have a newish ball tomorrow morning as well.

It will be tough getting 20 wickets here but this is an ideal set-up with a big total on the board and a tired opposition. I am really glad they picked 5 bowlers as well. The key will be patience. Australia is bound to get runs but if India keep plugging away and taking their chances they could get Australia out for around 425 with a 100+ lead. Then they will need to score about 250 in a couple of sessions and leave perhaps 100 overs to get Australia out.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha, people having a go at Kumble here?

Ridiculous.

What a legend, get as many runs as you can. People acting like its day 3... they've only played 5 sessions!

Btw, how bad have Australia been today? God awful.

Mister Wright

Haha, people having a go at Kumble here?

Ridiculous.

What a legend, get as many runs as you can. People acting like its day 3... they've only played 5 sessions!

Btw, how bad have Australia been today? God awful.
It's the new Australia. Personally I think they're lucky that they're not staring down a series defeat here.

social

It's much easier to score runs in the first innnings than in the third, as demonstrated both in 04 and 06. If they don't get bowled first they should continue to bat for about an hour and give themselves an hour to bowl. That way they will have a newish ball tomorrow morning as well.

It will be tough getting 20 wickets here but this is an ideal set-up with a big total on the board and a tired opposition. I am really glad they picked 5 bowlers as well. The key will be patience. Australia is bound to get runs but if India keep plugging away and taking their chances they could get Australia out for around 425 with a 100+ lead. Then they will need to score about 250 in a couple of sessions and leave perhaps 100 overs to get Australia out.
Therein lies the problem

If the wicket is going to get so much worse, and history says it wont, then the chances of India scoring at a far higher rate than they have all series is basically zero

And if India do manage to restrict Oz to 425, it will be a substantial failure on Australia's behalf

In summary, it could happen but very unlikely

sideshowtim

Banned
It's the new Australia. Personally I think they're lucky that they're not staring down a series defeat here.
The new Australia?

On the whole, our bowling hasn't been bad at all. We've bowled enough wicket taking balls for 15+ wickets on an absolute featherbed by now, but poor fielding has cost us. We don't have any major problems at the moment because Johnson, Lee and Clark are all bowling pretty well. We just need to work on our catching, which sounds obvious enough, but had we taken all our catches it'd be a very different story out there. Catching is something that can easily be fixed.

All out. World record for Gilchrist.