• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2014-5

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gavaskar basically becoming a tail ender when Lillee bowled is why he can't be rated in the truly top echelon of all time opening batsmen. Did well here on the 77-78 and 85-86 tours when we had joke attacks riven by WSC and Rebel Tour defections. That aside, he was a liability here, which means he's cod ordinary.
Interesting point that, I would have normally come back at you citing his exploits/record against the mighty Windies, but read this article recently which suggest that could be a bit of a myth; History of Cricket: The Myth of Sunil Gavaskar and the West Indies Quicks

Spikey

Your current negative attitude towards me is because I opened it in the backseat of your car isn't it. I told you I'd pay for the car wash man.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Really annoys me that Rahane is still in. Not sure why Im still awake at 6am watching Lyon and Stark bowl filth

anil1405

International Captain
If ever there was a stat that kept track of the number of attacking strokes a batsman played straight to the fielder, Rahane would be somewhere top in that list.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Interesting point that, I would have normally come back at you citing his exploits/record against the mighty Windies, but read this article recently which suggest that could be a bit of a myth; History of Cricket: The Myth of Sunil Gavaskar and the West Indies Quicks
Meh, even if you filter for purely in matches when 2 or more ATG pacers were bowling, Gavaskar was still exceptional and better than pretty much anyone in the world at accumulating vs great quicks. You'd have to do an analysis like 'It was a hot day in Madras so his 236 in a series where Holding and Marshall took 60 wickets @ 20 doesn't count" to discount his record. He obviously doesn't average 70 vs. the absolute best WI attacks he faced but who does?

Gavaskar was also the only batsman with the technique to open the batting and score run-a-ball hundreds against the great WI attack.

EDIT: Even reading the article, It says he played three series against attacks where two or more great bowlers were present and scored 390 @ 55, 240 @ 30 and 505 @ 50. His biggest innings in the first series came not as the article seems to imply when the pacers were rested but when Roberts and Holding were playing. Even if you want to consider only his performances in the last two of those series when the proper 'quartet' was playing, His record is still insane relative to bowling standards.

Honestly, the 'myth' about him being some sort of rabbit when the great WI pacers were in operation and cashing in v. weak attacks is far bigger than the myth that actually averaged 70 v. an ATG bowling line-up across two decades on CW.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Lovely batting this! It's almost making it bearable to hear James (how did he get his job) Brayshaw.