• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

****OFFICIAL**** Imran Khan vs Botham Debate Thread

Who was better?

• Imran Khan

Votes: 40 75.5%
  • Ian Botham

Votes: 13 24.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Swervy

International Captain
magsi23 said:
Imran khan was better no doubt
yep...no doubt whatsoever..why did we have this massive debate about it, when there is absolutley no doubt that Imran was better....

Sometimes I dispair:)

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
What was the point in reviving this old thread? Ian Botham is second only to Sir Garry in the all-rounder stakes, Imran Khan was just an average trundler who's batting improved as he got older.;)

R_D

International Debutant
I didn't bother reading through the whole thing.. only read first 5 or 6 pages.
Why don't we from now on just take people's Peak and determine who is better. Forget about how rest of their career panned out to be. Its all about the peak. At least that helps Botham look much better than the rest.. otherwise its pretty close call.

SA

Banned
Lillian Thomson said:
What was the point in reviving this old thread? Ian Botham is second only to Sir Garry in the all-rounder stakes, Imran Khan was just an average trundler who's batting improved as he got older.;)
TBH,Imran Khan was a better allrounder than both Gary Sobers & Ian Botham.:)

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
SA said:
TBH,Imran Khan was a better allrounder than both Gary Sobers & Ian Botham.:)
No, he was better than Ian Botham. Not better than Sir Gary Sobers.

How come nobody mentions somebody like Tony Greig as a good all rounder, averages 40 with the bat and 32 with the ball. Those figures a pretty handy, granted the bowling one is not as good as Imran or Botham but his batting is alot better. I was just wondering why nobody really rated him.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
True but still, I thought people might've rated him a bit higher than they do.

silentstriker said:
Can I please get some of that crack you're smoking, cause it must be really good.
In your opinion,Sobers might be the best allrounder ever but its not necessary that everyone else(especialy me) also shares your opinion.

For me,Sobers was hardly an allrounder.He was an excellent batsman who could bowl of it(a bowling average of 35 on bowling friendly wickets & ratio of less than 3 wickets per test proves it).Whereas Imran Khan was a genuine allrounder who would make anytime on the basis of his performance in either of the two disciplines(batting or bowling).So,thats the reason why consider Imran,Botham & Miller to be better allrounders than Gary Sobers.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
If that's so then, how come Imran never really performed with both aspects in the same series, yet the supposed part-timer had several such series?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
BhupinderSingh said:
In your opinion,Sobers might be the best allrounder ever but its not necessary that everyone else(especialy me) also shares your opinion.

For me,Sobers was hardly an allrounder.He was an excellent batsman who could bowl of it(a bowling average of 35 on bowling friendly wickets & ratio of less than 3 wickets per test proves it).Whereas Imran Khan was a genuine allrounder who would make anytime on the basis of his performance in either of the two disciplines(batting or bowling).So,thats the reason why consider Imran,Botham & Miller to be better allrounders than Gary Sobers.

It's a bit odd to use Sobers bowling record as an excuse to say he's not a genuine allrounder and then to say Imran would have made it in the side as a batsman when his record of 6 centuries and 37 average in 88 Tests is not that of a top class batsman.

Lillian Thomson said:
It's a bit odd to use Sobers bowling record as an excuse to say he's not a genuine allrounder and then to say Imran would have made it in the side as a batsman when his record of 6 centuries and 37 average in 88 Tests is not that of a top class batsman.
Imran used to bat at #7 or 8 & thats a very good record for a lower order batsman.