• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

****Official Hockey Discussion Thread****

Meridio

International Regular
Stoked with that result. Was a pretty frantic game, and quite tight defensively. Think both sides were not as slick as they'd like to be, often the final pass would let them down after some good lead up play. Obviously, Australia a long way off where they were a few years ago.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Must be frightening running out of the goals for a penalty corner, knowing the ball is about to be whacked straight at you. Got lots of respect for hockey players.
It is. I generally run our first team defence at centre half. Despite being the quickest guy in the team I am usually employed on the post. Hate post so much, have deflected a ball into the goal accidentally more often than actually saved our skins. I once got hit on the back of the head with a flick in indoor. Wasn't fun but actually wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it'd be. Carried on playing, just a bit dazed.
The blue pitch was specifically to make it easier to follow the ball. Not worked then (I watching the Denmark v India archery at present)
Didn't look too fly to me, can't say I'd want to play on one. Although iirc I played on one in u13, couldn't tell you whether it was better or worse though.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Who are the favourites for the tournament?
From what I heard on radio before the games the womens is wide open and Australia are hot favourites in the mens.

GB started well 3-0 up 8 minutes before half time, not sure how good/bad Japan are though.

Meridio

International Regular
Really disappointing result for the NZ men today, going down 2-0 to Korea. First ten minutes of the game we were all over them; then, for the rest of the first half we could barely get it out of our half, and Korea scored twice. Second half we were a bit better but the final ball let us down, and we also missed all three penalty corners we won. Makes it that much harder for us to qualify, means we'll have to beat at least one of Germany or the Netherlands, barring some major upsets. Korea looked decent, though not that great I thought - defensively they were very strong, but their main route of attack was to smash it into the circle and hope to find a player (which they did, twice).

Australia vs SA was next and was predictably one-sided, though I was actually reasonably impressed with SA - they've improved a lot in the last few years. First half in particular they kept pace with Aus. Australia were ridiculously good on attack, though defensively I thought they looked a little bit suspect at times, also were very cynical, number 19 in particular (cbf checking his name) who seemed a total thug, always leading/following through on tackles with elbows and shoulders. Got one green card, but should've been yellowed twice tbh.

Anyway, was freaking awesome to watch. So, so fast and skillful. Not just in a straight line either, the way these guys can change direction or spin around and not lose any pace is incredible. Also, just to be a **** and rub in how I'm here and you aren't, here's a couple of photos from the last two days. Think there's a crack in my camera lens, which ****s me off.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Really disappointing result for the NZ men today, going down 2-0 to Korea. First ten minutes of the game we were all over them; then, for the rest of the first half we could barely get it out of our half, and Korea scored twice. Second half we were a bit better but the final ball let us down, and we also missed all three penalty corners we won. Makes it that much harder for us to qualify, means we'll have to beat at least one of Germany or the Netherlands, barring some major upsets. Korea looked decent, though not that great I thought - defensively they were very strong, but their main route of attack was to smash it into the circle and hope to find a player (which they did, twice).
I thought penalty corners used to be our specialty - what happened?

_Ed_

The women's team are doing well - they're up 3-0 against SA now after winning their first game. Awesome to see.

Meridio

International Regular
NZ hockey team helping out with security. Nice chaps.

Anyway, our girls are about to take on Argentina. Big game, if we can get a win from this it might be enough to send us through to the semis. Argies obviously very good though; and since lost their first game to the Yanks they'll be pretty desperate to take points from this one.

_Ed_

Disappointing loss for NZ - 2-1, and they had a few good chances to equalise from what I saw. Hope they can still sneak into the semis.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australian men should've put 10 past the Argies by now but only leading 2-1

Can see a late equaliser coming

Meridio

International Regular
Disappointing loss for NZ - 2-1, and they had a few good chances to equalise from what I saw. Hope they can still sneak into the semis.
Yeah, was a disappointing game from our girls. First 10-15 minutes we were asleep, playing terribly, and while we improved throughout the game we still turned the ball over far too easily. Crucial point in the game was in the second half when we missed an absolutely golden chance; Argentina then went straight down to our end of the field and scored.

Still definitely in with a chance to make the semis, but we absolutely cannot afford to slip up vs USA.