• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at Trent Bridge

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
IMO, it goes without saying that Clarke is a very, very fine cricketer

In fact, whilst I have never been his biggest fan, I have no truck with anyone labelling him a "great"

That being said, I am struggling to give him a rating of 1/10 based on his test performances in this series and that is only on the basis of him catching the team bus on time

In short, he has been utter ****

With or without Anderson, he needs to stand up if we are to have a prayer

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I heard it in this video at 7.15mins.

But tbf Mark Chapman did say "We think you'll be the first ever Englishman to win 5 Ashes series"

Ah well, Mark Chapman is a very bad person indeed. Or his researcher is. Obviously I'm getting on a bit, but Beefy's Ashes series weren't all that long ago. It's not as if we're talking about the late 1800's and early 1900's, when they seemed to take place every couple of years.

Where was the interview originally broadcast? I might drop Chapman a line.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
IMO, it goes without saying that Clarke is a very, very fine cricketer

In fact, whilst I have never been his biggest fan, I have no truck with anyone labelling him a "great"

That being said, I am struggling to give him a rating of 1/10 based on his test performances in this series and that is only on the basis of him catching the team bus on time

In short, he has been utter ****

With or without Anderson, he needs to stand up if we are to have a prayer
Even with another England implosion in the next test I think it all rests on Smith. He has role reversed with the old Clarke. If he goes big we have a chance. If he goes into God mode we win. The problem I see is that it still needs someone at the other end to do something. Which is why we are going to have to get the runs from the top 3 based on form. Rogers and Warner the only 2 capable right now. We need a 1/500 start in a game to really control it. No Jimmy at TB the best chance.

The big worry about Clarke IMO is that he doesn't look capable of scrapping out a dirty but useful 50 like AB and SWaugh could do when it was needed but they weren't in form.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's absolutely nothing wrong with Australia's bowling. England has crossed 400 once in the series. Every single problem in the Australian team is a problem with the batting. The bowlers look tired because they're carrying around the sorry arses of the middle order on their backs.
The problem with this theory is that Australia's worst day of bowling was day one at Cardiff, when they hadn't batted yet. England batted very badly that day (Root aside) and were completely let off the hook by Haddin's drop and some really inaccurate bowling.

grecian

If Woods out theyll probably go with Plunkett as I can't see them starting a debutant in a must win Ashes test

:-/ very samey attack.
Would have been samey with Wood though, really hope they go for Foottit, but you are right, they'll play safe with Plunkett. None of these guys are going to give much control though, Oz will be going at about 6-an-over, just hope we can bowl them out in 30 or less.

BTW though, all this talk about Wood being a "doubt", there's no ****ing doubt he's carrying an injury, he's horribly injury-prone, he doesn't play. Hopefully the England camp have decided this alre

Gob

International Coach
Still think its all about going back to 5. Aust 40 for 3 and Clarkeh double

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Oh and just to add an Aussie slant there is an article in the SMH suggesting they drop Hazlewood for Siddle.

Hah. Please.

Tangles

Bananaman has fans but does he show enough #intent for Boof. No meat shows a lack of intent imo.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Bananaman has fans but does he show enough #intent for Boof. No meat shows a lack of intent imo.
He shows enough intent by saving 90 animals lives a year. Oh wait my wife doesn't read these forums, carry on.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Just flicked on Sky and they're talking about unrest in the Australian camp as part of an up coming story. Is this genuine or is it people in the media having a waaaah about Haddin?

grecian

Just flicked on Sky and they're talking about unrest in the Australian camp as part of an up coming story. Is this genuine or is it people in the media having a waaaah about Haddin?
It's nice that it's not us with all these BS stories about us.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Does anyone know for sure whether or not Haddin was going to be dropped anyway before the Lords Test. He certainly appeared to be on the brink.

Tangles

Does anyone know for sure whether or not Haddin was going to be dropped anyway before the Lords Test. He certainly appeared to be on the brink.
We don't know. Seems like it was being discussed but his withdrawal made they didn't have to decide till the next test. But by then they had gotten a free look at how well Nev could do. So I think that helped tip the balance. I honestly doubt they would have dropped him. On the precipice but would have survived.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They confirmed he was going to be picked for Lord's. As a result, I'm not at all surprised or disappointed that they are some within the camp who are unhappy with the 'dropping'

Niall

International Coach
They confirmed he was going to be picked for Lord's. As a result, I'm not at all surprised or disappointed that they are some within the camp who are unhappy with the 'dropping'
Rogers in an interview said something like "I'l talk about it after the tour" in an interview so it definitely caused some issues with the senior players at least.