• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at the MCG

JBH001

International Regular
He's played a bit straighter so far... That one there a decent example. That's the one he played across in Perth.
Yeah. Not sure I agree with the comms team, tbh. I think Jimmy is bowling a little too straight to Hughes. I don't think he has the pace or bounce to really trouble him with that line. Tremlett, though, is a different matter entirely.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jaffer from Tremlett there.. Moved a mile.

Ponting playing the ball late here, within himself. Come on Ricky. Today please!

Last edited:

pskov

International 12th Man
If that was a hit Hughes was gone and I'd be giving him a bollocking if were the Aussie coach. Sure it was a crazy call from Ponting, but he didn't even bother putting in the dive. He wasn't all that far away, it could've made the difference.

JBH001

International Regular
Yeah, that's a fair criticism. I'm not completely convinced he's a Test standard batsman, but his technique doesn't seem to be exposed any more by lively wickets. His hundreds in South Africa were on decent bowling wickets and he's scored some Shield hundreds on terrible batting decks. This game is a perfect example. Scored 93 out of a team total of 172 and then backed it up with 108 out of 173. Tasmania scored 127 in between.

He may or may not be consistent enough, especially at this stage, to be a good Test batsman but lively wickets aren't his problem.

Yeah, fair play. I guess I shouldn't have called him a FTB, just a poor test class opening batsman. I guess my dislike of Hughes made me reach for the FTB term even though it's probably not entirely accurate. He's just looked so **** whenever I've seen him bat.

That's a better line, Jimmy. Hughes should have been run out earlier too. England missing a few chances today.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
****ing ******** Nine/WIN. That's twice they've swapped to adds in the middle of an over.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To be fair to Ricky there, the ball pulled up like a well-struck pitching wedge on the second bounce. Hopefully they won't do it again.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Tremlett is a walking, talking, wicket-taking example of why Stuart Clark should still be in the frame for Australia. I don't think Clark's quite as good a bowler as Tremlett anymore but there's not that much in it at all. I'd rather see him in the team than Hilfenhaus or Siddle at this point.

King Pietersen

International Captain
These 2 making it look a lot worse than it actually is though TBF. Sure Jimmeh and Tremlett have got it moving and bouncing a touch, but it's not hooping round corners and seaming all over the shop. It's a decent Test wicket. Oh, and these 2 are gonna ton up here.

pskov

International 12th Man
Judging by the first 40 minutes you have to think anything more than 300 would be a fair effort from Australia here.

JBH001

International Regular
Jimmy looking too hard for the miracle ball pitching on leg and shaping to the top of off.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Am liking this more reserved Ponting. Playing within himself today.

If Clarke gets a hit (unlikely I know :ph34r: ) I hope he does the same.