• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at Headingley

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Respect to Onions for this:

Graham Onions said the players tried not to listen to what was happening in the stands and hoped Ponting would be treated better. "He's one of the best batsmen in the world, if not the best, so I would never boo him," he said. "I have too much respect for him."

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd pick Lee for Headingley, in for Siddle. Can't imagine his bowling has gone from unbelievably good to 100% pure bull in the four weeks he was out injured.

Also, I'm not really very convinced of Peter Siddle at the moment. When he bowls well he hits batsmen a lot and maybe picks up a wicket or two, and when he bowls badly he's a liability. Lee's a liability when he bowls badly but at least when he bowls well he takes buckets of wickets.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
How have the stats failed? Have you given a gander to Swann's figures this series? I encourage you to. Ironic that you even consider stats here; weren't you ignoring them when we were talking about Flintoff before?

There was a big debate in another thread if you recall about how good Swann is. He isn't that good and by the two good sides he has faced in his career he has been belted. You GMAFB. Having 1 decent test and two absolutely rank bad ones doesn't mean a bowler is doing OK. He's averaging almost 60 with the ball FFS.

Amen.
I wasn't referring to Swann's stats; I was talking about how you ignored the most important stat currently - the fact that it's 1-0.

Swann has had two poor Tests FTR, and one great one. If he has another good one and we win it, I don't give a **** if he winds up averaging 100 for the series.

He never got 'belted' by India really, but the scorecard probably said he did, so good call 8-)

On a separate note, what's GMAFB?

irfan

State Captain
My Ideal XI Likely XI
Hughes Watto
Katman Katman
Ponting Ponting
Clarke Clarke
Watto Hussey
North North
Haddin Haddin
Johnson Johnson
Hauritz Hauritz
Clark Lee
Hilf Hilf

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
LOL @ dropping Hussey. Would absolutely love it if Clark gets chosen. Can anyone see him actually bowling badly?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lee really shouldn't play before bowling in a FC game imo. If he gets the nod over Clark, the latter has probably played his last test.
There's no more First-Class cricket left on the trip apart from the last two Tests.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, agreed. The whole thing is a little too messianic.

Better if they played a fit St. Paul, i.e. Clark.
Does that make Lee Jesus? Pretty sure JC took just three days to get over his injury issues. Watson seemingly shaping up as a Doubting Thomas with the press conference comments.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
First-Class cricket must be a minimum of three days. That's why I say "there's no more First-Class cricket on this tour outside the Tests" TBH.

pasag

RTDAS
Will be away for the weekend with no net access. Agree with Nufan that this match has all the makings of a classic. The Ashes all comes down to this match. Ponting for a ton, can't wait. This whole series has gone so fast, amazing to think that it's nearly over.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Trott & Harmy in with Broad joining Fred on the sidelines would seem the way to go then.

Love Sid, but if the ball don't swing we'd be totally ****ed with him, Jimmy & Cheesen in the team.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Will be away for the weekend with no net access. Agree with Nufan that this match has all the makings of a classic. The Ashes all comes down to this match. Ponting for a ton, can't wait. This whole series has gone so fast, amazing to think that it's nearly over.
Yeah, don't really like this two-lots-of-back-to-back Tests stuff. So much better when there's 10 days between each Ashes match, IMO.

pup11

International Coach
Australia consider pace barrage

This is absolute nonsense imo,. Hauritz' place seems to be in danger because they wanna somehow accomadate Lee into the side, Clark/Siddle, Hilf and Johnson seem likely to be the other three quicks.

Ponting has himself said that the pitch at Headingley looks dry and hard, but still for some reason he seems to think the ball would/could seam around, and if he thinks he would be better served having an extra quick to exploit the swinging conditions, then its time to realise that apart from Hilfy, none of the other Aussie quicks really swing the ball, so I really don't know what he is talking about.

pup11

International Coach
Yeah, just can't wait for the play to start, but I hope rain doesn't play spoilsport, personally I'm tipping Mr.Cricket to have a great game, backing him to hit the winning runs or take the winning catch, and be the MOTM...

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I reckon if T_C was a selector, we'd still have 11 test players instead of 400-odd. Ever advocated a change to the Aussie side in your life? I'm not saying Lee should play btw, just saying that your default post is "Nah, unchanged, they're all doing great."
Bull****. I, for one, have said I don't think Hussey shouldn't be in the side right now (not they they could drop him, though, what with the lack of back-up batter like Hodge). I also agree Siddle needs a spell, just haven't had occasion to say it because, well, it seems a forgone conclusion and I don't see a point in saying what everyone else is already saying, 'specially if I already agree with it.