• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Trent Bridge, Nottingham - Aug 4-8 - 2021

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Likely XIs -

EnglandIndia
Rory BurnsRohit Sharma
Dom SibleyK L Rahul
Dan Lawrence / Zak CrawleyCheteshwar Pujara
Joe Root (c)Virat Kohli (c)
Ollie PopeAjinkya Rahane (vc)
Jos Buttler (wk) (vc)Rishabh Pant (wk)
Sam CurranRavindra Jadeja
Ollie RobinsonRavichandran Ashwin
Jack LeachIshant Sharma
Stuart BroadMohammed Shami / Mohammed Siraj
James AndersonJasprit Bumrah

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I don't see Lawrence being an option at 3. If we're right about Buttler and Curran at 6 & 7 respectively, then Lawrence and Pope are competing for one play at number 5. We've left out Bairstow, Bess, Hameed and Wood, which seems fair enough to me.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Stokes's withdrawal really, really hurts that English lineup. They do play better at home but will be tough to see them staying with this team.

Why did Rahul overtake Gill, though?

EDIT: Didn't realise Gill was injured.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Indian batting lineup is definitely short of form, and playing in English conditions is the hardest place for them to regain it. It'll be fantastic watching!

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
i think england will win this series easily...india's batting is too fragile especially in english conditions...

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
i think england will win this series easily...india's batting is too fragile especially in english conditions...
England's batting is pretty fragile in English conditions too. India have a good chance of winning the series.

OverratedSanity

Stokes's withdrawal really, really hurts that English lineup. They do play better at home but will be tough to see them staying with this team.

Why did Rahul overtake Gill, though?

EDIT: Didn't realise Gill was injured.
Gill also looked dreadful in India against Anderson. In any case, even without Stokes, England should be favourites for the series. India's bating is at its lowest collective level since the 90s.

Dropping Jadeja is a mistake imo but if they do it for an extra pacer its atleast understandable. But the tail is so terrible that without him, India is pretty much 5 out allout.

Cricket.Ticket

Cricket Spectator
I have tickets for India vs England @Lords on Sat, 14th August and Sun, 15th Aug. Unfortunately I can't go as will be quaranting after India visit.

Drop me a line cricket.ticket2021 @ gmail . com if anyone interested to buy.

Uppercut

How does the India attack match up to England’s?

Their batting looks a lot better on paper, even if they’re out of form and in unfavourable conditions. But England have a good attack out.

Niall

International Coach
England are strong favs, India's batting is not good.

The top order is unimpressive, Rohit who is a SC bully, Rahul average in tests, Rahane and Pujara who are inconsistent and in probable decline while Kohli is slighty decining. Pant is a loon while the lower order is a disgrace.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I feel this England side is far too fragile to be declared as strong favourites. All it takes is for Kohli to return to form and the likes of Pujara/Rahane to make decent contributions and India will be game in every test. They have an extremely strong bowling attack which will makes the series close imo

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
That is just sad and shows how much Rahane has declined though. I would actually say in terms of scoring runs than just looking good out there, it goes -

Pant
Jadeja
Rohit
Virat

right now. Virat has to get out of his own head a bit and see how to get runs than just trying to play every ball in the most perfect way possible. That has only gotten pretty 40s and 70s at best.