• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at The Gabba

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I remember in an ODI in around 2006 against SL they had a problem with the roof because it was half closed or something and it created an awkward shadow on the pitch, surely it wouldn't be that hard to get right though

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I remember in an ODI in around 2006 against SL they had a problem with the roof because it was half closed or something and it created an awkward shadow on the pitch, surely it wouldn't be that hard to get right though
Yeah the shadows at Etihad are a concern when the roof is open, no doubt about it. Would be difficult to play during the day because of it probably.

Last edited:

Hooksey

Banned
I was at Etihad for an 'A' League soccer Grand Final a few years back and they played a substantial portion of the match with half the roof closed, and rain falling onto only half of the pitch. It didn't stop Melbourne Victory beating Adelaide 6-0.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
the problem with the gabba isn't even (only) the concrete. lack of shade, lack of transport, lack of parking, length of queue's to get overpriced half strength liquor, length of queues to get overpriced ****house "food", overzealous (to the point of ridiculous) big brother security people and policies. i mean a friend of mine was nearly kicked out, he had to throw out his subway he brought to the ground because kfc was the sponsor of the cricket.
There's a fair bit of shade there to be honest, but it depends on where you sit. Have generally found the security to be the same as elsewhere, but what happened to your mate with the Subway was a bit ridiculous. Only issue I have had with them is when I took a telephoto lens in that stood out like dog's balls cause it was a cream colour (same colour as the lenses you see on the boundary). I'd looked at the website beforehand and it was within the Gabba's regulations (maximum focal length of 200mm) but this bloke tried to tell me I couldn't use it. Told him what it said on the website and he left me alone.

Hooksey

Banned
how about they just play FC cricket at the junction oval?
I've been to District finals at the Junction oval and it's a good venue for small-time stuff. They were going to rename it the Shane Warne oval, but that seems to have fallen by the wayside.